A139 (Pro) Telephoto Remote Camera

I think, when i get under way with a zoom camera again, it will only be for a while i use my old 12 mm lens, as mentioned 8 mm are probably more of a middle ground.
I am not interested in using a variofocal lens

Just looking at those single frames, the performance looks good to me.

The telephoto is darker than the wide angle, but IMO that helps to minimise motion blur and preserve highlight detail. Personally I don't mind the telephoto being a bit darker than the wide angle, since both are working together to record the scene, but other users may have a different opinion?

Are you testing the telephoto lens on a STARVIS 2 camera with HDR, perhaps the 5MP IMX675?

I agree with the comments above by @Dashmellow about offering a short telephoto around 8mm focal length, to ensure the oncoming lane is covered even on curved roads.

View attachment 67573

View attachment 67574
It comes with the latest STARVIS 2 IMX662 sensor.

It comes with the latest STARVIS 2 IMX662 sensor.
That seems to be a good upgrade from the IMX291 to pair with a remote telephoto lens

Just had a brainwave while driving today, and this is just a fantasy idea but how about using those IP cams that have optical zoom?

I know this one linked here has its own barrel power supply but a lot of IP cams run off microUSB so wouldn't be a stretch to just plug it in via USB to your car / USB cigarette lighter power adapter https://m.reolink.com/au/product/e1-zoom/#specifications

Obviously would fry in the summer heat.

Who ever came up with the idea that a anemic little Suzuki swift should have dual exhausts, should be severely reprimanded.
Lol the old one was no speed beast but the new Swift Sport with dual exhausts goes pretty quick to the 100km/h mark. Looks Can be deceiving ..

Well i grew up watching group B rally and the MG metro 6R4, the one and only truly insane doghouse sized car.
Okay the Renault 5 turbo, also a nice little car.

Well i grew up watching group B rally and the MG metro 6R4, the one and only truly insane doghouse sized car.
Okay the Renault 5 turbo, also a nice little car.
I've driven the current generation Swift Sport, yes, 0-100km is about 7 seconds. Not the quickest out there but definitely more than enough for what it's advertising as

They don't make cars like that any more!

Well also all many Danes can afford with the buy 1 car pay for 2 taxation here.
A little more lenient now as small / economical cars have gotten a break, fule guzzlers still cost a fortune.

Well also all many Danes can afford with the buy 1 car pay for 2 taxation here.
A little more lenient now as small / economical cars have gotten a break, fule guzzlers still cost a fortune.
I haven't been back to Denmark or the UK in 20 years, you're not doing a very good job at selling the country to me haha

Some time ago, you asked about what telephoto focal length would be best. As you know, I was the first person on DCT to demonstrate a telephoto dash cam six years ago. Over time, my views about how long a telephoto lens should be used have evolved. I've learned that it depends on how you want to use the camera and what your personal needs are. These days I prefer a wider, less powerful lens because I often travel on smaller two lane roads and I find it useful to capture cars and license plates of vehicles coming towards me in the other lane. If I have too much magnification, I miss that.

Originally, I preferred a stronger magnification like this:

View attachment 67415

View attachment 67419

These days I use a less powerful 8mm lens that allows me to capture the oncoming lane as well. I sometimes even turn the lens slightly to the left to enhance oncoming lane capture.

View attachment 67416

View attachment 67418

Here is the corresponding frame from the Viofo A119 V3 for context.
View attachment 67417

If you are finally going to produce a commercial telephoto dash cam option, perhaps a module for the A139, I would recommend doing two focal length options, one with a longer lens and one slightly wider so the buyer can decide which version works best for his particular driving conditions.

Some people may want both which could lead to additional sales. :)
Adding and additional SKU for an already niche product might be difficult to justify.

Adding and additional SKU for an already niche product might be difficult to justify.

Depends on how popular a telephoto option proves to be. So far there seems to be keen interest, in fact, more than I might have expected after six years of talking about and demonstrating telephoto dash cams on this web site and interest appears to be growing. Time will tell.

Depends on how popular a telephoto option proves to be. So far there seems to be keen interest, in fact, more than I might have expected after six years of talking about and demonstrating telephoto dash cams on this web site and interest appears to be growing. Time will tell.
To add, I'm sure the end consumer will appreciate the flexibility as well - I mean we have phone cameras with telephoto lenses these days and they are pretty much becoming the norm, so why not for dashcams too?

Nope. No one is doing a good job at that, we need skilled people from masons and carpenters and up to quantum physics, but the people that come here are camel and sheep herders that often cant even read / write their native language.
Skilled people, even getting offered tax rebates or free housing the first few years,,,,,, NOPE.

Seeing as most here think this is the best country in the world on just about any parameter, i dont get why more are not as confused as i am.
One thing I think most folks can agree on is that our governments are just plain hopeless. What degree of hopelessness varies, but it's the consensus all the same.

Seeing as most here think this is the best country in the world on just about any parameter
Well, don't pee in our ears.
My beloved niece is now trying to settle in your wonderful country.
She received her higher medical education at one of the most prestigious universities in St. Petersburg.
7 years of operating practice surgical surgeon. Excellent English.
And Dante’s 7 circles of hell will seem like a children’s sandbox with what she is going through now. :spiderman:
All information is first hand.

Back