Ausdom A261 Stops Recording Intermittently. Help Please

The way I see it there are only two possibilities:

1. If the menus look like the DBPower ones, either the firmware is counterfeit and it's the same but with the Ausdom's version, which is kind of a long shot but we know it's perfectly possible.
2. The firmware only recognizes the GPS function if the antenna is connected, which leads us to a disconnected or malfunctioning antenna.

1) That would be a software issue. I assume there's not a single person up to this date who officially had an issue like that where the Satellite info is missing in the menu settings in Ausdom A261. Well, I'm the first one then:cool:.

2) That would be a hardware issue, obviously. But somehow I want to believe if the GPS module was disconnected, the GPS icon would still show up with crossed red line and the Satellite info would be greyed out. Which would lead us back to option 1 with a counterfeit firmware. But that's just me.

It's a shame there's no way whatsoever how to get the firmware file from ausdom and then flash it. Software support is simply zero and I don't mean their ultimate GPS player by that:(.

...It's a shame there's no way whatsoever how to get the firmware file from ausdom and then flash it. Software support is simply zero and I don't mean their ultimate GPS player by that:(.
That is a sorry state for sure. A simple re-flash with known good F/W would go a long way in determining what the actual problem is/might be.

That is a sorry state for sure. A simple re-flash with known good F/W would go a long way in determining what the actual problem is/might be.

Precisely. There's no excuse for zero software support, but that's something a buyer, myself including, should have known. I'm afraid the only real solution to this GPS issue is either way replacement or refund as I mentioned before. That leads us back to square one and also back to ausdom's so-called support.

Is it possible the wrong circuit board was installed in the 'A261' case? Correct firmware flashed on the wrong 'insides', but no GPS module/circuitry?

Assuming same cam case means one factory is possibly assembling both cams?

Is it possible the wrong circuit board was installed in the 'A261' case? Correct firmware flashed on the wrong 'insides', but no GPS module/circuitry?

Assuming same cam case means one factory is possibly assembling both cams?

I was kinda tempted to open the case, but since I'm planning to return the unit, it would be a gamble, for sure. We can keep guessing here over and over again whether it's software or hardware issue or even a combination of both, but none of it matters anymore, since I got probably last and official answer from ausdom support that encourages me to ask the reseller - gearbest.com - for a replacement:

Hi Michael,

Really sorry for the inconvenience. We didn't notice that you've sent two different videos on dailymotion.

After double checking your video, we found that one A261 is with Satellite Info in the menu while another is not. So we can make sure that the one with no Satellite Info is defective (built-in GPS defective). You can contact the reseller to arrange you a replacement.

One more thing, the GPS player you are using is not displaying the speed, could you pls make sure whether you are using the latest version? Since it is not normal if there is no speed.

Anyway, we are sending the latest version of the Google GPS player for your reference via wetransfer or sendspace. You will get the download link later.

Sorry again and wish you a nice day.

Best Rgds.

Ausdom Support

It's still astonishing how they persist to check compatibility of their GPS player software to the end, but it's the least of all that worried me, for sure.

Anyways, we will never find out what the culprit was. I shall remain the first and the last person that had enough bad luck to get a faulty unit, it happens to other manufacturers with much better reputation after all. Eventually I still appreciate ausdom's communication despite the statement flaws showing up on their side, but the least I got was a confirmation to ask for a new unit. Now it's time for gearbest to show some moves!

I might come back to report in this thread once I receive the right piece of hardware like the rest of you happy campers. Thanks again for all the helpful comments!

Mike

Last edited:
Anyways, we will never find out what the culprit was.

Judging by this explanation
Ausdom Support said:
So we can make sure that the one with no Satellite Info is defective (built-in GPS defective).
we can guess that if the GPS has some problem or if it's disconnected, its functions won't appear in the menus.

You might be quite right. If they claim that, one would rather think it was a hardware sort of a failure after all, reading between the lines. It's quite bothersome though we cannot be 100% sure ourselves, we can only rely on manufacturer's statement, but based on what proof exactly? I wished once I send the bad unit back to gearbest they'd hand it over to ausdom. What are the chances of that actually happening, I wonder:(. Nonetheless, it's not a big deal for me once I get my hands on the right GPS enabled dashcam:).

We, the people who are accustomed to these type of "problems", can read a little bit more beyond what's written. I'm not by any means an expert on dashcam's chipsets and firmwares, but I can put 2 and 2 together. It's perfectly possible the firmware doesn't show the GPS's options because it doesn't detect the presence of any GPS receiver.

We, the people who are accustomed to these type of "problems", can read a little bit more beyond what's written. I'm not by any means an expert on dashcam's chipsets and firmwares, but I can put 2 and 2 together. It's perfectly possible the firmware doesn't show the GPS's options because it doesn't detect the presence of any GPS receiver.

Well, the unit I got, could have gone through the factory without having one of its crucial parts - the global positioning system receiver - installed. Or got disassembled itself during the transfer. Who knows, anything's possible, hail the quality control! Seriously now, for being it my very first dashcam ever, the fact I drew the short straw can't be undone. But I won't be anal about it, just because ausdom didn't do their job right. If it remains a single case, fair enough, main thing to be achieved here should be that other dashcam community owners don't get burned like I did.

The process with ausdom's service support is finished for now, but gearbest service staff don't seem to be in hurry on the other hand. Even after the second attempt I'm still awaiting their answer. Perhaps they're expecting to hear from ausdom, just to verify if I'm not making up any Christmas tales:cool:. But that's a different story now...

Seriously, the GPS adds very little to a dashcam.
It's nice to have but it doesn't take anything away from providing video proof.
In fact, it may be a good thing as all drive over speed limit regularly anyways.

Seriously, the GPS adds very little to a dashcam.
It's nice to have but it doesn't take anything away from providing video proof.
In fact, it may be a good thing as all drive over speed limit regularly anyways.

Depends on the angle of view. I wouldn't mind to use the dashcam without it. But the product delivered wasn't as described. Built-in GPS, to be precise. A feature that should make it different from competitors in the price range of in around €100. At least I got this A261 piece for €70 when discounted from €120 or so back during Black Friday weekend.
I think that gearbest won't be able to refund me partially, would they? How much is a GPS module worth? These questions are irrelevant tbh. If I can get a replacement, I'd take it asap. Refund comes as the last choice here. Sending it back to China will be a bit of pita, but won't cost me arm and leg in the end.

Occasionally I do some speeding as well, perhaps only those who don't drive at all, don't speed, right:D.

...In fact, it may be a good thing as all drive over speed limit regularly anyways.

...Occasionally I do some speeding as well, perhaps only those who don't drive at all, don't speed, right:D.
If push comes to shove and speed becomes an issue it can easily be determined from the content of the video - GPS or no GPS.

Well, the unit I got, could have gone through the factory without having one of its crucial parts - the global positioning system receiver - installed. Or got disassembled itself during the transfer. Who knows, anything's possible, hail the quality control! Seriously now, for being it my very first dashcam ever, the fact I drew the short straw can't be undone. But I won't be anal about it, just because ausdom didn't do their job right. If it remains a single case, fair enough, main thing to be achieved here should be that other dashcam community owners don't get burned like I did.
It can be as simple as a disoldered wire but we all know how QC works in many of these Chinese factories. From the reviews I've read here on DCT made by some of the members that posted in this thread, I consider the Ausdom to be a good camera.
As for drawing the short straw, you can't beat me: my first camera had a blurry spot on the left edge of the picture, the second one came with a defective mic (I replaced it with the mic from the first one) and even the 3rd one, which I got for free, also came with a defective mic!:D
Your case seems to be the first, which tells me it was a one-off problem with that particular unit.

I think that gearbest won't be able to refund me partially, would they? How much is a GPS module worth? These questions are irrelevant tbh. If I can get a replacement, I'd take it asap. Refund comes as the last choice here. Sending it back to China will be a bit of pita, but won't cost me arm and leg in the end..

common tactic is to offer a partial refund, generally in the order of $5, doing this means you have no further recourse if you paid by PayPal, they may combine it with some store credit for your next problem purchase if you're keen enough to get bitten twice

refunds get offered if you'll send it back to China but without proof of delivery this usually goes round in circles, sending it back is generally a lot more expensive than you'd think and people often end up with no refund, no product and a freight cost that they wear

if buying from China best to only spend what you're prepared to lose, read up on some past experiences others have had and you may decide it's better just to live with a non GPS camera that at least works and write it off to experience

May be interesting to see how much it costs to ship back, then reconsider the partial refund, or store credit, or whatever they offer.
:)
Sorry you got the 'bad' one.

When I get home off of the 'road', will see if I have a screwdriver that will fit those tiny screws, and peek in the case. It would be nice if it was just some sort of cable unplugged.

Thanks for your valuable insights and comments, guys!

Now, I'm giving gearbest another week to respond, I know they can be slow at times, not to mention it's the time of the year (the most beautiful one, right). I've been thinking and depending on what "plan" will they come up with, I might keep the dashcam after all. Or might buy another one (if they discount it heavily!), hopefully the "normal one" this time and give the current one to a friend of mine, he most certainly wouldn't mind (told him about the GPS issue).

When I get home off of the 'road', will see if I have a screwdriver that will fit those tiny screws, and peek in the case. It would be nice if it was just some sort of cable unplugged.

There are a few pics of the disassembled A261 unit on youtube:

Not sure ho much helpful is it though. Not a techie guy myself:oops:.

there's three day holiday in China starting tomorrow so expect a bit of delay before you hear from them

Cheers for the intel. As I wrote, one week it is.

There are a few pics of the disassembled A261 unit on youtube:

Not sure ho much helpful is it though. Not a techie guy myself:oops:.
From what I could see at 0:16, it seems the GPS antenna is fixed to the front cover and connects to some sort of socket that is soldered to the top of the main board. Too bad the video doesn't show how it's connected.

If the GPS antenna is removable, disconnect it and see if the menus still display the GPS's options.

Back