VS1 140 degrees angle of view?

Neil27

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone find that the field of view in the VS1 is no where near 140 degrees?

I really like this new camera but I am experiencing that it does not have the widest lens. Same findings as in this YouTuibe review:

Also, can anyone confirm that the A119 mini 2 has a wider angle of view, as in the video (around the 11:20 mark)

Welcome to the club.
I thought you would never ask. lol
When I get my hands on a production / retail VS1 I will put it on my testing jig to measure the Horizontal FOV, and add it to my database;

Of course there are both Pros & Cons of wide & narrow FOV’s.
Based on my experience the narrow FOV’s have more Pros, than Cons because you always have the option to add additional Left & Right cameras to pick up anything missed.
-Chuck

Welcome to the club.
I thought you would never ask. lol
When I get my hands on a production / retail VS1 I will put it on my testing jig to measure the Horizontal FOV, and add it to my database;

Of course there are both Pros & Cons of wide & narrow FOV’s.
Based on my experience the narrow FOV’s have more Pros, than Cons because you always have the option to add additional Left & Right cameras to pick up anything missed.
-Chuck
Thanks, this is a a great resource, it puzzles me as to why the quoted field of view is so different from the actual

Good cameras, regardless.

I'm thinking, that I might purchase a A119 Mini 2 for a front cam for the larger FOV and use my current VS1 as a rear... good move?

Viofo explained to us the listed FOV specification is provided by the Lens manufacturer.
Once the lens gets installed installed in a dash cam the FOV changes.
The same lens on two different image sensors will also have two different FOV's.
This is across all dash cam brands.
Some lens manufactures even quote diagonal & vertical FOV to further complicate the issue.
That's why I started this thread to only measure Horizontal FOV.

I'm thinking, that I might purchase a A119 Mini 2 for a front cam for the larger FOV and use my current VS1 as a rear... good move?
I have not tested a retail / production VS1 yet.
From what I've seen so far by other testers, the A119 Mini 2 has overall better image quality than the VS1.

Back