S500 “Virtual” Test & Review PP

Panzer Platform

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
2024 Minimum Requirements: STARVIS 2 & HDR
If this is your first time reading one of my lame reviews keep in mind I am not a professional dash cam reviewer.
I often reveal my intelligence showing how little I know.
I have no education, training, or experience in computers, electronics, or photography.
I aspire to be the average “dumb guy”.
I have no idea why companies keep asking / sending me dash cams to test & review.
I continue to bring attention to unacceptable image quality performance.
Often times after spending 30 days testing a dash cam I realize there is nothing good I can say about the unit, and send it back to the manufacturer.
This time around I don’t even think the 70mai S500 is ready for an unboxing let alone spending 30 days testing it.
But I still kind of like it because I think the 2nd Gen model has potential to be a good rental car / travel unit.
70mai offered to send me some dash cams for test & review.
I declined the A810 because it uses a battery instead of a capacitor.
However, the S500 caught my eye;
After getting hold of the full specifications from the 70mai representative I declined this model too, but I think the 2nd generation with some improvements would be worth taking a look at for the rental car / travel segment.

Like most testers here I regularly get emails from the worst companies making the absolute worst garbage / junk products sold on Amazon, eBay, AliExpress etc. asking me to “promote” their product, and make a YouTube Video Review about it.
I would say for every for every 50 junk products, there is only 1 that is actually good.
70mai is not one of those companies churning out garbage / junk dash cams.
My top 3 favorite “best” Chinese dash cam manufacturers are;
1.) Viofo
2.) Vantrue & 70mai (tie for 2nd place).
For the most part almost everything else is counterfeit, junk / garbage.
Of course you will see these junk brands have thousands of fake reviews on Amazon, and there is no shortage of YouTube influencers giving rave reviews never providing any “cons” whatsoever.
I call these YouTube channels Home Shopping Network / QVC, or Lifestyle Vloggers.
There’s only a handful of true dash cam Subject Matter Experts on YouTube.
My favorite ones are;
There’s a few more but these are my go to experts.
OK, enough ranting more about the S500.

SPECIFICATIONS:
US MSRP: Unknown At This Time (I’m guessing $150)
FCC ID: 2AOK9-S500; https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/2AOK9-S500/
Processor: SigmaStar 8826Q
Front Image Sensor: IMX675 STARVIS 2
Front Resolution: (2592 x 1944) 30fps
Front Bitrate: 24 Mbps
Optional CPL Filter: Yes (model # S500/M300)
Rear Image Sensor: SC200AI (RC13)
Rear Resolution: (1920 x 1080) 25fps
Rear Bitrate: 12 Mbps
HDR: Yes (front & rear)
Aperture: F1.8
FOV: 138° (both)
Max SD Card: 128GB
Power Cable Connection: USB Micro (yuck)
Parking Mode: Collision Detection & Time Lapse (no Low Bitrate)
Super Capacitor: Yes
Voice Control: Yes
GPS: No
Wi-Fi: 2.4GHz only (no 5GHz)
Video Codec: H.265
Video Format: MP4
Audio Format: AAC
Loop Recording: 1/2/3 Minutes
APP: 70mai (iOS & Android)
OTA Firmware Updates: Yes
Hardwire Kit Available: Yes (UP02)
Cloud Connectivity: No

PROS:
Temporary installation of front camera is a good option for rental car / travel, (forget the rear cam).
IMX675 STARVIS 2 (front camera)
HDR
Super Capacitor

CONS:
Only one Front Camera resolution setting, and it’s the “wrong” one (2592 x 1944) this means the Aspect Ratio is 4:3 (yuck)
Rear Camera - SC200AI Image Sensor
Rear Camera - 25fps
USB Micro power connection (not Type-C)
“Small” 128GB SD Card capacity
Only 2.4GHz Wi-Fi, (no 5GHz)
No GPS for speed & coordinates
No Low Bitrate Parking Mode
No H.264 Codec

FINAL THOUGHTS:
Looking forward to testing the 2nd Gen model with suggested improvements c’mon 2025!

IMPROVEMENT WISHLIST:
1.) IMX675 STARVIS 2 Both channels (front & rear)
2.) 2560 x 1440p 30fps Both channels (front & rear)
3.) USB Type-C power connection
4.) 512GB SD Card max capacity
5.) Dual Band Wi-Fi (2.4GHz & 5GHz)
6.) Built-in GPS (not external) with GPS Coordinates & Speed on recorded footage
7.) Low Bitrate Parking Mode (continuous recording at 4 Mbps with audio)

1 .png
2 .png
3 .png

My most hated Aspect Ratio, the dreaded 4:3

Whoa, Black Betty .png

Last edited:
A rep from 70mai reached out to me about reviewing the S500. I declined other 70mai review requests because they contain Li-Ion batteries, but the S500 uses a super capacitor. My second dash camera test vehicle had center rear view mirror that was easily moved when there's any amount of direct sunlight on it. Last night, I fixed that by installing the manual flip mirror I removed from my primary review vehicle when I added a Gentex auto-dimming/Homelink mirror. If the 70mai rep decides to send the S500 to me, I'll see how well it works.

When I first leaned about the S500 it ticked some of my boxes for a worthy test & review subject.
IMX675 STARVIS 2
HDR
H.264 Codec

However, the nails in the coffin are;
1.) 4:3 Aspect Ratio of the Front Camera, (there is no resolution selection for 2560x1440p).
4:3 has to be the worst aspect ratio for a dash cam 50% of the frame is dashboard, and sky. lol
2.) USB Micro power connection would be a pain to deal with, (not Type-C)
3.) No 5GHz Wi-Fi

Last edited:
Sort of related, well at least to 70 mai, i noticed today apparently the APP had updated and i now needed to log into some 70mai account to get onto the A800S or the Omni on my windscreen.
Not sure if this is a sign of Cloud cameras coming from them, but still funny you have to log in to access two old systems.

Sort of related, well at least to 70 mai, i noticed today apparently the APP had updated and i now needed to log into some 70mai account to get onto the A800S or the Omni on my windscreen.
Not sure if this is a sign of Cloud cameras coming from them, but still funny you have to log in to access two old systems.
This sounds like the BlackVue APP disaster from last year.
It required existing users to register for an account to just change simple settings with the APP, even though they were not subscribed to the cloud service;

If 70mai has this requirement to use their cameras I will most likely never test & review their dash cams.
And yes, they have a new upgraded 4G Cloud module coming out called the Midrive UP05;

@Caffine_Addicted
1.) Why do you believe Low Bitrate Parking Mode is necessary, in addition to Collision Detection & Time Lapse?
2.) Which of the three do you prefer?

1.)
Low Bitrate Parking Mode is necessary is to capture audio.
We’ve seen users on this forum report parking mode failed to capture incidents like keying / damage to the sides of the car because the perpetrator is out of view of the front & rear cameras.
Audio recording will capture what the cameras can’t, (sounds of the car being keyed / damaged).
In my opinion audio is 50% of the recorded footage / evidence.

2.)
If you look at the number of posts, and tech support inquiries on this forum, Collision Detection (AED) is the least reliable parking mode.
Time Lapse is more reliable than AED, (but no audio).
Low Bitrate Parking Mode is reliable, and also captures audio.
Just between me, and you I do not use parking mode.
In the rare times I leave my car unattended I operate the dash cams in Normal Recording Mode to achieve the highest possible image quality.

Last edited:
It is a product that I have been following for a long time and I occasionally checked to see if there were any titles here.
I just saw it and it is a device that caught my attention because it has an S500 capacitor. In fact, while I was waiting for @viofo , which I have long thought to be the best among capacitor cameras, to make a move on a capacitor, rear-view mirror camera, I can say that 70mai attracted attention with the S500.

The first disadvantage of the S500 that caught my eye is that it is an up-to-date camera and the power adapter connection is micro USB. This creates the image of an old camera. In my opinion it should have been type-c.
I hope manufacturers take the articles here into consideration and we can see more functional cameras in the future with user-oriented advice and suggestions.

The first disadvantage of the S500 that caught my eye is that it is an up-to-date camera and the power adapter connection is micro USB. This creates the image of an old camera. In my opinion it should have been type-c.
Correct.
It looks like they just swapped the image sensor on the “original” 70mai “Rearview Dash Cam Wide” that was released in 2019;
That would explain the “old” USB Micro power connection.

Hopeful the 2nd Gen S500 will be redesigned from the ground up with;
1.) USB Type-C power connection
2.) Upgraded processor to allow both channels have IMX675, and 2560 x 1440p 30fps
3.) 512GB SD Card support
4.) Dual Band Wi-Fi (2.4GHz & 5GHz)
5.) Built-in GPS (not external) with GPS Coordinates & Speed on recorded footage
6.) Low Bitrate Parking Mode (continuous recording at 4 Mbps with audio)

Correct.
It looks like they just swapped the image sensor on the “original” 70mai “Rearview Dash Cam Wide” that was released in 2019;
That would explain the “old” USB Micro power connection.

Hopeful the 2nd Gen S500 will be redesigned from the ground up with;
1.) USB Type-C power connection
2.) Upgraded processor to allow both channels have IMX675, and 2560 x 1440p 30fps
3.) 512GB SD Card support
4.) Dual Band Wi-Fi (2.4GHz & 5GHz)
5.) Built-in GPS (not external) with GPS Coordinates & Speed on recorded footage
6.) Low Bitrate Parking Mode (continuous recording at 4 Mbps with audio)

The available 1080p rear camera images are quite satisfactory. Bitrate efficient use can be achieved with 2k and 16:9 / 21:9 resolutions for the front camera. Because it is behind the windshield, this prevents possible sensors behind the mirror and the vehicle's front console from being recorded unnecessarily.

Another feature that distinguishes it from d07 is its touch screen. Some people view it negatively because of fingerprints, but if there is a screen in today's technology and its touchscreen nature, its practicality is an inevitable fact.

The available 1080p rear camera images are quite satisfactory.
Incorrect.
You just lost me Ogz. lol
2024 dash cam minimum requirements are;
STARVIS 2
HDR
1080p can pound sand.

The available 1080p rear camera images are quite satisfactory. Bitrate efficient use can be achieved with 2k and 16:9 / 21:9 resolutions for the front camera. Because it is behind the windshield, this prevents possible sensors behind the mirror and the vehicle's front console from being recorded unnecessarily.

Another feature that distinguishes it from d07 is its touch screen. Some people view it negatively because of fingerprints, but if there is a screen in today's technology and its touchscreen nature, its practicality is an inevitable fact.
Incorrect.
You just lost me Ogz. lol
2024 dash cam minimum requirements are;
STARVIS 2
HDR
1080p can pound sand.

We cannot directly call this wrong. or what is true should also be underlined.

There are many users who actively use this camera with the screen on for rear vision at night. It is also a camera preferred by vehicles with narrow or no rear windows.
You can say that 2024 vehicles have a rear view camera. However, many users, including me, drive vehicles without a rear view camera.

As far as I've seen, the current S500 rear camera images are quite good. Having a 2k rear camera and reducing the bitrate is not very convenient. Frankly, many features are accompanied by many factors, from turning the camera on to heating, from energy consumption to negative data storage.

The old micro usb port in S500, and the exact physical form from D07 are the pros for me. I upgraded from D07, and can reused both hardwire kit and the mirror bracket. The rear cam cable is the same as D07 too - no need to re-run.
The new touch screen is a nice upgrade over D07, but what made me to upgrade is the software improvement. Viewing angles of all front, rear, and reversing rear views are easily adjustable by screen scrolling. Voice command to lock video is intuitive. No more annoying start up and shutdown sounds. There are other improvements (and voice commands), but those are not of my interest.

The 4:3 image ratio is ugly, but it is due to the Sony sensor. And it's not truly affect my daily experience using the mirror.

The items in my wishlist with this S500 are the GPS function and faster wifi.

Today, I received my review S500 review unit from 70mai. I'll unbox it and start my initial review of it this week.

Incorrect.
It's the processor.
The processor can make 16:9 from 4:3, on the fly, with a considerable processing power needs and time delay. The dashcams have other higher priority than the needs of cropping the video input.

Today, I received my review S500 review unit from 70mai. I'll unbox it and start my initial review of it this week.
Right on, did you get a CPL Filter, and Hardwire Kit with it?

I received a 3-wire hardwire kit (Midrive UP02) and a 70mai 128GB memory card. There is no CPL filter available for the S500 (checked their website and user manual).

incorrect
not officially available.
It is a product with an alternative solution other than 70mai and you can buy it from various sellers.

In addition, brackets suitable for the mirror holder in your vehicle are also sold. In this way, you can remove the mirror in your vehicle and use only the camera for a more elegant use instead of two overlapping mirrors.

Looking at the info for that CPL it looks like it might be an aftermarket CPL made by a company with the name of Chezhilin. I don't know if Chezhilin and 70mai are associated with each other. The 70mai website has no CPL filters listed for any of the their dash camera models.

Back