A129 duo some questions after installing

DashCamKing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed my A129 duo and updated to 1.8. It's not the cleanest install but it's doing the trick. I just have a couple of questions.

I think I would like to move the front camera about 1cm to the right. Is this possible to do without damaging the sticky pad. I have spares but would rather not use them yet. Could I heat the window screen with a hairdryer and peel it off and stick it back?

I used a OBD power supply that has a 5 minute engine off timer or when your battery hits 11.6v. 11.6v is too low so I wouldn't want to leave the camera on this setting permanently, but am wondering how long I can safely leave the camera on during the day. Would I be ok with 4 hours, 8 hours etc? I'm thinking while at work or shopping to leave it on and then turn it of when at home (hoping I don't ever forget). My car is a new Volvo V90CC so the battery should be in good condition.

I also find connecting the camera with android app a bit flaky. I have to enable the VPN manually and then it tends to connect, otherwise it gives an error saying device disconnected. Is there a fix for this?

Reused tape will eventually fail, use the spare. If you run out, spares are available separately or you could buy a roll of 3M 5952.

Only one way to find out...kidding. The cut-off is a little too low and if your memory isn't 100%, I wouldn't risk it.

Are there any obd cables that have a higher cut off? I find it odd being set at 11.6v which makes the option unusable and would really like to use parking mode occasionally.

From what I remember @jokiin mentioning elsewhere, voltage at the battery terminal can actually be higher and than at the OBD port or the internal fusebox. I don't think you have too much to worry about an hour or two but forgetting to switch modes overnight may lead to a drained battery.

Are there any obd cables that have a higher cut off? I find it odd being set at 11.6v which makes the option unusable and would really like to use parking mode occasionally.
you will likely only find these OBD type ones with an 11.6v cutoff, the chipset they use for this is generic solution that is used in all the entry level power supplies with low voltage cutoff, personally would not use or recommend one of these, buy the proper Viofo hardwire kit instead

Unfortunately I can't easily access my fuse box so the viofo kit is out. The in car box is under carpet and requires trim removal etc to get to. I would also need to remove it for servicing, so went with the obd instead.

I'm still finding the phone connection a bit odd. Unless I manually enable the VPN in the app I get a "Error: Device disconnected" message. When I do connect the live view is a bit jerky. Are there any setting I need to tweak to make it smoother and easier to connect?

you will likely only find these OBD type ones with an 11.6v cutoff, the chipset they use for this is generic solution that is used in all the entry level power supplies with low voltage cutoff, personally would not use or recommend one of these, buy the proper Viofo hardwire kit instead
+1

Unfortunately I can't easily access my fuse box so the viofo kit is out. The in car box is under carpet and requires trim removal etc to get to. I would also need to remove it for servicing, so went with the obd instead.

I'm still finding the phone connection a bit odd. Unless I manually enable the VPN in the app I get a "Error: Device disconnected" message. When I do connect the live view is a bit jerky. Are there any setting I need to tweak to make it smoother and easier to connect?
Are you using the newest app that was updated yesterday?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I only installed the camera yesterday but just checking I'm on 2.8.1 of the Viofo app and no updates are available.

I've read in another thread to reset the camera after updating to 1.8, so am going to do this and see what happens.

Last edited:
I only installed the camera yesterday but just checking I'm on 2.8.1 of the Viofo app and no updates are available.

I've read in another thread to reset the camera after updating to 1.8 so am going to do this and see what happens.
I know they released version 2.8.2 for android yesterday. Don't know version info for Apple

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sorry says 2.8.1 in the play store, but checking my app on phone and it shows up as 2.8.2.

Sorry says 2.8.1 in the play store, but checking my app on phone and it shows up as 2.8.2.
When I look on the App Store the version history is 1.8.0 1 mo ago !

this is what I have to do just to get the wires in my car to both front and back caneras

and getting to the fuse box and the front isn’t any more easier

I installed my A129 duo and updated to 1.8. It's not the cleanest install but it's doing the trick. I just have a couple of questions.

I think I would like to move the front camera about 1cm to the right. Is this possible to do without damaging the sticky pad. I have spares but would rather not use them yet. Could I heat the window screen with a hairdryer and peel it off and stick it back?

I used a OBD power supply that has a 5 minute engine off timer or when your battery hits 11.6v. 11.6v is too low so I wouldn't want to leave the camera on this setting permanently, but am wondering how long I can safely leave the camera on during the day. Would I be ok with 4 hours, 8 hours etc? I'm thinking while at work or shopping to leave it on and then turn it of when at home (hoping I don't ever forget). My car is a new Volvo V90CC so the battery should be in good condition.

I also find connecting the camera with android app a bit flaky. I have to enable the VPN manually and then it tends to connect, otherwise it gives an error saying device disconnected. Is there a fix for this?

1. Firmware 1.8 only seems useful if you prefer motion detection over low bitrate recording....Honestly, I recommend low bitrate recording because it'll capture live action, albeit in less quality. Motion Detection with buffered parking means it'll capture like 30 seconds if I recall?

2. I think you're confused about voltage.... 11.8 is a dead battery... 12 = 25% 12.2 = 50% 12.4 = 75% and 12.6= 100%....Most people prefer 12.2 because 12.4 requires a brand new battery or the camera will shut off way to fast.

3. App is super flaky. I always have it error out on the first attempt to enter the video folder. Takes a second attempt before it works. I own two Viofo A129s and the issue is the same on both.

this is what I have to do just to get the wires in my car to both front and back caneras

and getting to the fuse box and the front isn’t any more easier

Why wouldn't you just run the wires along the Door Weather Stripping? Path of least resistance....

As advised in another thread I reset the camera today. By reset do they mean the "reset camera" option in the setting, or is there some kind of hidden factory reset I need to do?

Connecting to the camera with the app still flaky but I can get it to work. I have to connect to the camera wifi and wait until the wifi connecting circle on my phone completely stops. I can start and stop a few times before stabilizing. If I have already tried the app I have to force close it before trying again and then enable vpn, or it won't connect.

When reviewing footage on my phone it's very jerky. My phone says I have a 65Mbs connection, so it should be silky smooth. Is this the same for others or just me. It's pretty much unusable to view the footage on my phone for me. I certainly wouldn't want to try reviewing footage under pressure.

Also the camera clock keeps going out by 1 hour. I have it set to GMT +0. I'll see how it fairs after the update and reset, but I'm sure I've had to reset it a few times now.

I think you're confused about voltage.... 11.8 is a dead battery... 12 = 25% 12.2 = 50% 12.4 = 75% and 12.6= 100%....Most people prefer 12.2 because 12.4 requires a brand new battery or the camera will shut off way to fast.

That's why I won't use 11.6v option. I figured if not flat it could at least cause buildup of lead sulfate crystals and damage the battery. It's a shame as it's working well otherwise. I may occasionally use it but will have to remember to switch it back again. How long do most peoples cameras run for when set to 12.4v on the hardwire kit? I'm sure I would be ok for a few hours every now and then.

Last edited:
As advised in another thread I reset the camera today. By reset do they mean the "reset camera" option in the setting, or is there some kind of hidden factory reset I need to do?

Connecting to the camera with the app still flaky but I can get it to work. I have to connect to the camera wifi and wait until the wifi connecting circle on my phone completely stops. I can start and stop a few times before stabilizing. If I have already tried the app I have to force close it before trying again and then enable vpn, or it won't connect.

When reviewing footage on my phone it's very jerky. My phone says I have a 65Mbs connection, so it should be silky smooth. Is this the same for others or just me. It's pretty much unusable to view the footage on my phone for me. I certainly wouldn't want to try reviewing footage under pressure.

Also the camera clock keeps going out by 1 hour. I have it set to GMT +0. I'll see how it fairs after the update and reset, but I'm sure I've had to reset it a few times now.

That's why I won't use 11.6v option. I figured if not flat it could at least cause buildup of lead sulfate crystals and damage the battery. It's a shame as it's working well otherwise. I may occasionally use it but will have to remember to switch it back again. How long do most peoples cameras run for when set to 12.4v on the hardwire kit? I'm sure I would be ok for a few hours every now and then.

1. Set it to 5GHZ instead of 2.4 ghz in the options. It'll be less jerky on playback.

2. Clock is wrong. It doesn't factory in day light savings so you need to set it forward 1 hour manually

3. I can run it for a day or more on 12.2......12.4 will cause it to shut off quick. As I said unless your battery is brand new, 12.4 = 75% and a battery with age won't allow for that option to run very long.

Thanks. My car is new so I just want to be able to leave it on sometimes. Is the 5Ghz setting in the camera or on the phone?

Back