Updated firmware to N5_VT-ECK141 then I lost my voice controls.

PykeOPATHIC

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Anyone who updated to this new firmware and still has their voice control? When I got the N5 on December 20th, voice control was working and I was pretty impressed by it. Then I saw from the website that there's a new firmware so I updated the N5. Then after the update, voice control no longer works. No matter which sensitivity I set it to, I turned it off then back on, reflashed the firmware to an older version, reset everything to default but the Voice Assistant icon just wasn't there anymore.

So I contacted support and below is the conversation I had with Gloria of Vantrue support:

Gloria: "Thanks for contacting Vantrue Customer Service. Sincerely sorry for the inconvenience. Our engineers have detected this issue and expect to fix it in the firmware update next month. Thank you."

Me: Can you send me a copy of the previous firmware that can still make voice controls work?

Gloria: "I'm truly sorry that our engineer stated that even if the firmware is updated back to the old one, the voice control function cannot be restored. Our engineers will complete the next version of the firmware update as soon as possible. Thank you. Hope you have a merry Christmas and Happy New year!"

Me: Why? If it's the new firmware update that caused the loss of voice control, why won't the previous version bring it back? Can you explain that to me, please?

Gloria: "Our engineers said it was a bug in the software that overwrote the activation code when re-upgrading. Thank you.

So what are your thoughts on Vantrue support's response? You think what she said is true/possible? I've flashed mobile phones before and if there's anything in the new firmware that disabled anything, I'm able to flash it back to the previous version to enable whatever it is that didn't work in the new firmware. A part of me says she might be telling the truth because there could be a difference between dashcams and phones but another part of me tells me that she's just bullsh#tting me.

Your inputs will be appreciated.

but another part of me tells me that she's just bullsh#tting me.
Why did you decide that you were being deceived?
You checked the old firmware and made sure that voice control did not work.
Wait for new firmware with a solution to your problem.

Last edited:
I didn't decide that I was being a deceived, which is why I'm asking for inputs if what they told me holds water. I'm quite torn between which to believe in because it might be a hardware issue that's causing voice control not to work.

I just tested the voice control feature with my N5 that has been updated to the latest firmware versions.

1703623760588.png

I was able to successfully use the voice control feature. I was able to turn the screen on/off, turn Wi-Fi on/off and switch the camera view presented on the screen.

I checked the "System Setup > Voice Control" setting and it was set to "Standard". I checked the "Record Setup > Audio Noise Reduction" and it was set to on. I believe I've read posts about the noise reduction feature causing problems with the voice control feature, but in my case it was not a problem.

Please remember that the voice control feature will not be functional while the N5 is in parking mode. If the N5 is motionless (no vehicle motion) for 5 minutes or if you turn off the accessory power to a 3-wire Vantrue hardwire kit, the N5 will enter parking mode (if enabled). As I was gathering the screen shot pic for this post, I left the N5 sit on my desk for about 10 minutes. I then tried to have it turn on the screen and found it non-responsive to that command. Once I realized the N5 was in parking mode (low bitrate 1080 15fps), I had it exit parking mode (turned off the accessory power and then turned it back on). When the N5 was back in normal recording mode, the voice control feature worked correctly.

Anyone who updated to this new firmware and still has their voice control? When I got the N5 on December 20th, voice control was working and I was pretty impressed by it. Then I saw from the website that there's a new firmware so I updated the N5. Then after the update, voice control no longer works. No matter which sensitivity I set it to, I turned it off then back on, reflashed the firmware to an older version, reset everything to default but the Voice Assistant icon just wasn't there anymore.

So I contacted support and below is the conversation I had with Gloria of Vantrue support:

Gloria: "Thanks for contacting Vantrue Customer Service. Sincerely sorry for the inconvenience. Our engineers have detected this issue and expect to fix it in the firmware update next month. Thank you."

Me: Can you send me a copy of the previous firmware that can still make voice controls work?

Gloria: "I'm truly sorry that our engineer stated that even if the firmware is updated back to the old one, the voice control function cannot be restored. Our engineers will complete the next version of the firmware update as soon as possible. Thank you. Hope you have a merry Christmas and Happy New year!"

Me: Why? If it's the new firmware update that caused the loss of voice control, why won't the previous version bring it back? Can you explain that to me, please?

Gloria: "Our engineers said it was a bug in the software that overwrote the activation code when re-upgrading. Thank you.

So what are your thoughts on Vantrue support's response? You think what she said is true/possible? I've flashed mobile phones before and if there's anything in the new firmware that disabled anything, I'm able to flash it back to the previous version to enable whatever it is that didn't work in the new firmware. A part of me says she might be telling the truth because there could be a difference between dashcams and phones but another part of me tells me that she's just bullsh#tting me.

Your inputs will be appreciated.

I've updated to the The N5 is in my car and the voice commands are working.

Attachments

• 1703641139065.png
    1703641139065.png
    57.6 KB · Views: 5
So we just need to hear back from OP to see if his problem has gone away.

Hi. No, the problem is still there. No voice control and the dashcam goes into parking mode even if the engine is running. Vantrue support just kept promising me that this will be fixed in the next update. I told them that I can't wait for the update any longer and for the price of the N5, I don't deserve to experience this because this should've been well thought out. They said they'll just send me a new N5 without getting the old one. So far, I can see that it's on its way.

See the two replies above? This is why I think I'm just being deceived.

By the way, I told Vantrue that I find it hard to believe that it's the latest firmware that caused the loss of Voice Control because the I seem to be the only one who has experienced it among the other N5 users. Then they said 1703851663099.png

They also sent me a copy of their internal communication that says I'm not the only one who has this issue.

1703851636543.png

There is a probability, that you cannot simply reinstate a past firmware, to rectify a problem caused by an upgrade.
Look on the bright side, they are sending you a replacement N5 and once the firmware is rectified, you gain the original back to where it should be, a two for the price of one.
It does look to me like support have acted with speed and integrity to ensure a customer is happy. Much better than some companies I’ve dealt with.

There is a probability, that you cannot simply reinstate a past firmware, to rectify a problem caused by an upgrade.
Look on the bright side, they are sending you a replacement N5 and once the firmware is rectified, you gain the original back to where it should be, a two for the price of one.
It does look to me like support have acted with speed and integrity to ensure a customer is happy. Much better than some companies I’ve dealt with.
Yup, to be fair with Vantrue, I was impressed by their customer service. With other manufacturers, you have to go through hell to get an item replaced. But for Vantrue, they sent me another one without needing to get the old one back. And yes, thank you for giving the probability that flashing an old firmware will not rectify the loss of the voice control. Maybe, I just got used to other manufacturers who give you the run around before they can admit that there's a hardware problem with the item they sold.

See the two replies above? This is why I think I'm just being deceived.
When you decided that you were being deceived, these two answers above were not yet there.

In the operation of any equipment, even the most expensive and famous, problems occur.
The main thing is that the manufacturer eliminates them in a timely manner.

When you decided that you were being deceived, these two answers above were not yet there.

In the operation of any equipment, even the most expensive and famous, problems occur.
The main thing is that the manufacturer eliminates them in a timely manner.
When I decided that I was being deceived, there wasn't a topic anywhere that says they have the same problem.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Karagandinez N5 115