A229 Pro Test & Review PP

I am waiting for USA tests to see:
1. HDR - night - opposite cars on the last lane: what is the max. speed for the dashcam car to obtain legibility of registration plates. IMX678 and 2K IMX675
2. HDR - night - opposite cars with one empty lane between them: what is the max. speed for the dashcam car to obtain legibility of registration plates. IMX678 and 2K IMX675
3. HDR - night - opposite cars with two empty lanes between them: what is the max. speed for the dashcam car to obtain legibility of registration plates. IMX678 and 2K IMX675
You mean with A229 Pro 2-CH Telephoto right?
I can do that.
Can you give me a diagram for each scenario so I don’t screw it up?

MTZ .png

That scenario is not good for incoming cars because of too big distance between driving directions. I know in USA there are many roads like that, out of the cities, but in real life you don't need to record a car which is driving so far away from you. If it will be an accident with your car the opposite car will come so close that will be not needed a telephoto lens to obtain legibility of plates.

On such scenario is good to show to us the license plates of the cars going into the same direction as yours, no matter on which lane you are or them, the best is to cover at least 4 lanes total. In real life this scenario is more needed for registration plates legibility because like I wrote above, if the opposite car will come to you it will be close enough that a normal lens with HDR to record the registration plates. The second problem in USA is that are many states where the front license plates is not required. (Offtopic: how the police radar is catching drivers with no registration plates on front? @Vortex Radar ?)

I am sure in cities you have streets with 3-4 lanes on each direction I saw a lot of dashcam videos with this configuration.

The results to be for IMX678 and TeleQuad, both. Because we need to see the difference and if it is needed to buy a telephoto camera in USA.

Last edited:
That scenario is not good for incoming cars because of too big distance between driving directions
OK, what about a road like this?

IMG_0226.jpg

Also:
What do you mean by "Last Lane"?
Is last lane, Lane #1?

I am waiting for USA tests to see:
1. HDR - night - opposite cars on the last lane: what is the max. speed for the dashcam car to obtain legibility of registration plates. IMX678 and 2K IMX675
2. HDR - night - opposite cars with one empty lane between them: what is the max. speed for the dashcam car to obtain legibility of registration plates. IMX678 and 2K IMX675
3. HDR - night - opposite cars with two empty lanes between them: what is the max. speed for the dashcam car to obtain legibility of registration plates. IMX678 and 2K IMX675
Will this road work for you?
It's right down the street from my house?

5 Lane Road .png

OK, what about a road like this?

View attachment 72542

Also:
What do you mean by "Last Lane"?
Is last lane, Lane #1?
Ohh no, you have numbered them wrong!

Lane 1 is the primary driving lane, lane 2 is for everyone to use to overtake, lane 3 is for cars to overtaking overtaking trucks.

Maybe better to call them Nearside Lane, for the primary lane, Centre Lane, and Offside Lane

Will this road work for you?
It's right down the street from my house?

View attachment 72543
The question should be, will the telephoto work for you, on whatever roads you have. There is no point in testing only on roads that match Romanian roads!

There should be little need for it to record the opposite carriageway on roads with a central divider, your problems tend to occur at junctions, with people on your own carriageway, and in car parks. You should also find some roads without a central divider.

Ohh no, you have numbered them wrong!
I’m lost.
In the US the far left lane is called the passing lane, (or incorrectly the fast lane).
The far right lane is for slower traffic.
What I think MTZ wants me to do is drive in #1, and try to get the front plates of oncoming traffic in 1,2,3.
Is that right?
I need MTZ to draw me a diagram so I can understand.

IMG_0226.jpg
5 Lane Road .png

@Panzer Platform
The telephoto view is fine.
If you need a reflective plate, if you want to bother and spend a little budget, you can buy the white reflective foil used in the signs and paste black numbers on it and test it.
You will achieve almost the same result.

I hope my telephoto cameras arrive soon and I can share the results on the reflector plates.

@Panzer Platform Don't over-think it!

What I think MTZ wants me to do is drive in #1, and try to get the front plates of oncoming traffic in 1,2,3.
Yes

The interesting questions for me are:
a) Can the telephoto read the number plate, and up to what speed?
b) Does the telephoto out-perform the standard wide angle camera?

Aside from capturing number plates, I find my telephoto cameras (with CPL attached) are useful for observing the behaviour of other drivers. You can see people eating, drinking, applying make-up, using a hand-held phone. That applies to drivers going in the same direction as you, both in front and behind, in addition to oncoming vehicles.

For the best plate captures you probably want to leave the CPL off though. It would be interesting to see side-by-side tests of your two telephoto cameras, one with and one without CPL.

That applies to drivers going in the same direction as you, both in front and behind, in addition to oncoming vehicles.
Which category do you find yours most useful for?

Which category do you find yours most useful for?
Personally I find my telephoto cameras are most useful for general observation. They don't have HDR though.

Back