? About video lock

Chrisdahlen

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you choose to lock/save video of an incident. Does the dashcam keep recording & just skip the part you saved?

If you do a manual lock by pressing the button or one of the automatic triggers do it, like the G-sensor, the filer normally go in a folder called RO ( Read Only ) other cameras might add a suffix to the file name that also prevent deletion as part of the normal procedure of deleting the oldest stuff when the card are full.

Many cameras today save the current file being made when you lock, so if you use 3 minute segment size you get that locked, others actually do 2 files, which i like better.
That way ( still assuming 3 minute files are used ) if you are 2 minutes into the current file when you create a event, then the current file will be locked + the following one, and so you get 2 minutes from before the event and 4 minutes after.
If you are just 1 minute into current file when you create a event the current file will get locked + the previous, and so you have 4 minutes from before and 2 minutes after the actual event.

You would think thats a lot saving 2 X 3 minutes and double that if it is a dual channel system, but it are actually not bad if you use a decent sized memory card, i personally use 256 GB cards now, and use the manual button to lock files.
And even so i only go for footage for a upload every month or so, and even then i still have a lot of even older files i have used before ( needless to say i do not use G-sensor and so do not have any false events created that way to clutter up the memory card )
As for regular driving, well as i do not drive much, only like 15 - 20 minuted daily on average, well i have regular driving footage going back at least a week on a full memory card.

The camera of course continue recording as if nothing happened after a event is created, the only thing it do is putting the files where they can not be automatic deleted.

Most cameras if they have a screen will also have a event icon on the scren while event files are recorded, that go away when the event file are saved / over and normal recording continue,,,,,, thats all seamless, you should not loose a second between regular footage and event footage.

Back