Viewing DC footage on my TV

jdk618

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have the Garmin DC 47, and I have been unable to play MP4 through my TV. No problem on my desktop. If I adapt the USB cable to an HDMI, will that work? Or, what should I do to view MP4 file format on my 2011 Samsung Smart TV?
Thanks for your help.

Jim K

on my 2011 Samsung Smart TV?
You could check for a firmware update for your TV, but those early Samsung Smart TVs are not very good at MP4 files unless they are in exactly the right format. The recent ones are much better, they also have Air Play/Drop for playing direct from your phone.

If I adapt the USB cable to an HDMI, will that work?
I don't know the Garmin DC 47, but I doubt that is a possibility.
The HDMI inputs on the Samsung TV will work well though, so a possibility is getting an HDMI adaptor for your phone, and playing the video on your phone, if your phone supports that.

If your TV is plugged into some sort of TV box, check if that can play from USB or from phone via Air Drop / screen mirroring.

My phone is not a factor. I have been viewing the footage with the DC plugged into my desktop's usb port. My usual goal is to capture stills, so my phone doesn't have the wherewithal for that. I have no problem viewing footage from my video cam because it's AVI. So, the problem appears to be the mp4 file extension. I will try the HDMI adapter and see what that yields. I'll get there, and will let you know. Although, I don't see the logic in how that would be a fix. We'll see.
Thanks.

I have the Garmin DC 47, and I have been unable to play MP4 through my TV. No problem on my desktop. If I adapt the USB cable to an HDMI, will that work? Or, what should I do to view MP4 file format on my 2011 Samsung Smart TV?
Thanks for your help.

Jim K
Welcome to the club.
I just so happen to have 4 Samsung TV’s from that era 2010-2012
32” dumb
46” smart
55” smart
67” smart
I’ve never attempted to do what your trying to do because I usually remove the SD card from the dash cam, and insert it into my Chromebook that is connected to my 32” TV with an HDMI cable.
But it sounds interesting because I plan on upgrading to a new 4K model, and I want to insert the SD card into the USB input on the TV so I can view the footage natively in 4K without my Chromebook as the bottleneck.
I just tried to insert the SD Card form an A119 Mini 2 (MP4 & H.264) into my 32” TV USB input, and it recognized all the files, but it says “Not Supported Video Codec” when I press play.
See attached photos.
Nigel got me thinking, so I will see if I can updated the TV’s firmware.
I’ll keep you posted.
-Chuck

Attachments

• Does Not Compute .jpg
    Does Not Compute .jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 2
  • File List A119 Mini 2 .jpg
    File List A119 Mini 2 .jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Model Number .jpg
    Model Number .jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Firmware .jpg
    Firmware .jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 3
My usual goal is to capture stills, so my phone doesn't have the wherewithal for that.
Of course this is not ideal, but you can play the video on your phone, pause, zoom, and take a screenshot.

I located the firmware update for my 2010 32”.
I downloaded the update to a USB Drive, and tried to update the TV.
No dice.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-09 3.54.03 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-09 3.54.03 PM.png
    164.1 KB · Views: 3
I located the firmware update for my 2010 32”.
I downloaded the update to a USB Drive, and tried to update the TV.
No dice.

On some TV's they have Samsung Service Menu.
Have you tried that? It used to be hidden I'm not sure if that is still the case.

Here is a excerpt
To access the hidden menu on a Samsung TV, follow these steps:

1. Turn on your Samsung TV and make sure it is connected to a stable internet connection.
2. On your TV remote, press the “Menu” button to open the main menu.
3. Navigate to “Settings” and select it using the center button on the remote.
4. Scroll down and select “Support” or “Support & Contact” from the menu options.
5. Next, scroll down and select “Self Diagnosis” or “About This TV.”
6. Now, press the following buttons on your remote in quick succession: “Mute,” “1,” “8,” “2,” and “Power.” This combination will bring up the hidden menu on your Samsung TV.
7. On the hidden menu, you can navigate using the up and down arrow keys on your remote. To select an option, press the center button.
8. Within the hidden menu, you will find various advanced settings and options that are not accessible through the regular menu.

From this website
https://www.devicemag.com/samsung-service-menu/

On some TV's they have Samsung Service Menu.
Have you tried that? It used to be hidden I'm not sure if that is still the case.

Here is a excerpt
To access the hidden menu on a Samsung TV, follow these steps:

1. Turn on your Samsung TV and make sure it is connected to a stable internet connection.
2. On your TV remote, press the “Menu” button to open the main menu.
3. Navigate to “Settings” and select it using the center button on the remote.
4. Scroll down and select “Support” or “Support & Contact” from the menu options.
5. Next, scroll down and select “Self Diagnosis” or “About This TV.”
6. Now, press the following buttons on your remote in quick succession: “Mute,” “1,” “8,” “2,” and “Power.” This combination will bring up the hidden menu on your Samsung TV.
7. On the hidden menu, you can navigate using the up and down arrow keys on your remote. To select an option, press the center button.
8. Within the hidden menu, you will find various advanced settings and options that are not accessible through the regular menu.

From this website
https://www.devicemag.com/samsung-service-menu/
That’s sounds complicated, I’m not tech savvy.

Welcome to the club.
I just so happen to have 4 Samsung TV’s from that era 2010-2012
32” dumb
46” smart
55” smart
67” smart
I’ve never attempted to do what your trying to do because I usually remove the SD card from the dash cam, and insert it into my Chromebook that is connected to my 32” TV with an HDMI cable.
But it sounds interesting because I plan on upgrading to a new 4K model, and I want to insert the SD card into the USB input on the TV so I can view the footage natively in 4K without my Chromebook as the bottleneck.
I just tried to insert the SD Card form an A119 Mini 2 (MP4 & H.264) into my 32” TV USB input, and it recognized all the files, but it says “Not Supported Video Codec” when I press play.
See attached photos.
Nigel got me thinking, so I will see if I can updated the TV’s firmware.
I’ll keep you posted.
-Chuck
I used to have an old Samsung tv from that era and it played MKV fine but certain MP4s and all that had issues. It just has poor codec support and firmware updates aren't going to do anything.

You'll have to get a newer tv where pretty much most of them support a ton of codecs. I have a 2016 4K Sony Android TV (old by today's standards) and it supports a bunch of codecs, and the ones it doesn't I just use Kodi off the Play Store to play those files.

You'll have to get a newer tv
Or a TV box, and use the old TV as purely a monitor. I think this is the better value solution, unless you want a size/resolution or HDR upgrade at the same time.

Or a TV box, and use the old TV as purely a monitor. I think this is the better value solution, unless you want a size/resolution or HDR upgrade at the same time.
That is another option, but need an Android tv box with USB port at the back etc or take microSD, or even USB OTG adapter. Not sure how roku and other platforms devices work on that side of things, only familiar with Android TV / google tv devices.

HDR is worth it in my eyes but some people don't even have a want for it which I totally understand too

That is another option, but need an Android tv box with USB port at the back etc or take microSD, or even USB OTG adapter. Not sure how roku and other platforms devices work on that side of things, only familiar with Android TV / google tv devices.
For people with an iPhone, an Apple TV box is a convenient option, you can play your dashcam videos on the TV, straight from your phone.
Doesn't contain a TV tuner for broadcast TV, but that is hardly necessary these days.

HDR is worth it in my eyes but some people don't even have a want for it which I totally understand too
Yes, worth having at some point.

get a newer tv
Since you two studs are TV experts I have a burning question.
If I get a new 2024 4K TV and connect it to my Chromebook to use as a monitor with HDMI cable, when I insert an SD card from my A229 Pro 4K into the Chromebook to watch the recorded videos will they display on the TV natively in true 4K?
Or will my lame Chromebook be a bottleneck, and only provide a 1080p signal to the TV because the LCD screen, and graphics card in my Chromebook are only built for 1080p?
I’d like Agie to answer first, and then Nigel disagree, make counterpoints, and offer wild alternatives, (just like normal). Lol

Do you have a specification for your Chromebook?

Since you two studs are TV experts I have a burning question.
If I get a new 2024 4K TV and connect it to my Chromebook to use as a monitor with HDMI cable, when I insert an SD card from my A229 Pro 4K into the Chromebook to watch the recorded videos will they display on the TV natively in true 4K?
Or will my lame Chromebook be a bottleneck, and only provide a 1080p signal to the TV because the LCD screen, and graphics card in my Chromebook are only built for 1080p?
I’d like Agie to answer first, and then Nigel disagree, make counterpoints, and offer wild alternatives, (just like normal). Lol
Haha nailed it with the cycle of what's going to happen! LOL

Give us the model number of the Chromebook, because up until recently I'd put money on the integrated graphics of Chromebooks being pretty weak so video output wouldn't even be at 4k. However I think in the past year or so there have been a couple of higher end Chromebooks, with dedicated graphics card.

Besides, if you bought a new tv you could just buy a cheap USB-A microSD card reader that you could plug into the USB-A port on the tv. AFAIK, I haven't seen any high end or low end or middle end TVs that have USB-C ports they all use USB-A ports at either 2.0 or 3.0 speeds. That way you could play the 4k files off the dashcam directly. Card reader I have here: https://www.amazon.com.au/Sandisk-S...4&psc=1&mcid=154545f8a7a532388d019ff9efb501ba

That's how I used to play my movies on my tv thru that method til I upgraded my USB stick to one of the newer NVMe SSD USB sticks for much faster speeds....

Do you have a specification for your Chromebook?
Give us the model number of the Chromebook
This is my current Chromebook; HP 14a-na-0023cl
It’s getting long in the tooth, and starting to act wonky, so I want to upgrade to the new “Plus” models like this but I’m waiting for it to go on sale for $199;
Acer Chromebook Plus 14; CB514-4HT-359X
How do I test my old HDMI cables to confirm they are 4K60fps compliant?
Should I buy an 8K120fps HDMI cable with the new 2024 4K TV?
Nigel: “Long in the tooth” is a British Naval Term, Captain Cook was the first to export horses from China during the Qing Dynasty.

It’s getting long in the tooth, and starting to act wonky, so I want to upgrade to the new “Plus” models like this but I’m waiting for it to go on sale for $199;
Acer Chromebook Plus 14; CB514-4HT-359X
How do I test my old HDMI cables to confirm they are 4K60fps compliant?
Should I buy an 8K120fps HDMI cable with the new 2024 4K TV?
Nigel: “Long in the tooth” is a British Naval Term, Captain Cook was the first to export horses from China during the Qing Dynasty.
That's a Hella old Chromebook you have so I highly doubt it's gonna be able to output 4k smoothly over DisplayPort. The newer one you linked there could very well pull it off but bleary eyed me at 2am here so will check later.

If it was me I'd just do it over the USB microSD reader like I linked, but if you need the Chromebook for your workflow then a 4k60 cable should suffice. 8k cables are overkill unless you had a 8k tv or were gaming with a PlayStation 5 or something (which I think can't even do 8k yet anyways).

Last edited:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06632436
Claims to have "2 SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 5Gbps signaling rate (USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.2);" ports.

"DisplayPort™ 1.2" is supposed to support 4K. Your graphics processor appears to support 4K 60fps.

I suspect you need a USB-C to HDMI adaptor, and then it will work.

But I'm no expert on this, so if anyone else has input...

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if it plays high bitrate 4K videos a bit slowly!

Claims to have "2 SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 5Gbps signaling rate (USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.2);" ports.

"DisplayPort™ 1.2" is supposed to support 4K. Your graphics processor appears to support 4K 60fps.

But I'm no expert on this, so if anyone else has input...

He'll need a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter because it's a different physical ending go HDMI they're not the same. DisplayPort is something that's found in PC monitors and not TVs (that I know of)

I suspect even though it supports 4k60, with the low end processor and integrated graphics, whether it plays back smoothly or not it may not happen. Bit of a crap shoot being a low end processor from 2017

Last edited:
He'll need a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter
My two previous Chromebooks;
ASUS C200 (2012)
ASUS C423 (2015)
Had standard size HDMI output connections.
When I got the HP 14a-na-0023cl (2017) I had to buy an adapter, (USB Type-C to HDMI.
When I insert the SD Card from any 4K dash cam into the Chromebook it plays perfectly smooth if it’s MP4 Format & H.264 Codec on the built in screen, and any of my Samsung TV’s.
If it’s H.265 Codec I get audio only, and a blank screen.
This is why I’m anti H.265 lol

Attachments

• IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 1
Back