VIOFO Improvement Wish List 2023

If there is a voice command in new models,
Yes, it is worth listing improvement wishes here so that they may be implemented for new models.

I suspect the reason why the A119 series stops when WiFi is turned on but the A229 doesn't is that the A119 has to reduce the bitrate when wifi is on, otherwise it doesn't have enough processing power, or maybe gets too hot, whereas the A229 can continue with full bitrate so has no need to start a new video. So maybe it is not possible to make your improvement.

Yes, it is worth listing improvement wishes here so that they may be implemented for new models.

I suspect the reason why the A119 series stops when WiFi is turned on but the A229 doesn't is that the A119 has to reduce the bitrate when wifi is on, otherwise it doesn't have enough processing power, or maybe gets too hot, whereas the A229 can continue with full bitrate so has no need to start a new video. So maybe it is not possible to make your improvement.
if a119 mini 2 needs to reduce bitrate, should start from the next video. In this way, a solution can be found.

We give voice commands when we need to use wifi. recording stops, wifi turns on, video starts later. Adjusting the settings when connected from the application means stopping and restarting the video. It also means extra audible notification announcement. best solution is video should continue at the minute wifi starts, next recording can continue at low bit. In the same situation, when the wifi is turned off, the video continues as soon as it is turned off. When the next cycle goes to the minute, the bit value goes up.

I think it can be solved. It can be considered as a thoughtful detail.

Last edited:
The point I was trying to make is;
1.) Improvements that affect ALL models should be listed in this thread.
2.) Improvements that only affect ONE model should be listed in their respective thread, or be placed in a new thread just for that model.

On behalf of @Nigel I would like to request a new “cinematic” recording mode on all HDR enabled models called "Movie Mode".

Dash cams are serious evidence collecting devices.
Resolving license plates, road signs, and motorists’ faces are nice things to have when needed.
This takes great effort to optimize image quality for this specific application.
However, I’m seeing a growing trend of consumers wishing to film their cross country pleasure cruise to share with friends & family the way my father used to exhibit his Pismo Beach vacation photos with a slide projector.

Nigel made an interesting post demonstrating the amazing image quality of the A139 Pro after some small tweaks in the post production editing room.
The HDR footage appears more colorful, rich, and three dimensional compared to the SDR clip.
Instagram worthy as the kids would say.

Of course this sounds like a lot of work to optimize a second set of image quality settings for a completely different application.
If successful I think it might chip away market share from GoPro, and similar devices.

Screenshot 2023-08-10 4.21.06 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-10 4.21.21 PM.png

However, I’m seeing a growing trend of consumers wishing to film their cross country pleasure cruise to share with friends & family the way my father used to exhibit his Pismo Beach vacation photos with a slide projector.

It is not a "growing trend", it just seems that way to you because you have only been aware of and using dash cams for a couple of years now, despite the fact that you present yourself as an authority.

In my ten years on this forum members have regularly expressed and demonstrated an interest in recording scenic footage, especially when on vacation trips and sometimes as a hobby. As dash cams have improved, along with lower prices for and the ability of cameras to accept larger capacity memory cards it has become a more viable option.

Still, from what I can tell the percentage of users who are interested in this kind of activity has remained small and relatively constant over the years.

For those that like to do this it would be a reasonable option to include, assuming it would be relatively easy to engineer.

interest in recording scenic footage
Indeed i can not recall the forum name, but the guy doing American roads once hung out in here.

But he aint using dashcams, never had, and i can see why, if you are not going to do any cropping, then a camcorder are your best tool for something like that.
And as a big + you can take it out the car and do more recordings at stops along your route.

Indeed i can not recall the forum name, but the guy doing American roads once hung out in here.

But he aint using dashcams, never had, and i can see why, if you are not going to do any cropping, then a camcorder are your best tool for something like that.
And as a big + you can take it out the car and do more recordings at stops along your route.

Yeah, I can't remember the forum name of that guy either but I remember him. In fact, I was thinking about his videos on the forum when I was composing my post.

There were others too. I recall a fellow from the UK who was going to be visiting the U.S and driving through the Southwest in the Grand Canyon region and onto the redwood forests in California who wanted to record the entire trip and was looking for advice about a good camera that would work well in a rental car. There were others who recorded their trips in Europe. These type of members rarely if ever posted footage of their trips though. Often there were questions about hard drives and how to archive footage during trips like that.

On behalf of @Nigel I would like to request a new “cinematic” recording mode on all HDR enabled models called "Movie Mode".
Just the option not to over expose the clouds would be good. For normal dashcam use, over exposing the clouds is fine, maybe even good since it allows more detail in the rest of the image, but an HDR camera should be able to make a "cinematic" video without over exposed clouds and still have the rest looking good:

Last edited:
An app for Windows like Blackvue.

OK, @viofo @VIOFO-Support
I think I got a good one this time.
On behalf of @Dimson75 I would like to request improvements to the readability of the text overlay on all Viofo dash cams both in APP, and recorded footage.

Dimson75 brings up a good point the white characters get washed out in various daytime situations;
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-app-updates.49258/post-599451

Have a look at some recent footage from my A129 Plus before & after I head directly toward the sun.
For comparison I added a clip of my GNET G-ON2 showing their solution to this issue with yellow characters on a black background.
And a screenshot from FineVu’s solution, they put their text overlay at the top of the recorded footage.
I’ll put the videos these screenshots were taken from at the bottom so you can see the transition into the sun.

1 .png
2 .png
3 .png
4 .png
A129 Plus Before .png
A129 Plus After  .png
GNET G-ON2 .png
FineVu .png

I request the engineers consider making two improvements to the text overlays for all Viofo models.
1.) A choice between the current white characters, and another color, (maybe yellow).
2.) A choice between have the text overlay appear at the top, or bottom of the recorded footage.
What do you think?
On a scale of 1-10 is this too difficult, too much work, or impossible? Lol
-Chuck

Attachments

• 2 .jpg
    2 .jpg
    283 KB · Views: 2
  • 1 .jpg
    1 .jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
OK, @viofo @VIOFO-Support
I think I got a good one this time.
On behalf of @Dimson75 I would like to request improvements to the readability of the text overlay on all Viofo dash cams both in APP, and recorded footage.

Dimson75 brings up a good point the white characters get washed out in various daytime situations;
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-app-updates.49258/post-599451

Have a look at some recent footage from my A129 Plus before & after I head directly toward the sun.
For comparison I added a clip of my GNET G-ON2 showing their solution to this issue with yellow characters on a black background.
And a screenshot from FineVu’s solution, they put their text overlay at the top of the recorded footage.
I’ll put the videos these screenshots were taken from at the bottom so you can see the transition into the sun.

View attachment 66861
View attachment 66862
View attachment 66863
View attachment 66864
View attachment 66865
View attachment 66866
View attachment 66867
View attachment 66868

I request the engineers consider making two improvements to the text overlays for all Viofo models.
1.) A choice between the current white characters, and another color, (maybe yellow).
2.) A choice between have the text overlay appear at the top, or bottom of the recorded footage.
What do you think?
On a scale of 1-10 is this too difficult, too much work, or impossible? Lol
-Chuck

It's good to stick with the old look.
Of course, viofo decides this.
Using a font with a middle white line and a black line outside can also be a solution.
Viofo1_1-1_084320.jpg

Using a font with a middle white line and a black line outside can also be a solution.
Right on Ogz,
Let's get this ball of wax rolling. lol
That would look much better than what we have now.
-Chuck

Thanks for your so many significant suggestions. We will take them into consideration and please give us time to keep optimizing. (y)
If you had real-time cloud capability, I would have a Viofo or two. The lack of that option is a deal breaker for me.

If you had real-time cloud capability, I would have a Viofo or two. The lack of that option is a deal breaker for me.
Please god no.
Leave that can of worms to BlackVue & Thinkware. lol
The whole reason I like Viofo cameras so much is because they don't have the cloud.

Then what is? If you don't use it, it doesn't interfere with anything else.

Dear @viofo @VIOFO-Support
Now that we have;
STARVIS 2 IMX678 for 4K cameras
STARVIS 2 IMX675 for 2K cameras

1.)
Does that mean we will get a STARVIS 2 Image Sensor for 1080p cameras?
Or will you continue with STARVIS 1 IMX291 & IMX307 for Interior I/R cameras in the A139 & A229 Series?
2.)
Will there be a 2nd gen model of the T-130?
If so, please make the Interior I/R camera swivel to both driver, and passenger side of the car.
When you are pulled over by law enforcement;
a.) On the highway, the Highway Patrol Officer will usually approach from the passenger side.
b.) On city streets, the Police Officer / Sheriff will usually approach from the driver side.
It would be nice to adjust the Interior I/R camera to record the traffic stop at either side of the car.

Here's an experiment I did trying to make a "360° Cop Cam"

Last edited:
We will release a new interesting STARIVS 2 1080P separated cam, compatiable with A139 series.

We have done lots of research and design for improve the T130, but haven't found a very good design yet.

We will release a new interesting STARIVS 2 1080P separated cam, compatiable with A139 series.
Wow, that's good news.
It this camera for the "Rear" or the Interior with IR emitters?
And will it have HDR?
Or is HDR not compatible with existing processor?

Back