Which Dash Camera Downloads Videos the quickest?

safedrivesolutions

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 Pro+A139 pro, Vueroid D21 4K, Thinkware U3000,
Which Dash Camera downloads videos the fastest?
We have compared the following dash cameras
Viofo A229 Pro
Viofo A139 Pro
Viofo A129 Pro
Thinkware U3000
Blackvue Dr970x Plus
Vueroid D21 4K
FineVu GX4K
Vantrue N4 Pro

For me it is very strange the A129 Pro speed compared to A229 Pro speed. I don't want to say that the A229 Pro speed is too low but the A129 Pro speed is too high, knowing that the A229 Pro has a newer and better 5GHz chipset which is supposed to have higher speeds.
@VIOFO-Support can explain this?

For me it is very strange the A129 Pro speed compared to A229 Pro speed. I don't want to say that the A229 Pro speed is too low but the A129 Pro speed is too high, knowing that the A229 Pro has a newer and better 5GHz chipset which is supposed to have higher speeds.
I tested it twice. Very curious on why.

Now i will say 2 things
Finevu GX4k and Viofo A129 pro are both non Starvis 2

The title of this thread should be:

Which Dash Camera of the 8 We Tested Downloads Videos the quickest?​

;)

I got you covered MTZ.
I just happen to have an A129 Pro sitting next to me.
I'll confirm & verify.
I don't doubt the validity of Ben's testing, but maybe it has something to do with the type of smartphone.
He used an iPhone 14 Pro Max.
I'll be using an iPhone SE 2020.

A129 Pro with IMX317 it is not even Starvis. But has good performance at night even not being a Starvis CMOS.
Like i said non starvis 2. So not sure if that is why download speeds are better

Like i said non starvis 2. So not sure if that is why download speeds are better
Got similar results

Phone used: Motorola Edge 40 Neo, Android 13.

Viofo A229 Pro: File size: 818MB, time taken: 77 seconds. Transfer rate: 10.6 MB/second

Vantrue Nexus 4 Pro: file size: 726MB, time taken: 77 seconds. Transfer rate: 9.4 MB/second

Last edited:
Got similar results for the A229 Pro using my Motorola Edge 40. File size: 818MB, time taken: 77 seconds. Transfer rate: 10.6 MB/second.

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    267 KB · Views: 13
Yeah I saw, just confirming on the Android side of things with a reasonably up to date version of Android (would have tested Android 14 but it isn't quite out for my phone yet)

Yeah I saw, just confirming on the Android side of things with a reasonably up to date version of Android (would have tested Android 14 but it isn't quite out for my phone yet)
I just figured I should post pic from slide in this thread.

I just figured I should post pic from slide in this thread.
No worries brother all good. Somehow I would have expected more from 5ghz wifi but we're not at that stage yet of getting faster downloads. Maybe when wifi 6 hits dashcams

I tested it twice. Very curious on why.

Now i will say 2 things
Finevu GX4k and Viofo A129 pro are both non Starvis 2
I think for the Finevu and Vuroid, it is more likely to be use of a non-Novatek processor? Maybe they have a faster card reader.

For the A229, you can try downloads with HDR on and off (while downloading), maybe the use of 60 exposures per second to get 30fps HDR slows the processor.

It might be interesting, if anyone wants to play, to time the file downloads from the dashcam webserver, instead of using the app. Obviously the test was for real life use so is the better test. Using the webserver, you can test with the dashcam recording and not recording.

Somehow I would have expected more from 5ghz wifi but we're not at that stage yet of getting faster downloads. Maybe when wifi 6 hits dashcams
I think the dashcams are only narrow wifi channels, there is a lot more potential without going to wifi 6, but of course the wifi 6 logo will be essential in next year's dashcams, and even if you only use those dashcams with a wifi 5 phone, it will still be a lot faster.

No worries brother all good. Somehow I would have expected more from 5ghz wifi but we're not at that stage yet of getting faster downloads. Maybe when wifi 6 hits dashcams
How fast will you expect a dash cam with WiFi 6?

How fast will you expect a dash cam with WiFi 6?
80-100MB/sec should be plenty. I'm not expecting home internet wifi 6E speeds in the hundreds and hundreds of MB/sec

80-100MB/sec should be plenty. I'm not expecting home internet wifi 6E speeds in the hundreds and hundreds of MB/sec
Do you have some wifi speeds that you can share with us for upcoming models @viofo :)

• Haha
Reactions: Mtz
Blink my eyes and it is done :)
That is not going to happen, the memory cards are not fast enough!

A Viofo memory card is specified for 100MBytes per second Read Speed, so that should be the target...
I'm not actually expecting a dashcam to transfer files over wifi that fast though...

Back