The list of shame fake 4K dash cameras Ultra HD

Just took the new "8K" dashcam for a spin. The video quality is pretty abysmal. Looking at the video details, it makes sense why. It's 1440p25 video at just under 7 Mb/s, lol. This is with a 1CH configuration in case it performs better this way than the 2CH setup.

8K Dashcam Video Stats.png
Edit: Looking in VLC (which gives me a more variable bitrate while playing) instead of Quicktime (which shows a fixed bitrate for a clip), I'm seeing a bitrate ~9.2Mb/s like @Agie shared. Either way, the video quality itself is pretty potato'ey. Way worse than I'd expect from other IMX335 dashcams.

Edit 2: So for context I'm doing a quick comparison with the 8K Ace Pro and lol wow. So that's recording at 7680x4320 @ 24fps. The bitrate is ~170 Mb/s reported in Quicktime, or ~165-170Mb/s in VLC. File sizes are closer to 1.3 GB/min instead of 70 MB/min, haha. Frame rates are very similar at 25 vs 24 fps, but the resolutions, bitrates, and resulting file sizes are way different.
Ace Pro 8K video stats.png

Last edited:
Just took the new "8K" dashcam for a spin. The video quality is pretty abysmal. Looking at the video details, it makes sense why. It's 1440p25 video at just under 7 Mb/s, lol. This is with a 1CH configuration in case it performs better this way than the 2CH setup.

View attachment 71876
Cripes that's shocking!

The video quality is pretty abysmal. Looking at the video details, it makes sense why. It's 1440p25 video at just under 7 Mb/s, lol.

This factoid was previously mentioned on Saturday by @Agie but I had known that already from a basic internet search, as it seems to be widely reported if you look for the info. I guess that's why I questioned why you were going to purchase one of these gems in the first place.

Anyways, looks like it's a 2560x1440 resolution dashcam at 25fps LOL. Not holding my breath that that's native either haha ;)

This factoid was previously mentioned on Saturday by @Agie but I had known that already from a basic internet search, as it seems to be widely reported if you look for the info. I guess that's why I questioned why you were going to purchase one of these gems in the first place.
lol, yes I'm aware of his screenshot and was confirming parts of what he shared, though you'll note the bitrate that I'm seeing (~7 Mb/s) is lower from the bitrate from his screenshot (over 9 Mb/s) so things do vary. (Edit: Just discovered some variances with that depending on which software I'm using too and I updated the previous post.) I've also got a bunch of sample footage I'm rummaging through at the moment against 4K dashcams and the 8K Ace Pro, plus I want to compare it to some other 2K dashcams as well, but I'll probably move all that to another thread once I put the pieces together. If everything I wanted to know and discover about it was available in an internet search, then you could argue there is no real reason for me to purchase one of these, but even if that was case, I always like to have first hand testing, experience, and sample footage to share whenever doing any sort of PSA type video. :)

On a related note, I've always appreciated having other people who are also testing stuff at the same time. For example, we can all doublecheck each other's work, we test different things, we drive in different areas, we toy with different settings, and we often wind up discovering things that someone else may not have noticed. It's a collective team effort. Personally I've never been in the camp of "well someone else already tried it so why should I bother?" If anything, the more datapoints we have, the better idea we get of the big picture.

Last edited:

View attachment 71876
Edit: Looking in VLC (which gives me a more variable bitrate while playing) instead of Quicktime (which shows a fixed bitrate for a clip), I'm seeing a bitrate ~9.2Mb/s like @Agie shared. Either way, the video quality itself is pretty potato'ey. Way worse than I'd expect from other IMX335 dashcams.
Thanks for taking the dive for us Ariel! That bitrate makes me cringe so badly haha. Can't wait to see the sample videos too for extra laughs!

Back