AV cable makes life so easy!!

DashcamDPR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A119 Pro, Mio Mivue 508 for the work van
Good day... I've been away for a long time. Not prison, I've just had "issues". Enough about that...

Many will be aware of the white screen issue affecting this particular dashcam and possibly others. It happened to my A119 pro about 6 months after I got it, but as it still worked to record what I needed it to, I didn't do anything about it as I never adjusted the settings and it's done it's job in the years since, despite the screen eventually giving up completely.

This became an issue recently as I decided to update the firmware and as a result some of the settings get altered, like car reg plate disappeared and resolution not how I wanted it. Not to mention the GPS toggled to "OFF".

Anyway I bought a cheap AV cable off eBay for £2.49, and after reading that "sometimes the colours don't match up on cheap cables" I tried many combinations of the red white yellow and eventually found the right one.

This means I can plug the dashcam into my TV to view what the screen would show and change my settings accordingly.

I appreciate this isn't big news to many people but it's a nice little win for me I felt I should share.

Attachments

• IMG_20231220_105024.jpg
    IMG_20231220_105024.jpg
    720 KB · Views: 8
Good day... I've been away for a long time. Not prison, I've just had "issues". Enough about that...

Many will be aware of the white screen issue affecting this particular dashcam and possibly others. It happened to my A119 pro about 6 months after I got it, but as it still worked to record what I needed it to, I didn't do anything about it as I never adjusted the settings and it's done it's job in the years since, despite the screen eventually giving up completely.

This became an issue recently as I decided to update the firmware and as a result some of the settings get altered, like car reg plate disappeared and resolution not how I wanted it. Not to mention the GPS toggled to "OFF".

Anyway I bought a cheap AV cable off eBay for £2.49, and after reading that "sometimes the colours don't match up on cheap cables" I tried many combinations of the red white yellow and eventually found the right one.

This means I can plug the dashcam into my TV to view what the screen would show and change my settings accordingly.

I appreciate this isn't big news to many people but it's a nice little win for me I felt I should share.
Welcome back.
That is a nice little win and add some extra life to the dash cam.
I used to have a A119 stuck on my lounge window to watch over my car. I used the AV connected to my Tv do i could watch in real time

Just the other day I used the AV out on a A119 V3 when I remounted the camera on the headliner in the rear of my pick-up truck. I have the camera mounted facing out the rear window on an aluminum plate attached to the headliner so that it won't interfere with the operation of the sliding glass rear window panel. This puts the screen of the camera at an awkward angle for viewing and aiming when mounting so I use the AV out port connected to a 7 inch portable monitor which makes aiming the camera precisely and changing the menu options quite a bit easier.

I am disappointed to learn that Viofo has eliminated the AV out port on their most recent camera models.

I am disappointed to learn that Viofo has eliminated the AV out port on their most recent camera models.
We have Wi-Fi on all the recent models, no need for cables to see live video on a seperate screen, and the AV port is more useful as a 3rd channel AV in port.

We have Wi-Fi on all the recent models, no need for cables to see live video on a seperate screen, and the AV port is more useful as a 3rd channel AV in port.

The A119 V3 does not have Wifi, Nigel, hence my use of the AV out port.

Depending upon what one is doing, AV can be a more preferable option in some instances than a small smartphone screen even for a camera that has Wifi. For example, with a larger screen on a cable I was able to place the monitor where I could view it easily and still have both hands free to make adjustments during a challenging and unique install with a custom mount whereas a smartphone would have been more difficult to view at that distance working in the back seat of a pick-up truck. Perhaps a tablet would work but most people will likely use their phones. And yes, some folks do like to use AV out to connect their camera to a head unit.

Tablet works fine, and if that isn't big enough you can use a laptop, or even a full size PC+Monitor.
Might have to use RTSP if your operating system can't support the App.

If your head unit or rear view mirror can display an RTSP stream then you can use them too, without the need for wires.
And RTSP can be streamed over YouTube live streams, so that you can get remote help too.

Tablet works fine, and if that isn't big enough you can use a laptop, or even a full size PC+Monitor.
Might have to use RTSP if your operating system can't support the App.

So, you're suggesting I set up a full size PC+monitor in the back seat of my pick-up truck to aim a dash camera? Seriously? :ROFLMAO:

Even a laptop would be awkward and inappropriate for my usage. A simple monitor or tablet leaning up against the rear window is the most direct and simple option. No "operating systems", "RTSP" or anything else required other than to simply plug a monitor into the camera for such a simple and relatively short procedure. Simple, straightforward and no big deal.

Indeed, the whole point of my post was due to this thread being titled, "AV cable makes life so easy!!"

One wonders why you feel the need to turn this into such a complicated affair.

I don't even remember if my a119 pro has WiFi!!

I don't even remember if my a119 pro has WiFi!!
I think the first A119 to have wifi was the Mini, followed by the current Mini 2.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sdgenxr A119 PRO 0