Viofo VS1 (Novatek NT96565, unboxing & first impressions) (Sony IMX675, HDR, GPS, 5Ghz WiFi, 2.5K video quality)

Agie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
70mai S500, A229 Pro, VS1, Nexus 4 Pro, S1 Pro, A119 v3v2v1
Today we are taking a look at the cheapest Sony Starvis 2 solution from @viofo @VIOFO-Support , the VS1. This is an important product for Viofo, as it follows the successful launch of 2023's Starvis 2 midrange dashcams in the A229 Plus and the A119 Mini 2. Being such well-regarded dashcams in the industry, the VS1 has big shoes to fill - this time with no display screen onboard.

A new year means new packaging for Viofo. Previous Viofo dashcams had clean-cut and attractive packaging, but the VS1 marks the first time Viofo has moved to black-box packaging. Featuring the striking red accents, makes for a sleek look and minimal cardboard wastage. The slightly embossed brand and product name logos is retained here, and upon opening the box, we are greeted with the tiny dashcam. Before receiving this unit, I had seen photos and dimensions online showing how much smaller the VS1 was - but I wasn't prepared for it's sheer diminutiveness. The unit itself is styled very elegantly, with ridged side patterns and on the front itself for ventilation. I do like how the image sensor is protected and does not protrude from the body itself. There are only two buttons on the VS1, which serve multiple functions for operation of the dashcam, but the main ones are for event video protection and to turn on/off the microphone. This time around, there is no CPL filter available for this model though.

I know I repeat this ad nauseum, but this has really been the fastest dashcam installation I have had to date in my time reviewing dash cameras. It is a set and forget affair, with an adjustable bracket mount to position the dashcam correctly to your vehicle's windscreen and surroundings. I also received the HK5 hardwire kit, which was also a straightforward installation process. After a quick look at the device manual to ascertain how to turn on the WiFi, I was able to connect to the Viofo app and change the settings I required.

The VS1 has only just really hit the market, on it's initial firmware. As is the case with Viofo, I fully expect constant refinement of the video quality along with bug fixes and optimisations. Devices such as the A119 Mini 2 and the A229 Plus have had time to gain more mature firmware, so I would anticipate it won't be too much longer before the VS1 catches up. It's still summer here in Australia, so hopefully I also get a chance to test it's propensity towards high heat conditions, but with such a tiny form factor I expect Viofo has confidence in their solution and I also expect the VS1 to hold up well. I'm very much looking forward to testing this device in the coming weeks.

Some close-up photos of the Viofo VS1 dashcam:

IMG_20240302_154943989~2.jpg

IMG_20240302_161350030~2.jpg

IMG_20240302_160537189~2.jpg

IMG_20240302_160829733~2.jpg

IMG_20240302_160809232~2.jpg

IMG_20240302_161217992~2.jpg

IMG_20240302_155650312~2.jpg

Last edited:
A couple of photos showing power consumption when running the VS1 through the included cigarette light adapter. On average, appears to fluctuate from ~1.8W to ~2.1W (2.5K resolution / max bitrate / WiFi on). Temps look good too.

IMG_20240303_145126148~2.jpg

IMG_20240303_145250546_HDR~2.jpg

Have had a week and a half now with this little guy, and so far pretty good. Have noticed some weird bugs that I've struggled to reproduce though -

1.When using the app and 3 or 4 times out of 10 when going back to the live view screen it goes to a blank black screen. This is only when I've dug into the settings for the VS1, then exited back out

2. After starting the ignition and it saying that recording has started, if you press and hold the wifi button, it makes additional beeps instead of just one. On other occasions, I haven't been able to even turn off/on Wifi, as holding the button for any length of time results in lots of beeps but no action taken by the camera.

Screenshot_20240310-091439.png

Last edited:
Another thing I like about the VS1 is despite the fact it has no screen, it has the same full-fat featured options as it's bigger brothers in the Viofo range. More options than you can shake a stick at.

Screenshot_20240311-144347.png
Screenshot_20240311-144412.png
Screenshot_20240311-144421.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240311-144421.png
    Screenshot_20240311-144421.png
    185.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20240311-144412.png
    Screenshot_20240311-144412.png
    189 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20240311-144347.png
    Screenshot_20240311-144347.png
    185.9 KB · Views: 4
2. After starting the ignition and it saying that recording has started, if you press and hold the wifi button, it makes additional beeps instead of just one. On other occasions, I haven't been able to even turn off/on Wifi, as holding the button for any length of time results in lots of beeps but no action taken by the camera.
I've never had anything like this happen.
After turning on the VS1 and pressing and holding the Wi-Fi button, Wi-Fi turns on and off without issue.

Another thing I like about the VS1 is despite the fact it has no screen, it has the same full-fat featured options as it's bigger brothers in the Viofo range. More options than you can shake a stick at.
Why should it have reduced functions? Just because it doesn't have a screen?
This is a full-fledged model almost like Mini 2, only smaller in size and without a screen.
If the firmware is slightly modified and the bitrate is increased, it will be on par with the Mini 2. ;)

I've never had anything like this happen.
After turning on the VS1 and pressing and holding the Wi-Fi button, Wi-Fi turns on and off without issue.
Just because you haven't, doesn't mean others haven't. That's the name of the game for firmware development. Have sent through the video to Viofo.

Last edited:
Why should it have reduced functions? Just because it doesn't have a screen?
This is a full-fledged model almost like Mini 2, only smaller in size and without a screen.
If the firmware is slightly modified and the bitrate is increased, it will be on par with the Mini 2. ;)
Product line differentiation, happens all the time with electronic devices. Choices for a manufacturer whether to implement certain features or not.

Last edited:
Found a couple more bugs over the last week or so again:

3. Whether in hot or cold weather outside, randomly it stops recording then starts recording again for no reason (beeps twice and says "recording started"). No event detection has happened in these circumstances
4. When using the app to change settings, then tap back to go to the Live View, it displays the message "Start Recording Failed, No Storage". If I go back to the settings then go back out again to the Live View, it resumes recording again

Overall, I'm still very happy with the VS1 and looking forward to what the CPL filter brings to the table.

Thanks @viofo and @VIOFO-Support for another firmware update for this fantastic dashcam :)

Viofo VS1 Firmware Update
  • Release date: 2024-03-26
  • Version: V1.0_240307
  • File size: 53.1M

Changelog:
  • IQ optimised
  • Increase the G-sensor sensitivity on the High option
  • Fix other bugs

After some initial testing, I've found that volume notification adjustment levels haven't been added and the black screen when going back from APP settings, has not been fixed yet.

More testing on IQ to come though :)

Screenshot_20240326-171556~2.png

After some initial testing, I've found that volume notification adjustment levels haven't been added and the black screen when going back from APP settings, has not been fixed yet.
What phone do you use? Does this happen occasionally or regularly? We have tried with an Android phone and an iPhone, but have not encountered this issue. Shall we have a video showing the problem for analysis? You may upload the video here: https://viofo.wetransfer.com/

What phone do you use? Does this happen occasionally or regularly? We have tried with an Android phone and an iPhone, but have not encountered this issue. Shall we have a video showing the problem for analysis? You may upload the video here: https://viofo.wetransfer.com/
I'll do a video record to show the issue, Android device it happens with me

Here's some footage from the Viofo VS1 after the latest V1.0_240307 firmware that was released publicly a few days ago. I have noticed that the aggressive sharpening that was present on the last firmware has been toned down somewhat, whilst not sacrificing licence plate and other details in the videos. Still early days in the VS1's lifecycle - looking forward to seeing the firmware mature as time goes on.

Daytime Footage: 2.5K max bitrate, HDR off (new V1.0_240307 firmware):

Night Footage: 2.5K max bitrate, HDR on (new V1.0_240307 firmware):

What level of reduction of incoming available light, how many 'stops' is expected from using a CPL, if any, and especially at night?

What level of reduction of incoming available light, how many 'stops' is expected from using a CPL, if any, and especially at night?
Unsure of the exact stops but it does make a significant difference in mine and others opinions here

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Slim Jim VS1 6
Panzer Platform VS1 1
Karagandinez VS1 9
Panzer Platform VS1 45
rcg530 VS1 11
Back