A129 won't upgrade

Cram

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
A129 Duo
I just bought a A129 duo dashcam (Amazon) and it came with firmware 1.5 (In menu, "Firmware Version" returns A129:V1.5 Build:20181115). I then proceed to upgrade to firmware 1.8, following the VIOFO instructions below:

1. I inserted the microSD card in my Windows 10 computer.
2. I formatted it using exFAT (not FAT32) because Win10 only has exFAT (default) and NTFS as options.
3. I copied the V1.8 FWA129.bin file to the root directory of the card. Note: This same V1.8 FWA129.bin file has worked properly to upgrade another A124 dashcam from V1.5.
4. I removed the microSD card from the computer and inserted it in the A129.
5. Using a power bank, I powered the A129. The front red LED did NOT blink and when the cameras came up and the "Firmware Version" from the menu returns A129:V1.5 Build:20181115, indicating that no upgrade took place.

Further, the camera will not take the BCHobbyist MOD firmware either.

Any suggestions other than returning the camera for an exchange?

Thanks

-C

exFAT is no good for firmware updates, either use a card size less than 64GB, or format it in the camera before putting the firmware on it.

Format the card in the camera slot before putting the firmware on it.Make sure the name of the firmware image is FWA129.bin

Thanks Nigel and gabilondo77 as you were both right on. I formatted the 64GB card in the camera and upgraded to firmware V1.9 without a hitch. My other A129 upgraded fine when I formatted the card in the computer because it has a 32GB card.

Is there a link stating that for cards above 32GB, you have to format in the camera (or use FAT32)?

-C

Is there a link stating that for cards above 32GB, you have to format in the camera (or use FAT32)?
Instruction No. 1 on the firmware download page:
"Use a memory card (recommend 16GB-128GB memory card) formatted by camera or on computer as FAT32"

256gb works great, too. 512gb did not work.

What does SDK mean?
supports up to 256GB

SDK means "Software Developer Kit". It's the code provided by the hardware/chipset manufacturer that programmers can use in their own (firmware) coding, to make use of the hardware features. It's a layer/tools between the programming, which provides functionality.

I meant that I currently have a 256gb sized chip in my camera. I tried a 500gb, not realizing the limit, but the SDK currently supports a max of 256gb. (which is quite large, and I'm very happy with how long this size saves my vids) I was able to use it for something else, and bought a 256 for the dash cam.

Mike

I just bought a A129 duo dashcam (Amazon) and it came with firmware 1.5 (In menu, "Firmware Version" returns A129:V1.5 Build:20181115). I then proceed to upgrade to firmware 1.8, following the VIOFO instructions below:

1. I inserted the microSD card in my Windows 10 computer.
2. I formatted it using exFAT (not FAT32) because Win10 only has exFAT (default) and NTFS as options.
3. I copied the V1.8 FWA129.bin file to the root directory of the card. Note: This same V1.8 FWA129.bin file has worked properly to upgrade another A124 dashcam from V1.5.
4. I removed the microSD card from the computer and inserted it in the A129.
5. Using a power bank, I powered the A129. The front red LED did NOT blink and when the cameras came up and the "Firmware Version" from the menu returns A129:V1.5 Build:20181115, indicating that no upgrade took place.

Further, the camera will not take the BCHobbyist MOD firmware either.

Any suggestions other than returning the camera for an exchange?

Thanks

-C
The topic is outdated, but let me write
There is no fat32 option for sd cards above 32GB in windows operating systems. For fat32 format, you can use a utility like "rufus".

go to post 211

Back