The 522GW v Vantrue N4 pro (Part 1)

Decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been using the 522GW now and it’s predecessor the 512GW since 2016 ish. The 312 before that. It’s been issue free for me apart from some minor problems, generally with me failing to reading the instructions correctly.
I have now been offered the opportunity to try a Vantrue ‘N4 pro’ model. FOC I have to admit. This will not be a scientific, number crunching comparison, I’m sure most of you like me, couldn’t care less what power draw we use the second it’s switched on et etc. but a straight forward tell what I see review. Looking at, Ease of use, Value for money, Reliability, Playback etc.
At first I thought there really was no comparison between the two, until I checked prices, looking on Amazon (as an example) today, I see I was wrong.
Today (06/08/23) a 522 GW bundle will cost you £245.95 and incl an sd card. The N4pro will set you back £270.00 (OTA) Without an sd card. Both have options of hard wire kits at around £20.
As users of the 522GW you’re aware of what’s in the box, it’s abilities, it’s short coming. So I will not be going there. But offer a very general comparison.
The N4pro does have 3 active cameras, a front facing and cab camera combination plus the rear mounted camera,, it also uses Super Capacitors as it’s power sauce, something Nextbase users have been asking for for some time.
So until the unit arrives, watch out for Part 2.

It would be interesting if you included a Garmin.

It would be interesting if you included a Garmin.
If I had a Garmin Hey I would gladly compare that as well, but sadly I don’t. Whether they’d be prepared to lend me one I dont know. Which model where you interested in?

Possibly a Tandem.
I own a 67W in other car, front view only, very easy to use with iPhone.

Possibly a Tandem.
I own a 67W in other car, front view only, very easy to use with iPhone.
That sounds like a good idea Hey, N4 pro not arrived yet, but I was not given an indication as to when it might arrive, so for now patience is the word.

522 is 2k, N4Pro is 4k, so no direct comparison though.

Paul.

Paul, thank you for pointing that out to me, as my post said it would compare, ease of use , price , reliability and etc. it was never intended to be a like for like comparison.

There is always a lack of comparisons between new and "ancient", makes it hard for many people to know how worthwhile an upgrade is, especially when many 4K cameras are not noticeably better than 2K cameras, because they are actually fake 4K using 2K sensors! So do cover the image quality and plate capture differences, many will find it useful.

Nigel, that’s is exactly what I intended to do.

Any further updates on this as looking at the N5 to replace my 522 which even after factory resets occasionally refuses to boot up (and is on its FIFTH battery in 4 years)

Sadly not. The N4 Pro has still not arrived but I would suggest you look at the Vantrue pages and read what has already been submitted by others.
I’m not sure if it’s available yet in UK.

Part 2. First Impression.
Firstly a big thank you to Jeff and Vantrue, some months ago they reached out asking if I would like to partake in the N4pro trials. The unit has now arrived along with some very wet weather, and I would like to give my first impressions.
I received yesterday 8/12/23 the boxed dashcam ,Sd card, CPL (polarised filter), hard wire kit. Yes foc in return for some honest opinions, good or bad. This is my first ever review of such a product and I hope that someone finds it useful.

Straight out of the box,
What I did notice was the size of the unit, a hand full indeed, coming in at 208g compared to my Nextbase 522GW at a slight 125g. To cope with the weight there is electrostatic film, followed by adhesive promoter to ensure a good bond between windscreen and gps mount. A 3.2”screen and control buttons make it easy to setup. The gps mount, like the Nextbase 522 is magnetic, but easier to disengage but a snug solid fit incorporating the main power socket which is type C-usb.
The sd card fits snuggly into the end and is capable of taking a 512GB card.
The 40mm CPL screws directly to the front of the lense with movement to adjust and remove glare.
Power is supplied via the car charger which has a type C-usb built in. There are two hard wire kits available one with timers but both have low power protection, these are purchased separately to suit your own requirements.
The rear camera is small, light and plastic. Attached to the front of the vehicle with what looks like a very heavy weight cable, thick. A pity really, finer and lighter would have been much easier to hide. So it’s probably built to a standard.
Overall, the camera unit looks extremely well built, the rear one is quite flimsy but I think functional, as once installed there would be no need to touch it again.

Set up.
Once the camera is powered up and synchronised with your phone, set up can be done through your phone. But this is where I struggled, there where a couple of Vantrue apps within Apple store and it didn’t identify which was needed. My old iPhone struggled with the wifi setup. I can only hope this becomes easier with time and practice. But once I got there, it was so easy to use, even updating the firmware to the two cameras was extremely easy and quick. I know there has been a flurry of updates as a very dedicated team of testers have brought new things to the table and Vantrue are taking it onboard making the alterations as necessary to provide a better product. (You can see the work being put in by visiting the Vantrue N4pro forum, along with numerous product pictures and video clips).

Testing.
Once the weather settles I’ll fit the dashcam and do some comparisons. Okay, I can hear you saying that there is no comparison between a 5 year old Nextbase 522GW, 2 channel, 2k setup and a new Vantrue N4 pro, 3 channel, 4k setup. But that’s all I’ve got, some 4k are not all they seem, some 2k are very good. So we’ll see what happens on the road .

Thanks for the update...

I bit the bullet and got the Vantrue N5, which is a LOT more reliable than my old Nextbase 522GW....

Hi, yes if took it’s time getting here, taking it out for a quick spin today although I haven’t yet set it up because of weather.

Did a quick hook up this morning and did a few miles. Good clear picture but was disappointed that the cameras remained on, for the whole of my journey. Doing a comparison with my Nextbase 522 it gives me options of Blank screen, wallpaper picture or digital gps speedo. Coming on auto after about 20 seconds.
The Speedo my lovely co-driver of 53 years liked to keep an eye on. Would it be too difficult a job to do something likewise as we already have a GPS mount? Something for another day perhaps, or even the option to kill the screen.
I will post comparison footage later.
Using the mounting materials supplied worked well but felt it needed warmth to ensure a good bond ( so ran car hot for 30 mins) so screen and materials where warm before applying. After an hour detached camera from mount no issues. Camera and mount very stable over some bumpy roads.

Now had a chance to play around with the PC Players. Being able to display your clips is just as important as taking them, not just an after thought.
Venture player, comes a far distant second to the workings and functions of the My Nextbase player.
Vantrue Player, is a basic player, stop/start, loop, check my speed and location on map. No refinements.
The My Nextbase is all the above Plus a full editing suit, where you can chop, link, mark, enhance your dashcam clips. In play, you can move the screen around to left/right, up and down, bringing an object / vehicle into the centre of you screen and zoom in too.
Of course this is my only comparison so out of 10,
Vantrue gets 5,
My Nextbase a 9+

Did a quick hook up this morning and did a few miles. Good clear picture but was disappointed that the cameras remained on, for the whole of my journey. Doing a comparison with my Nextbase 522 it gives me options of Blank screen, wallpaper picture or digital gps speedo. Coming on auto after about 20 seconds.
The Speedo my lovely co-driver of 53 years liked to keep an eye on. Would it be too difficult a job to do something likewise as we already have a GPS mount? Something for another day perhaps, or even the option to kill the screen.
I will post comparison footage later.
Using the mounting materials supplied worked well but felt it needed warmth to ensure a good bond ( so ran car hot for 30 mins) so screen and materials where warm before applying. After an hour detached camera from mount no issues. Camera and mount very stable over some bumpy roads.
The screen timeout already exists for the N4 Pro, is that what you are referring to? As for the display displaying the speed, that's a bit of a distraction IMHO as you don't want to be constantly looking up or across to check your speed.

TO CORRECT MY ERROR
“Doing a comparison with my Nextbase 522 it gives me options of Blank screen, wallpaper picture or digital gps speedo. Coming on auto after about 20 seconds. “

There is the ability on the N4 pro to turn off the screen after start up, on my part a school boy error where I was looking at LED on/off and nothing happened. Of course it didn’t, that turns the LED on the interior camera on and off. But LCD turns the screens of with various delays etc.

Agie . Was tipped off regarding the LCD . And have reacted accordingly, thanks.
As for 522 digital speedo, It is never in my line of sight as the 522 is fully hidden behind my interior mirror. Which I cannot do with the N4 pro because of the interior camera.

Last edited:
Back