Add DIY CPL (Polarizing Filter) to Reduce Windshield Dashboard Reflections

Where is the camera mounted on your car? I put the mount directly below the mirror mount and part of the image has the hockey puck rain sensor in it, so I was going to shift it a little to the right. I'll be going to Home Depot later to find some Plasti Dip, great idea. How do you reduce the reflection from the top of the center stack?

Last edited:
Update from LaserGnomes:
"I got in the new ABS plastic in black. Have yet to so swap over as ABS kind of ruins heads for future PLA use. Will do it soon"
(PLA is the biodegradable stuff that's not very head tolerant)

So those waiting to buy one of these support bases should be able to do so soon.

Update from LaserGnomes:
"I got in the new ABS plastic in black. Have yet to so swap over as ABS kind of ruins heads for future PLA use. Will do it soon"
(PLA is the biodegradable stuff that's not very head tolerant)

So those waiting to buy one of these support bases should be able to do so soon.

Looking forward to being able to purchase one of these. Is there any news on an ETA?

Excellent, thank you :) I hope he will ship to Australia.

Laser Gnomes
Oct 26
"Yeah it's going good. Sorry about the delays. We were expecting a new kind of extruder we wanted to test with the ABS but are getting delays and delays on that front. So never actually switched over although still have the unused rolls sitting here now."

Still some time away then by the sounds of it. Thanks for following up :)

message from Laser Gnomes:

"So it was looking like another month before we get the new extruder.

We swapped to ABS and printed a unit. Under testing it broke.
We have other jobs coming in that require PLA so we've switched back... but we ARE testing the ABS front. The design will need to be remade somewhat for the ABS.

Just a heads up.. we haven't forgotten. Once we get a useable model we'll most likely print like 10 and you can sell those out or whatever."

Found this smaller magnetic circular polarizer. GGS size is 22mm. Haven't decided if I'm going to install it or use it. Seems to be perfect fit. The magnetic ring only covers up couple holes in the case. About $7 shipped on eBay. Search "GGS magnetic polarizer 22mm".
2cxjouv.jpg

Here's the ring over the lens. Metal ring shown still has the paper cover over the double sided tape. You can see the three magnets and groove on the lens holder.
2920j1w.jpg

Here's with the ring back in place on the filter.
2z7oe4g.jpg

I measure the metal ring. It measures 20mm I.D. x 24mm O.D.

Last edited:
Very nice, it looks perfect. If you decide to install it, post some video and show us how it works out.

Found this smaller magnetic circular polarizer. GGS size is 22mm. Haven't decided if I'm going to install it or use it. Seems to be perfect fit. The magnetic ring only covers up couple holes in the case. About $7 shipped on eBay. Search "GGS magnetic polarizer 22mm".
2cxjouv.jpg

Here's the ring over the lens. Metal ring shown still has the paper cover over the double sided tape. You can see the three magnets and groove on the lens holder.
2920j1w.jpg

2z7oe4g.jpg

I think I'm going to try one. Maybe it will fit on my Vico-WF1. I'll do a comparison video of the GGS vs MagFilter

@borland wow looks like a perfect fit. The sticky metal ring goes right ok without the need of further support. The main question is how well does it work as a CPL? Spin it around, do you see any change?

Here is a comparison video I did of a cheap one vs expensive CPL.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/282rga19r7eudfx/Green-L vs MagFilter CPL Test.mp4

Hey!.......I recognize that water...looks like on the south side of the eastern part of SF Bay. I lived in Benicia for 7 yrs a while ago.

2cxjouv.jpg

2920j1w.jpg

2z7oe4g.jpg

22 mm is to small. I also have a 22 mm filter. You will see a vignetting. 26 mm is the minimum for the filter. About the quality I can not say anything.

Here is my version of the polarizing filter and it works perfect.
What you need:

1. a Magfilter CPL 42 mm (everything under 42mm shows vignetting in the corners). You can bye it via Amazon
  2. a plastic ring that fits perfect for the magfilter (you can bye the plastic ring for 15 EUR plus postage via my person - leave a message here and I will reply)
  3. a little stripe double tape
The plastic ring will be fixed by the double tape.
The result is a working polarizing filter for the mini 0801.

Polfilter_00.jpg

Polfilter_01.jpg

Polfilter_02.jpg

Here is my version of the polarizing filter and it works perfect.
What you need:

1. a Magfilter CPL 42 mm (everything under 42mm shows vignetting in the corners). You can bye it via Amazon
  2. a plastic ring that fits perfect for the magfilter (you can bye the plastic ring for 15 EUR plus postage via my person - leave a message here and I will reply)
  3. a little stripe double tape
The plastic ring will be fixed by the double tape.
The result is a working polarizing filter for the mini 0801.

Polfilter_00.jpg

Polfilter_01.jpg

Polfilter_02.jpg
Hi there that looks very impressive indeed - can you send me on the details I need to purchase 2 of the plastic rings. Would you have a link to the actual Magfilter CPL 42mm? Thanks

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I have been checking my email but your message has not come through to me. I did receive an email from dashcamtalk to say you had replied but as of yet your own email to me has not shown up. Is it easier if I start a conversation with you - I am not sure which is the best method on the site to communicate directly with you?

Back