A119 Firmware

I've noticed that now the default video resolution is 1920 x 1080 @ 60fps.

I can confirm this bug after updating the firmware, before the update my resolution was 2560x1440P 30fps, after the update I found the resolution was modified to 1920x1080 60 fps,

this is not normal, the default resolution should be 2560x1440P 30fps, in order to offer the best visual quality, native resolution of any product ( LCD screen, camera, dashcam ) should be always the default resolution of the sensor,

other bugs :

- custom settings are erased after the update of the firmware : like car number ( it's a pain to set this number, I would prefer that the update doesn't reset car number ), time zone, date time, g-sensor ( it was disabled before the update, after the update it was enabled ), screensaver ( before the update the value was "30 seconds", after the update the screensaver was disabled automatically )

I think viofo team should release a v2.01 firmware, in order to solve the resolution bug, the default should be 2560x1440P 30fps, and ideally this update should avoid the reset of custom settings like car number

Last edited:
Ugh. I must be doing something wrong. I'm following the directions in the download and when I get to step 7, the LED never starts flashing. Any ideas?

I don't even know if the loader is going on correctly.

Thanks.

@weonserfuk: here are the instructions I use for updating the firmware, I assume your sd card is operationnal ( already formated or used in dashcam, no need to format if the sd card is already formatted ) :

1) connect your dashcam to your PC ( via the usb cable )
2) put in the root of the sd card the file LDBA119.bin, "root" means "don't put the file inside a folder", just copy the file on the root, don't try to enter to the folder like "DCIM"
3) unplug the usb cable
4) replug the usb cable, wait few seconds, when you see the message "mass storage" on the dashcam then that means the loader file has been upgraded
5) delete the file "LDBA119.bin" on the sd card
6) copy the file FWBA119.bin on the root of the sd card
7) unplug the usb cable
8) plug the usb cable and wait much more time, the led will blink, when you see the message "mass storage usb" then all is ok, the upgrade process is finished

I think you have forgotted to delete the file "LDBA119.bin" ( step 5 in my message )

Last edited:
@weonserfuk: here are the instructions I use for updating the firmware, I assume your sd card is operationnal ( already formated or used in dashcam, no need to format if the sd card is already formatted ) :

1) connect your dashcam to your PC ( via the usb cable )
2) put in the root of the sd card the file LDBA119.bin, "root" means "don't put the file inside a folder", just copy the file on the root, don't try to enter to the folder like "DCIM"
3) unplug the usb cable
4) replug the usb cable, wait few seconds, when you see the message "mass storage" on the dashcam then that means the loader file has been upgraded
5) delete the file "LDBA119.bin" on the sd card
6) copy the file FWBA119.bin on the root of the sd card
7) unplug the usb cable
8) plug the usb cable and wait much more time, the led will blink, when you see the message "mass storage usb" then all is ok, the upgrade process is finished

I think you have forgotted to delete the file "LDBA119.bin" ( step 5 in my message )

And see that's just the thing - in your step 8, that point of waiting is endless. I have loaded custom firmware before with android phones so I know the basics.

When I see the "mass storage usb" the light never blinks. And when I check the version, it says 1.1 still.

Format a max 32GB card from camera menu and use it for upgrade.
I can confirm this bug after updating the firmware, before the update my resolution was 2560x1440P 30fps, after the update I found the resolution was modified to 1920x1080 60 fps
I don't consider this a bug. We can consider bugs any firmware option that we don't like. Reseting to default after firmware upgrade is not a bug too I consider safer. If a firmware is released once a month or several months I think is not too much from us to setup the camera again in one minute after engineers worked many hours for the release.
Did you tested if the settings will be not reset only if doing the v 2.0 firmware upgrade again and not bootloader upgrade?

enjoy,
Mtz

And see that's just the thing - in your step 8, that point of waiting is endless. I have loaded custom firmware before with android phones so I know the basics.

When I see the "mass storage usb" the light never blinks. And when I check the version, it says 1.1 still.

check if the bin files are correct ( no corrupted files ), redo the download if you have doubts,

md5sum values :

7a3296c5a69434bd13c64551fc5fb90f FWBA119.bin
c4680407d76d07eb19222b1c4724d0fd LDBA119.bin

the led should blink before the message "mass storage usb", when the led blinks the screen will be black,

the fail can be explained if :

- the bootloader file ( LDBA119.bin ) has not been upgraded, and if you have forgot to delete this file after the upgrade
- you didn't copy the file on the root of the sd card
- bin files are corrupted
- sd card is corrupted, try to format the sd card or use a new sd card
- try with a new USB cable, on some models ( spytek ) users have noticed that the usb cable is defective

I don't consider this a bug. We can consider bugs any firmware option that we don't like. Reseting to default after firmware upgrade is not a bug too I consider safer. If a firmware is released once a month or several months I think is not too much from us to setup the camera again in one minute after engineers worked many hours for the release.
Did you tested if the settings will be not reset only if doing the v 2.0 firmware upgrade again and not bootloader upgrade?

enjoy,
Mtz

ok the word "bug" may innapropriate,

but in my point of view if I was a "dashcam manufacturer" I will try to set the default values to the optimal values when I develop a firmware, in this case : the default resolution should be "2560x1440P 30fps", it's the native resolution of the sensor,

when I bought my A119 the default value was "2560x1440P 30fps" with the previous firmware, people who will buy A119 with this new firmware ( 2.0 ) can be disturbed if by default the resolution is not "2560x1440P 30fps"

Where did you download the update? Last I checked, the Viofo website still had the old firmware. The newer one is only on the DCT forum. Maybe your reinstalling the same version you already have?

I can confirm this bug after updating the firmware, before the update my resolution was 2560x1440P 30fps, after the update I found the resolution was modified to 1920x1080 60 fps,

this is not normal, the default resolution should be 2560x1440P 30fps, in order to offer the best visual quality, native resolution of any product ( LCD screen, camera, dashcam ) should be always the default resolution of the sensor,

other bugs :

- custom settings are erased after the update of the firmware : like car number ( it's a pain to set this number, I would prefer that the update doesn't reset car number ), time zone, date time, g-sensor ( it was disabled before the update, after the update it was enabled ), screensaver ( before the update the value was "30 seconds", after the update the screensaver was disabled automatically )

I think viofo team should release a v2.01 firmware, in order to solve the resolution bug, the default should be 2560x1440P 30fps, and ideally this update should avoid the reset of custom settings like car number
Viofo has already fixed it. They stated so this morning. If you redownload from their link, the default will be 1440p.

but in my point of view if I was a "dashcam manufacturer" I will try to set the default values to the optimal values when I develop a firmware, in this case : the default resolution should be "2560x1440P 30fps", it's the native resolution of the sensor,

it may have been the previous default but 1440 x 2560 is not the native resolution of the sensor, 1080p is a sensible default as a lot of end users have playback issues with higher res files, they're only defaults anyway, adjust it as you please

it may have been the previous default but 1440 x 2560 is not the native resolution of the sensor, 1080p is a sensible default as a lot of end users have playback issues with higher res files, they're only defaults anyway, adjust it as you please

I have to agree. There are too many customers that will assume the camera is defective with the large file playback freezing when it is actually overwhelming their underpowered computer at home. It's easy enough to change.

Viofo has already fixed it. They stated so this morning. If you redownload from their link, the default will be 1440p.

the md5sum values are now different :

ef538dde074fab1fa432ec4aa78df267 FWBA119.bin
c4680407d76d07eb19222b1c4724d0fd LDBA119.bin

so this problem of the default resolution is probably fixed with this version ( not tested yet )

it may have been the previous default but 1440 x 2560 is not the native resolution of the sensor

what it is the real resolution of the sensor ?

you mean the resolution "2560x1440" is an interpolated resolution ?

yes, it seems that viofo team have updated the bin files, md5sum valures are different if I compare with the values of the files I have downloaded two days ago,

one interesting thing would be to allow users to test firmware, a beta status, in order to detect all possible problems before release it under the "stable status"

yes, it seems that viofo team have updated the bin files, md5sum valures are different if I compare with the values of the files I have downloaded two days ago,

one interesting thing would be to allow users to test firmware, a beta status, in order to detect all possible problems before release it under the "stable status"
Yes, we have updated the files.
We are still doing more testing and listing feedback, we will update to production line if no big issues.

Back