VIOFO Voice command improvement suggestion

@Dashmellow: I love your enthusiasm, but I don't share it. Computers, as they are build today and in the foreseeable future, compute. Nothing intelligent about it. The intelligence comes from the people that build them and program them. AI = marketing. For some it touches on Arthur C Clark's 3rd law, but it isn't magic. It's just optimized processors using very clever algorithm (there is the intelligence part) to iterate through a vast amount of data and coming up with something that people can recognize, when used in 'communicating' with a bot. The algorithms are 'trained' to optimize the 'shifting through a lot of data' process. But they didn't go to school, nor is there analytics involved that the scientific community depicts as intelligence. And ever too often the algorithm get it wrong and come up with solutions that make people want to kill themselfs. (Sad but true story).

It is a lot of marketing misuse of words to obtain a lot of money. As marketing often is.

However, the algorithms can be optimized to recognize patterns and act upon them. That is what happens in the examples you mentioned, recognize cancer cells between healthy cells. Recognize characters on a picture that contains a license plate (LPR). For dashcams THAT would be usefull. And yes, it will be called AI by the advertising company. But that doesn't make it AI in any shape or form.

It is true that there has been a lot of hype surrounding certain aspects of AI. For example, we are seeing many products (including dash cams) that claim to be AI but despite their features are not really true AI at all.

Your characterization of AI as, "It's just optimized processors using very clever algorithm (there is the intelligence part) to iterate through a vast amount of data and coming up with something that people can recognize, when used in 'communicating' with a bot." demonstrates a significant lack of understanding about what "artificial intelligence" actually is. It is far more complex than simply "clever algorithms" processing lots of data. What you are describing is merely the standard old school method of programing computers to carry out instructions that may seem like thinking but really isn't.

AI works on an entirely different conceptual approach for programming computers to process and act upon the data they are presented with. Artificial intelligence is the theory and discipline of programming computer systems to learn from and spot patterns in data sets, memorize and analyze the data that it absorbs and use it to make decisions and perform human like tasks. This process is called "Deep Learning" and it uses machine learning to create neural networks. A neural network is a model inspired by the structure and function of biological neural networks in animal brains and neural networks attempt to model human learning by digesting and analyzing massive amounts of information, also known as training data. They perform a given task with that data repeatedly, improving in accuracy each time. Each time an AI system runs a round of data processing, it tests and measures its own performance and develops additional expertise.This is similar to the way humans study and practice to improve their skills. The goal of AI science is to build a computer system that is capable of modeling human behavior so that it can use human-like thinking processes to solve complex problems. It is only recently with the arrival of processors that have the power and speed and low cost fast memory to store vast amounts of data that this is becoming a reality.

The field of computerized Artificial Intelligence is NOTHING like the traditional "clever algorithms" programming you are speaking of because the entire architecture of these systems is nothing like computing systems according to your frame of reference.

When we have systems that can collect vast amounts of data, analyze it, memorize it, make complex decisions based on the data and perform tasks base on this learning, all without human intervention we are entering into a new era.

When Alan Turing predicted the possibility of machine based artificial intelligence 74 years ago it was not possible until now because the technology and conceptual frameworks did not yet exist. Nevertheless, we are in the very earliest stages of practical AI development; essential the dark ages of what will it is to become. The nature of technology and AI in particular is acceleration, especially because it rapidly builds on itself.

As I mentioned above, true AI in portable electronics is already happening in smartphones in part because they have powerful processors and are connected to high speed networks. But as AI technology continues to advance the available chip-sets will get smaller and more efficient and be deployed in unique ways. As for voice prompts and AI functions in dash cams such as image processing, it will be quite some time until we see this happen, but it is coming eventually in one form or another.

Eventually, despite your skepticism, whether we like it or not, AI will invade every aspect of human life. Just the way the internet completely changed the world and today it is difficult to imagine a world without it, AI will have the same, if not greater impact on all of us.

Last edited:
As for voice prompts and AI functions in dash cams such as image processing, it will be quite some time until we see this happen, but it is coming.
Our dashcams already contain AI processors, that is how the voice recognition works, that is how the voice warning can inform me that there are pedestrians in the road, or bikes in the road - the AI can see the difference.

Our next Novatek processor, in our next Viofo dashcam?:

true AI in portable electronics is already happening in smartphone because they have powerful processors
Most of the AI in smartphones is actually done in the cloud, Siri uploads voice recordings to Apple to be processed, it does not work in the phone, at least until the next iPhone release. Lose your internet connection and Siri stops working.

Your cut and paste description of AI was written by someone who knows little more about AI than Alan Turing did!

Here we are talking about a Viofo dashcam and its possibilities right now.

Our dashcams already contain AI processors, that is how the voice recognition works, that is how the voice warning can inform me that there are pedestrians in the road, or bikes in the road - the AI can see the difference.

Our next Novatek processor, in our next Viofo dashcam?:

Most of the AI in smartphones is actually done in the cloud, Siri uploads voice recordings to Apple to be processed, it does not work in the phone, at least until the next iPhone release. Lose your internet connection and Siri stops working.

Your cut and paste description of AI was written by someone who knows little more about AI than Alan Turing did!

Yes Nigel, I mentioned all of what you are talking about in my previous posts to this thread. As for AI voice command in Viofo cams, the use of the term AI is somewhat marginal because it isn't really a neural network but I guess you could call it AI if you like but it is really more of the "marketing" you referred to in one of your previous posts. I was referring to much higher level functionalities in coming cameras.

As for smartphones, I also mentioned multiple times already that smartphones are connected to networks as cameras AI cameras may take advantage of, especially when 5 G becomes ubiquitous.

It sounds like reading comprehension may not be your forte. ;)

The camera will likely have a library of common and potential commands already built into it not unlike the spell checker or dictionary in your smartphone. And when 5G becomes ubiquitous a lot more information will be instantly available to an AI enabled dash cam.

smartphones:
they have powerful processors and are connected to high speed networks.

Here we are talking about a Viofo dashcam and its possibilities right now.

Maybe for you, but I was responding to the OP's request for new voice commands regarding what my be possible. Please don't try to dictate what other members may post about. People can talk about whatever they feel like Mtz, as long as it is interesting or worthwhile and more or less on topic.

People can request anything they want. But if other people will start to say: ``do not worry, your request will be implemented because of AI bla-bla`` they will be disappointed because their request will be not fulfilled just because other people said that AI is magic and can do anything right now.

As for AI voice command in Viofo cams, the use of the term AI is somewhat marginal because it isn't really a neural network
It is a neural network, as mentioned in the Ceva video I linked, it is an AI running on an AI processor.

I assume it is the same stuff used in their TV SoCs:
This holistic integration of voice pre-processing and neural network algorithms delivers a high recognition rate in noisy environments and in far field use-cases, while operating locally on the edge device.

It is a neural network, as mentioned in the Ceva video I linked, it is an AI running on an AI processor.

I had a feeling MediaTek ran the show when it came to TVs and didn't even realise Novatek helped out with SoCs at all haha

I had a feeling MediaTek ran the show when it came to TVs and didn't even realise Novatek helped out with SoCs at all haha
I think TV SoCs are Novatek's biggest business.

People can request anything they want. But if other people will start to say: ``do not worry, your request will be implemented because of AI bla-bla`` they will be disappointed because their request will be not fulfilled just because other people said that AI is magic and can do anything right now.

Considering all the "Wish List" stuff we see posted to this forum I wonder why talking about coming technological developments is so upsetting to you?

OK, fair enough. But earlier in this thread you dismissed AI as being mainly marketing and now here you are essentially touting it. :smuggrin:

AI is now performing a few useful functions, but it is not arriving very fast, it is mainly marketing!

OK, fair enough. But earlier in this thread you dismissed AI as being mainly marketing and now here you are essentially touting it. :smuggrin:
Are you admitting that Viofo managed to sell you an AI, containing a real neural network, without you realising?

Now that is good marketing.

:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Mtz
Considering all the "Wish List" stuff we see posted to this forum I wonder why talking about coming technological developments is so upsetting to you?
I am not upset at all just because I know it is not an easy job to add many voice commands.
OP or other people should be upset because from a simple question about voice commands implementation you went so offtopic with all the imaginary AI expectations.

A neural network is a model inspired by the structure and function of biological neural networks in animal brains and neural networks attempt to model human learning by digesting and analyzing massive amounts of information, also known as training data.
I'll try to keep it short, as we are wondering way off-topic.
Just by using words (the marketing part, or BS-bingo as it was called in the old days) like 'human learning', 'memorize', 'analyze' and 'neural networks', which give biological properties to a computer, it doesn't get any more intelligent. Yes, 'clever algorithms' doesn't do the technique justice, it a grant oversimplification.

Scientist still don't have a clue how the human body works, let alone the brain. Yeah, they are good at stitching things together again (yes, I know, again an oversimplification) but 80% of the time doctors are guessing and poisoning the human body with 'medicine' (read the packaged leaflet for side affects).
If they really knew how the human body worked, they wouldn't use the medicine we have today.

What a human BRAIN can do, the most complex and intricate part of the human body? No idea how it works! They roughly know which part does what by poking around. But how humans make intelligent decisions (or often the lack of), they really don't know how that works, let alone how to translate that to a computer program.
Maybe 50-100 years from now...

So please, don't use the abbreviation 'AI' for a resource hog of a set of algorithms. It is artificial, but it is not intelligence. And it won't be in the foreseeable future.

Are you admitting that Viofo managed to sell you an AI, containing a real neural network, without you realising?

Now that is good marketing.

:ROFLMAO:

I didn't buy it or voice commands. It's a feature that I'm not really all that interested in so any marketing had nothing to do with my purchase. :rolleyes:

I am not upset at all just because I know it is not an easy job to add many voice commands.
OP or other people should be upset because from a simple question about voice commands implementation you went so offtopic with all the imaginary AI expectations.

They are not really as imaginary as you seem to believe. And it may surprise you to learn that some people are actually interested in tangential, interesting and informative discussions rather that being quite so narrow, rigid and controlling about what related topics others might wish to talk about on a public forum.

I'll try to keep it short, as we are wondering way off-topic.
Just by using words (the marketing part, or BS-bingo as it was called in the old days) like 'human learning', 'memorize', 'analyze' and 'neural networks', which give biological properties to a computer, it doesn't get any more intelligent. Yes, 'clever algorithms' doesn't do the technique justice, it a grant oversimplification.

Scientist still don't have a clue how the human body works, let alone the brain. Yeah, they are good at stitching things together again (yes, I know, again an oversimplification) but 80% of the time doctors are guessing and poisoning the human body with 'medicine' (read the packaged leaflet for side affects).
If they really knew how the human body worked, they wouldn't use the medicine we have today.

What a human BRAIN can do, the most complex and intricate part of the human body? No idea how it works! They roughly know which part does what by poking around. But how humans make intelligent decisions (or often the lack of), they really don't know how that works, let alone how to translate that to a computer program.
Maybe 50-100 years from now...

So please, don't use the abbreviation 'AI' for a resource hog of a set of algorithms. It is artificial, but it is not intelligence. And it won't be in the foreseeable future.

I am sorry but you sound entirely clueless about advanced computer sciences and machine learning. That's what happens if you keep "over-simplifying" things as you seem to like to do. Nobody, has claimed that computers are (as ye)t capable of human intelligence, but neural networks are modeled on known aspects of how the brain functions and this is quite different from how traditional computers work.

You can dismiss AI as "BS-bingo" but it is already being used in the real world to exceed what humans can accomplish on their own such as diagnosing cancer that human experts miss. It is not merely "algorithms" but the ability of AI to learn from experience and analyze and that is based on how the human brain works.

While the Vantrue N5 can do it, if there is a limited set of voice commands to be used, using one to turn the LCD on / off seem stupid to me.

No one should drive with the LCD on.

I am sorry but you sound entirely clueless about advanced computer sciences and machine learning. That's what happens if you keep "over-simplifying" things as you seem to like to do.
I'm over-simplifying as you almost seem be religious about it.
I admit, I'm down to earth. And happy about it.
Nobody, has claimed that computers are (as ye)t capable of human intelligence
Hence the word 'Intelligence' in AI?
it is already being used in the real world to exceed what humans can accomplish on their own such as diagnosing cancer that human experts miss
I'm not denying that. I've worked in a hospital for 33 years, they didn't use it there. Maybe because of cost, or maybe because it isn't the Holy Grail yet.

I've seen too many 'paradigm shifts' (bingo) in my time to swallow this AI thingy hook, line and sinker as you seem to do.
Lets agree that I call that healthy skepticism, and you call it 'entirely clueless'. The future will tell. And the truth will probably be somewhere in the middle, as it often is. ;)

Hence the word 'Intelligence' in AI?

I'm not quite sure what you mean here but yes, intelligence is indeed the operative word, as I will explain, but here you've conveniently left off the adjective artificial which is key to this whole discussion.

Previously. when you used frivolous terms like "BS-Bingo", "AI thingy", or make statements like: "It's just optimized processors using very clever algorithm..... "don't use the abbreviation 'AI' for a resource hog of a set of algorithms...... or "It is artificial, but it is not intelligence." you are merely demonstrating a profound lack of understanding of what Artificial Intelligence actually means or how any of this works. I apologize for using the word clueless before as it wasn't the best choice of words, Perhaps "uninformed" might be a better word?

All of your comments are based on comparisons to common everyday computers, laptops and other familiar devices as we now know them but that's not correct. Such devices are merely passive computers that can ONLY do the specific tasks they are programmed to do. They have no agency.

Artificial Intelligence on the other hand is an entirely different theoretical and practical paradigm using very different management architecture for how computers of sufficient speed and power can process information in such a way as to mimic and simulate human intelligence and likely eventual greater than human intelligence.

By this definition, Artificial Intelligence is:

A programmable electronic machine that performs high-speed mathematical and logical operations that provide it the capacity to acquire, understand, memorize and process information and use it to to perform complex tasks, make independent judgements and determinations, as well as to improve and enhance its knowledge to self-evolve from learned experience.

I'm over-simplifying as you almost seem be religious about it.
I admit, I'm down to earth. And happy about it.

I'm hardly religious about AI but I do pay attention, read a lot including academic papers, learn and adjust my thinking accordingly. It is not a fad, or a bunch of hype (although, yes, for now some companies and marketers are indeed hyping the term AI).

What is clear is that the world is on the cusp of a revolution that will have profound effects on all of society in both positively and in highly negative ways.

We are just at the early days of AI and this will play out over the next 10 to 15 years as the technology advances. This progress has been well mapped out by the leading computer scientists and theoreticians in the field.

Today we have what is called Weak AI, which ranges from the voice commands in Viofo cameras to Autopilot and Full Self Driving in Tesla cars. Weak AI—also known as narrow AI or artificial narrow intelligence (ANI)—is AI trained and focused to perform specific tasks.

Strong AI is made up of artificial general intelligence (AGI) and artificial super intelligence (ASI). AGI, or general AI, is a form of AI where a machine would have an intelligence equal to humans; it would be self-aware with a consciousness that would have the ability to solve problems, learn, and plan for the future. It would essentially be "awake".

Strong AI is projected to appear in about the next 10 to 15 years as the technology accelerates. This is the science fiction version of AI like HAL from 2001: A Space Odyssey that everyone worries about because it could potentially be dangerous, but if properly designed and programmed it could provide enormous benefit to mankind.

You have the right to be as cynical and skeptical as you please but AI will definitely affect each and every one of us in the coming years, whether you are ready for it or not.

Finally, one last thing in reply to your comments about AI being used for improved diagnosis of breast cancer.

I've worked in a hospital for 33 years, they didn't use it there. Maybe because of cost, or maybe because it isn't the Holy Grail yet.

You should pay closer attention or at least have a glance when someone posts a link to an important articles he's pointing you towards.

You got it partly right in that it isn't the Holy Grail yet but you seemed to have missed that the improved results in using AI to diagnose breast cancer were the product of an experimental research study, in which case wouldn't be talking about how they don't use it in your hospital because it is not in widespread use yet. In any event, the research is merely one example that strongly suggests AI is not merely "BS-Bingo".

The research was published in the August 2023 issue of The Lancet Oncology. “Artificial intelligence-supported screen reading versus standard double reading in the Mammography Screening with Artificial Intelligence trial (MASAI): a clinical safety analysis of a randomized, controlled, non-inferiority, single-blinded, screening accuracy study.”

Last edited:
Back