4k @ 30fps or 2K @ 60fps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What frame rates are the preferred option for this camera 4k @ 30fps or 2K @ 60fps?

Last edited:
All 60 FPS do is lock the camera to a slowest exposure of 1:60 second, but in low light that is still very slow for moving things, granted it is a 2 X faster exposure than 1:30 second, but it is extremely marginal if that will give a capture 30 FPS would not get.

Years ago i tested 2 similar 1080p cameras, side by side, one set to 30 FPS the other to 60 FPS, and all other things to the default values, i ran with that for a couple of months and the times the 60 FPS camera caught a plate or other small detail the 30 FPS camera dident was extremely rare, so since then i never bothered with 60 FPS in dashcams

Now if i use my action camera, that is always recording 60 FPS, but that is not used as a accident recorder, and if we talk generating cinematic drive videos, even a action camera are not the ideal instrument, and as you would often speed such a video up as no one going to sit and watch you drive for hours thru the lake district, then 30 or 60 FPS dont really matter in that use scenario.

I would always use the native or should i say MAX resolution of a dashcam.
Now if dashcams like phones would bin pixels up to become less resolution but higher light sensitivity, then i might do a lesser resolution, but dashcams can not do that, it is just a matter of how much of the total sensor area it use.
Many sensors are actually 4:3 aspect ratio and not the normal 16:9 wide format we know from out PC and TV screens, so already there even with the MAX resolution parts of the sensor are not used anyway.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R U1000 0
Back