A229 Pro Test & Review PP

I am waiting for USA tests to see:
1. HDR - night - opposite cars on the last lane: what is the max. speed for the dashcam car to obtain legibility of registration plates. IMX678 and 2K IMX675
2. HDR - night - opposite cars with one empty lane between them: what is the max. speed for the dashcam car to obtain legibility of registration plates. IMX678 and 2K IMX675
3. HDR - night - opposite cars with two empty lanes between them: what is the max. speed for the dashcam car to obtain legibility of registration plates. IMX678 and 2K IMX675
You mean with A229 Pro 2-CH Telephoto right?
I can do that.
Can you give me a diagram for each scenario so I don’t screw it up?

MTZ .png

That scenario is not good for incoming cars because of too big distance between driving directions. I know in USA there are many roads like that, out of the cities, but in real life you don't need to record a car which is driving so far away from you. If it will be an accident with your car the opposite car will come so close that will be not needed a telephoto lens to obtain legibility of plates.

On such scenario is good to show to us the license plates of the cars going into the same direction as yours, no matter on which lane you are or them, the best is to cover at least 4 lanes total. In real life this scenario is more needed for registration plates legibility because like I wrote above, if the opposite car will come to you it will be close enough that a normal lens with HDR to record the registration plates. The second problem in USA is that are many states where the front license plates is not required. (Offtopic: how the police radar is catching drivers with no registration plates on front? @Vortex Radar ?)

I am sure in cities you have streets with 3-4 lanes on each direction I saw a lot of dashcam videos with this configuration.

The results to be for IMX678 and TeleQuad, both. Because we need to see the difference and if it is needed to buy a telephoto camera in USA.

Last edited:
That scenario is not good for incoming cars because of too big distance between driving directions
OK, what about a road like this?

IMG_0226.jpg

Also:
What do you mean by "Last Lane"?
Is last lane, Lane #1?

I am waiting for USA tests to see:
1. HDR - night - opposite cars on the last lane: what is the max. speed for the dashcam car to obtain legibility of registration plates. IMX678 and 2K IMX675
2. HDR - night - opposite cars with one empty lane between them: what is the max. speed for the dashcam car to obtain legibility of registration plates. IMX678 and 2K IMX675
3. HDR - night - opposite cars with two empty lanes between them: what is the max. speed for the dashcam car to obtain legibility of registration plates. IMX678 and 2K IMX675
Will this road work for you?
It's right down the street from my house?

5 Lane Road .png

The second problem in USA is that are many states where the front license plates is not required. (Offtopic: how the police radar is catching drivers with no registration plates on front? @Vortex Radar ?)
For that reason many photo radar systems are designed to target the rear of vehicles.

Reactions: Mtz
OK, what about a road like this?

View attachment 72542

Also:
What do you mean by "Last Lane"?
Is last lane, Lane #1?
Ohh no, you have numbered them wrong!

Lane 1 is the primary driving lane, lane 2 is for everyone to use to overtake, lane 3 is for cars to overtaking overtaking trucks.

Maybe better to call them Nearside Lane, for the primary lane, Centre Lane, and Offside Lane

Will this road work for you?
It's right down the street from my house?

View attachment 72543
The question should be, will the telephoto work for you, on whatever roads you have. There is no point in testing only on roads that match Romanian roads!

There should be little need for it to record the opposite carriageway on roads with a central divider, your problems tend to occur at junctions, with people on your own carriageway, and in car parks. You should also find some roads without a central divider.

Ohh no, you have numbered them wrong!
I’m lost.
In the US the far left lane is called the passing lane, (or incorrectly the fast lane).
The far right lane is for slower traffic.
What I think MTZ wants me to do is drive in #1, and try to get the front plates of oncoming traffic in 1,2,3.
Is that right?
I need MTZ to draw me a diagram so I can understand.

IMG_0226.jpg
5 Lane Road .png

@Panzer Platform
The telephoto view is fine.
If you need a reflective plate, if you want to bother and spend a little budget, you can buy the white reflective foil used in the signs and paste black numbers on it and test it.
You will achieve almost the same result.

I hope my telephoto cameras arrive soon and I can share the results on the reflector plates.

@Panzer Platform Don't over-think it!

What I think MTZ wants me to do is drive in #1, and try to get the front plates of oncoming traffic in 1,2,3.
Yes

The interesting questions for me are:
a) Can the telephoto read the number plate, and up to what speed?
b) Does the telephoto out-perform the standard wide angle camera?

Aside from capturing number plates, I find my telephoto cameras (with CPL attached) are useful for observing the behaviour of other drivers. You can see people eating, drinking, applying make-up, using a hand-held phone. That applies to drivers going in the same direction as you, both in front and behind, in addition to oncoming vehicles.

For the best plate captures you probably want to leave the CPL off though. It would be interesting to see side-by-side tests of your two telephoto cameras, one with and one without CPL.

That applies to drivers going in the same direction as you, both in front and behind, in addition to oncoming vehicles.
Which category do you find yours most useful for?

Which category do you find yours most useful for?
Personally I find my telephoto cameras are most useful for general observation. They don't have HDR though.

I need MTZ to draw me a diagram so I can understand.
No need for diagram, the both pictures are good, you need to capture license plates on any lane you are, 1, 2 or 3 and the opposite cars can be on any lane of theirs, 1, 2, 3. You can name the lanes how you want, in my country is the same as Nigel explained but this is not important. We will see from the pictures on which lane are you and on which is the opposite car.
First tests should be during day on all lanes but the max speed should be not over the legal speed. I consider 30mph to be a good start for day and night.

You should follow also the TonyM advice, because this is the goal, but I added also the distance between cars because not only speed is important:

For that reason many photo radar systems are designed to target the rear of vehicles.
Oh, this is good for drivers, maybe they are lucky to see the radar police before passing them. Of course if they don't already have a radar detector. In Romania when a radar is detected by the drivers of the incoming cars they are flashing with the headlights 2-3 times to the opposite cars so they will know that soon they will meet police, with radar or without. This is an old behavior, still present, but many people are using waze. Our one lane streets which are the most in my country are allowing such behavior with the headlights. Using flashes is also for danger, accident, etc, not only for police. But Police have now a law which can fine the people which are using flashes because they consider that is aggressive driving.
I don't want to go deep into this discussion I just wrote how is in my country, the radars are only from front, never from back. After Waze launch, the radar detector sales just crashed here.

Last edited:
@Panzer Platform Don't over-think it!
I guess I am overthinking it.
I’m feeling a little overwhelmed because I’ve never tested a telephoto before.
Members have been working on developing telephoto dash cams for over 10 years, and I think Viofo have been working on this one for over 3 years.
And now the first production telephoto dash cam from a major manufacturer is in the hands of the least qualified tester, (me). Lol
So I’m trying my hardest to not screw things up by providing testing results that might tarnish the reputation of telephoto dash cams, Viofo, and member’s diligent decade of work.
It would be interesting to see side-by-side tests of your two telephoto cameras, one with and one without CPL.
Doh!
I only asked for (2) telephoto cameras, (one for front windshield, one for rear window).
But I have (3) “master” A229’s.
I should have asked for a 3rd telephoto camera.
Also, because I want to test the viability of mounting the telephoto on the front windshield, but shoot out the rear window.
We often see posts of owners of Mazda Miata, Corvette, Porsche, Audi R8, Lamborghini that are unable, or unwilling to mount a traditional “rear” camera from a 2-CH system on the rear window.
In the past rear facing telephoto cameras have been used in this application like the Nextbase, and Cansonic but the fundamental problem is the issue of vibration from a hanging stalk design.
Not to mention only 1080p resolution, and no HDR.
Have a look at these videos to see what I’m referring to;

I aim to answer these questions.

Last edited:
First tests should be during day on all lanes but the max speed should be not over the legal speed. I consider 30mph to be a good start for day and night.
OK, got it.
I want to do one more “stationary test” first.
1.) What is the maximum distance the telephoto can capture a US license plate?
a.) Daytime
b.) Night Time
I plan to park my car, and film 10 second clips with the test rig placed at;
10 Meters
20 Meters (Viofo informed me this is the minimum focus distance for the telephoto)
50 Meters
75 Meters
100 Meters
Also from the 4K front camera for comparison.
I’ll be able to measure the distance accurately with my new Laser Rangefinder.
You should follow also the TonyM advice, because this is the goal, but I added also the distance between cars because not only speed is important:
OK, got it.

Last edited:
1.) What is the maximum distance the telephoto can capture a US license plate?
a.) Daytime
b.) Night Time
I plan to park my car, and film 10 second clips with the test rig placed at;
10 Meters
20 Meters (Viofo informed me this is the minimum focus distance for the telephoto)
50 Meters
75 Meters
100 Meters
You will have difficulty reading your local plates at 50m, very easy at 20m, at 75 and 100 you will be guessing.
I suggest you use 30, 40, 45, 50, 55 instead of 10,20,50,75,100.

With some light, night and day will be the same distance. Not sure it is worth doing the full test again at night, maybe just test the maximum distance at night, having found it during daylight.

It should focus adequately to read a plate, a lot closer than that. It would be interesting to know how close, Mtz suggested 9m.
Should also test if it does focus to infinity.
Only need to test focus in daylight, preferably sunny.

Until you will do the first test on the road in traffic conditions I expect Viofo to put the lens on sale. :borg:

Daytime 7 Channel POV's

1.) Front: A229 Pro Front / Main
2.) Rear: A229 Pro Front / Main
3.) Driver Side Exterior: A229 Pro Rear
4.) Passenger Side Exterior: A229 Plus Rear
5.) Driver Side IR Interior: A229 Pro IR Interior
6.) Passenger Side IR Interior: A229 Plus IR Interior
7.) Backseat IR Interior: A229 Pro IR Interior

Doesn't each A229 Pro only connect to one rear camera and one IR interior camera. How did you record 3 IR interior cameras?

Doesn't each A229 Pro only connect to one rear camera and one IR interior camera. How did you record 3 IR interior cameras?
A229 Pro (2) Units
A229 Plus (1) Unit
One A229 Pro & One A229 Plus are mounted on the front windshield.
The second A229 Pro is mounted on the rear window.

1 .jpg

Back