Rexing V1P SE review

LMAO
The only reason I made that stupid test pattern is because ever since 2019 I knew the manufacturer claimed FOV specifications were false & misleading but, I wasn’t smart enough to prove it.
So it started with a simple yardstick on the wall.
Then we had a string of out of focus issues across all manufacturers, Viofo, Vantrue, BlackVue so I came up with that background to help me check focus indoors, before I check focus outdoors.

I don’t understand what you mean?
Could you rephrase that.
I’d like to answer.

Here’s how the FCC ID# kind of works.
Usually the first 5 alpha numeric digits is the “Grantee Code” that identifies the manufacturer.
Then a dash -
Everything after the dash refers to the model / device.
Once a full FCC ID# is established with the first model of a product, subsequent models that have been “upgraded” with new components / features still use the original FCC ID#
For example the FCC ID# for the very first Viofo A129 Duo (2018) is 2AMBW-A129 (2018-07-03).
As you know we’ve had several models in the A129 Series;
A129 Duo 1080p
A129 Pro 4K
A129 Plus 2K
A129 Plus eMMC
A129 Plus IR
They all share the same FCC ID #
So the FCC ID# for the Rexing V1P SE (2AW5W-V1PGW) is for the first model when the application was filed on 2021-12-06.
It looks like there have been 2, or 3 model upgrades since the original model.
Me; "How do you know/ prove that the seller doesn't make claims that they use these but is also fake/lying information? Pull the dashcam apart?"
You; I don’t understand what you mean?
Sure-
How do you know the hardware inside the dashcam is actually what they claim?
Being someone who doesn't trust anyone until I know them I expect false advertising as the norm.
I can only think of two ways to prove what is in a device,
1. pull it apart and check the codes stamped on the parts. (I know there are counterfeit chips out there but that is another topic.)
2. Analyse the firmware and see what items they call to enable them and what libraries are being used. eg reverse engineer the code. It would require an in-depth knowledge of the chips.

You can also tell to some extent by the clarity of the image etc but it doesn't prove what is in the device but just that it does a good job.

To be clear I am not naming any brands.

Yeah I figured that for the fcc but if you don't know the codes how do you find the reports?

"So the FCC ID# for the Rexing V1P SE (2AW5W-V1PGW) is for the first model when the application was filed on 2021-12-06.
It looks like there have been 2, or 3 model upgrades since the original model."

So @Vortex Radar might be referring to an older model (version) that wasn't a 4K unit? I see he did a review way back about fake 4k dashcams.
Would be interesting if he could through some light on why he said it is a fake 4k.

OK, I get what your saying now.
This is partly why I started my library of test footage from every dash cam I’ve ever tested on my second YouTube Channel;
All the videos are Unlisted, but I have them categorized in Public Playlists so they can be easily located by anyone.
https://www.youtube.com/@PanzerUnlisted/playlists
May 2022 RICILAR sent me (2) dash cams for test & review.
The RICILAR CR612 FCC ID# 2A5U2-CR612 is advertized as 4K + 2K dual dash cam with Sony STARVIS image sensors.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B09VXMLPKJ
RICILAR CR612 .png

Within 5 seconds of watching the night time test footage I could tell these were obviously fake / counterfeit cameras.
The footage from the rear camera was almost pitch black, compared to another camera I had installed to make side by side comparisons with.
Then I started analyzing the file sizes of the video clips.
I found the file size, Bitrate, and image quality was unchanged no matter what resolution I selected 4K, 2K, 1080p (of course that doesn't prove anything but I found it suspicious).
After a week of testing I put together a preliminary report of everything I found wrong with the camera, and suggested things to fix with a firmware update, and emailed it to the representative who sent me the cameras along with these questions, and concerns;
1.) What image sensors are used for the front & rear cameras.
2.) What is the processor chipset?
I told the representative I believe these cameras to be fake / counterfeit units.
Almost all of the claimed specifications were false & misleading.
The next email I received from the representative said;
“We’re so sorry, we will lower the price of the camera, can you go ahead with a positive review video on your YouTube channel?”
My next email to her was to request a return shipping label to return the cameras.
Two weeks later 8 different YouTube reviews of the RICILAR CR612 were published by the folks I refer to as Home Shopping Network / QVC / Lifestyle Vlogers giving glowing rave reviews hailing it as a good buy.
Just YouTube search: RICILAR CR612 to see these folks.

Here’s two comparison screenshots;

CR612 .png
DDPAI Mini5 .png

Here’s the videos the screenshots were taken from.
Take notice of the clouds illuminated by only the moonlight on the Mini5;

Yeah I figured that for the fcc but if you don't know the codes how do you find the reports?
The easy way is to just google the manufacturer's name + FCC ID.
This doesn’t always work because sometimes the “brand name” is different from the actual company that made the product.
Kind of like DBA (doing business as).
So @Vortex Radar might be referring to an older model (version) that wasn't a 4K unit? I see he did a review way back about fake 4k dashcams.
Would be interesting if he could through some light on why he said it is a fake 4k.
Ariel explained all this in the video.

When Sam Rexing sent me a PM Jan 22, 2024 to review their cameras I looked at their entire line up of cameras.
Every single unit at first glance appears to be fake / counterfeit made from the same knock off chassis as all the unbranded junk sold on AliExpress.

PM .png

Last edited:
4.) Does it support HDR? Not sure if you mean HDR for TV but the V1P SE supports WDR (wide dynamic range) so nighttime recording is good. I think a lot of dashcams say HDR in place of WDR. My product photos on the Mega link shows all the menu options.
Looks like you have missed a couple of years on dashcam industry!
Sure, a lot's of garbage dashcams are equiped with false performance, but it's kind of your job to know what and when...
This is what HDR does( on dashcams of course, not TV's :)) ) .
It helps you reading license plates on night time footage for oncoming cars for example. In certain conditions, of course.

Also WDR does absolutely nothing to night time performance.

The fake 4K thing was more prevalent 5 years ago.
There are still plenty of dashcams with false 4K claiming performance. As a reviewer, professional or not, you need to know for sure, not assuming.

Last edited:
OK, I get what your saying now.
This is partly why I started my library of test footage from every dash cam I’ve ever tested on my second YouTube Channel;
All the videos are Unlisted, but I have them categorized in Public Playlists so they can be easily located by anyone.
https://www.youtube.com/@PanzerUnlisted/playlists
May 2022 RICILAR sent me (2) dash cams for test & review.
The RICILAR CR612 FCC ID# 2A5U2-CR612 is advertized as 4K + 2K dual dash cam with Sony STARVIS image sensors.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B09VXMLPKJ
View attachment 72317

Within 5 seconds of watching the night time test footage I could tell these were obviously fake / counterfeit cameras.
The footage from the rear camera was almost pitch black, compared to another camera I had installed to make side by side comparisons with.
Then I started analyzing the file sizes of the video clips.
I found the file size, Bitrate, and image quality was unchanged no matter what resolution I selected 4K, 2K, 1080p (of course that doesn't prove anything but I found it suspicious).
After a week of testing I put together a preliminary report of everything I found wrong with the camera, and suggested things to fix with a firmware update, and emailed it to the representative who sent me the cameras along with these questions, and concerns;
1.) What image sensors are used for the front & rear cameras.
2.) What is the processor chipset?
I told the representative I believe these cameras to be fake / counterfeit units.
Almost all of the claimed specifications were false & misleading.
The next email I received from the representative said;
“We’re so sorry, we will lower the price of the camera, can you go ahead with a positive review video on your YouTube channel?”
My next email to her was to request a return shipping label to return the cameras.
Two weeks later 8 different YouTube reviews of the RICILAR CR612 were published by the folks I refer to as Home Shopping Network / QVC / Lifestyle Vlogers giving glowing rave reviews hailing it as a good buy.
Just YouTube search: RICILAR CR612 to see these folks.

Here’s two comparison screenshots;

View attachment 72318
View attachment 72319

Here’s the videos the screenshots were taken from.
Take notice of the clouds illuminated by only the moonlight on the Mini5;

The easy way is to just google the manufacturer's name + FCC ID.
This doesn’t always work because sometimes the “brand name” is different from the actual company that made the product.
Kind of like DBA (doing business as).

Ariel explained all this in the video.

When Sam Rexing sent me a PM Jan 22, 2024 to review their cameras I looked at their entire line up of cameras.
Every single unit at first glance appears to be fake / counterfeit made from the same knock off chassis as all the unbranded junk sold on AliExpress.

View attachment 72320
Funnily enough Sam said they will have Starvis 2 solutions coming soon. Have to take that with a big grain of salt LoL

Me; "How do you know/ prove that the seller doesn't make claims that they use these but is also fake/lying information? Pull the dashcam apart?"
You; I don’t understand what you mean?
Sure-
Being someone who doesn't trust anyone until I know them I expect false advertising as the norm.
I can only think of two ways to prove what is in a device,
1. pull it apart and check the codes stamped on the parts. (I know there are counterfeit chips out there but that is another topic.)
2. Analyse the firmware and see what items they call to enable them and what libraries are being used. eg reverse engineer the code. It would require an in-depth knowledge of the chips.

You can also tell to some extent by the clarity of the image etc but it doesn't prove what is in the device but just that it does a good job.

To be clear I am not naming any brands.

"So the FCC ID# for the Rexing V1P SE (2AW5W-V1PGW) is for the first model when the application was filed on 2021-12-06.
It looks like there have been 2, or 3 model upgrades since the original model."

Like chuck said, the probability that it's not a 4k sensor is pretty damn high. The FCC has the filings in date order and Rexing has been releasing the same thing with incremental improvements like wifi or 512gb microSD card support. Not actual new products with better or newer sensors. Don't know why you have such a big bone to pick with Ariel though.

Don't know why you have such a big bone to pick with Ariel though.
As Chuck would say
Incorrect.
Your way off.
Obviously based on my innocent question it has been misinterpreted. Yep I'm naive so I ask questions. No malice ever intended.

If the Dashcam was just released which i thought it was i was surprised vortex, Ariel, new that was a fake 4k dashcam.
If it is a new release then it stood to reason Rexing may have made a true 4K.
Ariel's review was over two years ago so based on my assumption this was a new Dashcam it made sense to ask him.
@Vortex Radar would you mind clarifying what you wrote.

Thanks

As Chuck would say
Incorrect.
Your way off.
Obviously based on my innocent question it has been misinterpreted. Yep I'm naive so I ask questions. No malice ever intended.

If the Dashcam was just released which i thought it was i was surprised vortex, Ariel, new that was a fake 4k dashcam.
If it is a new release then it stood to reason Rexing may have made a true 4K.
Ariel's review was over two years ago so based on my assumption this was a new Dashcam it made sense to ask him.
@Vortex Radar would you mind clarifying what you wrote.

Thanks
Its been explained by Ariel in his video about fake 4k, and Chuck and I have tried explaining to you that it isn't real 4k but you still continue on asking the same question. How's Ariel going to clarify what he already said and explained. It's like you're saying "prove it then, prove it, go on, prove it".

If you had done some simple Googling, the V1P SE was listed on Amazon in September 2023. A YouTube review was floating around in late 2023 of it. What else can we say?

hehe, well Rexing is well known to produce fake 4K dashcams. When asked directly which sensor the model uses, Rexing dances around the question by telling us the processor instead which is a bit of a red flag. To give him the benefit of the doubt though, it could have been a misunderstanding. Perhaps @Sam_Rexing could help clarify.

This V1P SE seems to be an upgraded version of the V1P which was launched with a 2MP IMX323 sensor. Has the sensor changed since? The change they report with the SE is that it now supports cards up to 512 GB.

They sold the V1 4K with a 4MP OV4689 sensor so Rexing putting "4K" in the name is kinda meaningless.

With more expensive 2CH models like the V1P Max that is also advertised as 4K/1080p, they tell us they use the 8MP OS08A10 up front so it actually is a 4K model, plus Rexing tells us that the "front camera captures REAL 4K 3840 x 2160 video." Is "Real" how they denote a dashcam that uses an 8MP sensor?

With the V1P SE, we don't see that same verbiage about it being a "Real" 4K dashcam. That said, even we they did, that wouldn't be definitive either. For example, they also use the same verbiage for the V5 about “REAL 4K” even though they explicitly mention it using an IMX335, lol, so we know Rexing's marketing doesn't limit the term "Real" exclusively for actual 4K dashcams the way some other manufacturers do.

Either way, is it possible the V1P SE is truly a 4K unit? I suppose it could be given that Rexing does use 4K sensors in some other models, plus I haven’t found mention yet confirming explicitly which sensor the SE uses, but so far I haven’t seen anything that would suggest that it is which is why I said I believe it's another fake 4K model. If anything, it seems to be an upgrade to one of their lower end models. I'd be happy to be wrong though, and if I am I apologize. I'd love to see Rexing make more and more real 4K models.

If the Dashcam was just released which i thought it was
Just to clarify the dash cam being reviewed in this thread was released before January 2024, so it’s at least 6 months old.
When asked directly which sensor the model uses
Even if the V1P SE has a legitimate 4K image sensor it’s still a Fake 4K camera.
The fact that it drops to 25fps in two channel configuration meets the “industry standard definition” of Fake 4K.
Real / True 4K must meet 3 Minimum Requirements;
1.) 3840 x 2160 Resolution
2.) 30fps Frame Rate
3.) 16:9 Aspect Ratio
Anything less than than these 3 specifications automatically deems the camera to be a Fake / Counterfeit unit.
This is why I have never liked the A139 Pro, and only ever recommended it in 1-CH configuration.
Because in 3-CH configuration it drops to;
1.) 3840 x 1600 Resolution
2.) 24fps Frame Rate
3.) 21:9 Aspect Ratio
I talk about it at 11:00 in my review video;

Imagine my relief in September 2023 when I learned the A229 Pro can manage 3840 x 2160 @ 30fps in 3-CH configuration, (that means I don’t have to dedicate a chapter in my review called Fake 4K).
I'd love to see Rexing make more and more real 4K models.
I also wish Rexing would stop faffing around with state of the art advertising, and start producing real / genuine products because then it might light a fire under Viofo to get their ducks in a row. Lol
Check out their latest YouTube video of the Rexing RH2 it’s available in 2, 3, 4 channel configuration, and you guess it, it also appears to be another Fake 4K unit;

Last edited:
Back