S1-Pro Rear Camera

DT MI

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
More than my wife thinks I need.
It appears the rear camera for the S1-Pro may be something new to the Vantrue lineup. In one of the E4 threads I was asked what rear camera was used for the S1P and based on physical appearance I suggested it may be the RC-04. Looking into it further it appears it may actually be a higher resolution camera, at least based on the printed markings. It is certainly not an 'off the shelf' stock RC-04. The following is my post in the E4 forum thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Possibly it's the RC-04 based on physical appearance. There are no markings on the camera that I can see that provide a specific model number. There's not even a "Vantrue" name imprinted on it as is the case with the N4 Pro pictures - https://www.vantrue.net/product/n4pro.

Maybe a new rear camera for the S1-Pro?... but that doesn't make a lot of sense given it's a 1080P camera and Vantrue already has one in their product line. :unsure:

rearcam.JPG

Update: This piqued my interest so I dug a bit deeper and just maybe this is a new rear camera. In your pics early in this thread the camera is clearly labeled as Model RC-04. In the same location on my S1-Pro rear camera is printed "2M COMS SENSOR" which leads me to think it may be a higher resolution sensor that's limited to 1080 by the firmware (pure speculation on my part).

rearcam2-sm.jpg

Back in early September 2023, I was asking my Vantrue contact about the firmware download pages/links for the S1 Pro. He stated this:
Hi Robert

Thanks for the feedback, I have given feedback to the engineers, the S1 Pro rear camera software is the same as the N4 Pro RC04.

Thank you

Could it be possible that it's just an unlabelled RC-04?
The 2MP and the physical appearance appear to be identical. Just the RC-04 print is missing.
I don't really think the resolution is higher. Why should it be

Back in early September 2023, I was asking my Vantrue contact about the firmware download pages/links for the S1 Pro. He stated this:
You were faster :ROFLMAO:

The firmware is identical for both rear cams, so it is basically the same RC-04 just without the print on it:

Makes me wonder why they do this.
It would be cheaper to just make one variation. Maybe this is a different batch where they left it out. Who knows...

Could it be possible that it's just an unlabelled RC-04?...

...It would be cheaper to just make one variation. Maybe this is a different batch where they left it out. Who knows...
That is the question for sure. Why make 2 versions of the same thing? Maybe changed suppliers...

Anyhow, it was just something different I noticed and had questions about.

Back