A119 first impressions

Okay so I assume 1080p60 at 20Mbps will be better than 1440p at 20Mbps? Is there a 1080p30 @ Mbps? I don't mind large file sizes since my microSD cards are huge and I take it out every day or two. There should be an option that maxes out what the processor can achieve, maybe like 24Mbps or even higher. Last question, should I wait for the A119S model?

Why would 1080p60 be 'better' than 1440p30? It would look smoother but wouldn't you catch more detail at 1440p?

Also I do agree with you that I wouldn't mind a higher bitrate option in the camera if that was possible.

Another question is how many hours of recording are possible with a 64 GB card? The SpyTec ad states that you can get 7 hours but that seems high given the 20 Mb rate I've seen discussed. I'm new to all of this so I may be calculating it wrong.
The bitrate is 20mbps that's megabits a second not megabytes. 20mbps = 2.5MBps or 2.5 Megabytes per second.
Yup, I was calculating it wrong. For any other noobs like myself... :)

CardCalculation.jpg

I was dividing by 20 instead of 2.5 and getting less than an hour of recording time. :rolleyes:

One benefit of the GPS mount is to have the power cord located on top of the unit, making it neater and more stealthy. Is there other ways to achieve this without using the GPS unit?
Maybe turn off GPS in the camera's options? Then you can still use the GPS mount for its convenient power delivery.

Question. Is it fine to use a cleaning wipe (like the ones for lens cleaning) to clean the lens of the dashcam? If not, what is recommended?

Question. Is it fine to use a cleaning wipe (like the ones for lens cleaning) to clean the lens of the dashcam? If not, what is recommended?
Yes that will be fine. I've even used my t-shirt to clean it when I took the camera down and accidentally touched the lens.

It's a glass lens so you should treat it just like you would prescription eyeglasses.

Yes that will be fine. I've even used my t-shirt to clean it when I took the camera down and accidentally touched the lens.

It's a glass lens so you should treat it just like you would prescription eyeglasses.

Be careful not to damage anti reflective coating on the lens (thin layer of magnesium fluoride).

So my overall experiences with the A119 are very positive with two days usage. Day time pictures are excellent at 1440p and very well at night time although darker than the SGZC12SG which is a 1080p which you can see more in the dark. SGZC12SG's exposure at night is much like the new Ddpai m6 plus from my observations from the comparisons done by @viofo but A119 still has better detail.

The only thing negative I have to say is the provided USB charger for the unit was defective, did not charge right out of the box. I purchased through amazon from spy tec for reference.

I also had a quick question if someone can give me suggestions about hardwiring the g sensor and motion detector without draining the car battery when parked, what accessory should I get? I know there are several options out there but which one would work best for this unit in particular?

I've been using a multi-safer BDP for over a year without any problems. I have two cameras plugged into it using a splitter.

your first link. you have to use dip switches to program the voltage cutoff and timeout but the included diagram was easy enough to follow. I have read good things about the vico as well, but I don't think I need the display. I just set the switches on the multi-safer and I have not touched it since.

your first link. you have to use dip switches to program the voltage cutoff and timeout but the included diagram was easy enough to follow. I have read good things about the vico as well, but I don't think I need the display. I just set the switches on the multi-safer and I have not touched it since.

thanks for the information! Pretty good instructions come with it? My first time installing something like this.

thanks for the information! Pretty good instructions come with it? My first time installing something like this.

refer to this thread.

you really don't have to read the text. I think the pictures and diagrams will help you through the process pretty easily. good luck!

Hi All,
A couple things have come up in the first 5 days of using it.
1) The left to right movement of the lens seems to be very loose, not loose enough to move freely but in my opinion loose enough to move after hitting a few bumps or so. I wasn't comfortable with how loose it was so I stiffened up the movement with some self engineering. ;)
2) I'm having trouble finding a viewer that can properly display the GPS info embedded in the mp4 file. Any suggestions?
3) Need a lens filter ASAP
4) I would like to know if the Time lapse feature creates a separate video as well as fully records driving or is it just a one or the other feature?

Thank you all in advance!

Hi All,
A couple things have come up in the first 5 days of using it.
1) The left to right movement of the lens seems to be very loose, not loose enough to move freely but in my opinion loose enough to move after hitting a few bumps or so. I wasn't comfortable with how loose it was so I stiffened up the movement with some self engineering. ;)
2) I'm having trouble finding a viewer that can properly display the GPS info embedded in the mp4 file. Any suggestions?
3) Need a lens filter ASAP
4) I would like to know if the Time lapse feature creates a separate video as well as fully records driving or is it just a one or the other feature?

I understand the only software that displays the embedded GPS info is dashcam Viewer. I personally like Registratorviewer but it does not display GPS info.

It is just a one video, there is some one recorde time lapse video shared on youtube.

The only thing negative I have to say is the provided USB charger for the unit was defective, did not charge right out of the box. I purchased through amazon from spy tec for reference.
We do fullly checking for the USB chargers, maybe it is the USB cable defective? Anyway thanks for your report.

The USB cable works just fine that was provided with the unit. The charger with two USB ports do not power on unfortunately so I had to connect to my phone usb charger in order for the unit to power up. I also tried plugging my phone to the provided USB charger and it also did not work.

I really like the shape of device as well as idea to power it through the holder. I have a few questions regarding the holder:
1. why the same powering method isn't an option for non-gps units?
2. why GPS module is so ugly ;) I would really like a shape more blended with the device itself. Something like holder of CDV300

For both questions above: could it be changed in near future (lets say in incoming 12months)? maybe in new version of recorder?

with regards

Last edited:
Hi SergeiF,

I saw you mount the GSP in the windshield black mesh area, is it OK or will it interfere GPS reception?

Back