Unix time code in GPS .txt file is 8 hours out

Ian M

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with my 70mai Pro Plus + camera. The GPS data and the time are showing correctly on the video images, the time is correct on the camera itself and I have synchronised it with my iPhone. However, in the text file GPSdate000001.txt the Unix time code is showing a time that is five hours early. For example, at 13:54:30 British Summer Time the Unix time code in the file was 1714712070 , which decodes as 05:54:30 BST. The camera is running firmware, 1.5.27.ww which, according to the app, is up to date.

I discovered this while investigating why the route wouldn't display on the excellent Dashcam Viewer program, which I have just downloaded. Has anyone else had this problem? It looks like a time zone problem but there is no option to set the time zone in this camera and in any case the time is coming out correctly on the video files. Maybe I have a faulty unit?

I emailed help@70mai .com but they just referred me to the FAQ, which, of course, was no help at all.

Thanks in anticipation, Ian

Oops, should read 'eight hours early'. There doesn't seem to be an option to edit posts!

What's your problem? The time from the satellite is in UNIX format, your program should have an adjustment for the time zone and then the time will be displayed correctly.

Well, the problem is that it doesn't work. Whatever I do, the map shows the null position off the coast of Africa and there is no speed graph. I have tried adjusting the time bias in Dashcam Viewer to 25200 seconds, i.e. 7 hours offset from UT and 28800 seconds, i.e. 8 hours from local time. I've tried both + and - offset. I agree that it should work with the time bias adjustment. It's not clear whether the problem is with Dashcam Viewer or with the 70mai firmware. In any case, I feel that 70mai should be recording the time in the GPS file in UT or local time, not Pacific time, so I felt it best to address this first, before I go to Dashcam Viewer, who claim compatibility with 70mai. I have now managed to make contact with 70mai and they are looking at it.

Well, the problem is that it doesn't work. Whatever I do, the map shows the null position off the coast of Africa and there is no speed graph. I have tried adjusting the time bias in Dashcam Viewer to 25200 seconds, i.e. 7 hours offset from UT and 28800 seconds, i.e. 8 hours from local time. I've tried both + and - offset. I agree that it should work with the time bias adjustment. It's not clear whether the problem is with Dashcam Viewer or with the 70mai firmware. In any case, I feel that 70mai should be recording the time in the GPS file in UT or local time, not Pacific time, so I felt it best to address this first, before I go to Dashcam Viewer, who claim compatibility with 70mai. I have now managed to make contact with 70mai and they are looking at it.
AFAIK Dashcam Viewer doesnt support 70mai A500S. They support only 70mai's dashcam pro.

Back