Best Buys of 2016 Sticky

c4rc4m

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo WR1, A119 Pro. VicoVation Opia 2, Mobius 1
Hi,

I'm slightly confused by the Best Buys of 2016 sticky as several prominent cameras are missing.

Now the obvious conclusion is they're not included because they're not the best. However, when you look at the dash cam comparison list (which surely should have every current 2016 dashcam listed), numerous cameras are missing there also. eg Yi 4k, Git2, Yoovuu X, Firefly S6, Mobius M2 etc etc.

Is this because they're considered action cams rather than Dash Cams?

It's seems a little strange to exclude these and the many others as many people choose action cams as dash cams to get the very best quality.

Left puzzled as the Best Buy thread leaves the whole subject of Best Buy up in the air because of so many missing cameras in the comparison list.

Where's that thread? I can't seem to find it.

It's not a forum thread. https://dashcamtalk.com/best-dash-cams-of-2016/ It's an update on the usual recommended cams section. It should be remembered that a lot of things change in a year and that these recommendations can't keep up with every sale price but are generally accurate. They do list non-screen cams such as Mobius.

Some opinion must enter with this, as what is acceptable to one may not please another. I'm fine with the somewhat dark and grainy night-vids from Mobius and G1Wc but many people want better which is available. My last G1Wc purchase @ $36.25 on sale was an astounding bargain and essentially the same cam is sold elsewhere in the ~$70 range from better sellers at their regular prices. A top-level cam would be a better bargain at ~$180, but you can't really compare the two. All this has to be taken into account when making recommendations.

Phil

Last edited:
It's an update on the usual recommended cams section. It should be remembered that a lot of things change in a year and that these recommendations can't keep up with every sale price but are generally accurate.

It says last updated 21 July 2016, so presumably it should include pretty much every camera on this forum, assuming they merit inclusion. That's why it's puzzling that the Mobius Mk 1 gets the top screen less recommendation against eg. Mobius M2, Firefly S6, Runcam 2 and other later 4K, higher resolution / bit rate models which seem to trounce the Mobius Mk1 for quality if certain comparison videos are to be believed.

You can say the same thing about several other categories where cams such as the Yi might feature.

Understand I'm not trying to be non-constructive or a troll here. It's just a genuine observation because whilst considering my own options for another cam, which atm are far from clear given the huge choice, I decided to look at the Best Dash Cam 2016 recommendations, only to find to my surprise that for an up-to-date thread, a fair number of expected names were missing. Obviously that could be down to quality (although I doubt it) but given they were also missing from Dashcam Comparison, it appears that maybe both lists aren't as up-to-date or helpful as they could be.

I didn't think it was that because it's not called Best Buys of 2016 (buying advice it's completely different from recommendation) and because, contrary to what Alsone says, the Joovuu X is mentioned there. I thought it was some thread elsewhere in the forum.

I think were splitting hairs here as it's called "Best Dash Cams of 2016". Hardly a different meaning.

As for the JoovuuX, yep I missed that one.

It says last updated 21 July 2016, so presumably it should include pretty much every camera on this forum, assuming they merit inclusion. That's why it's puzzling that the Mobius Mk 1 gets the top screen less recommendation against eg. Mobius M2.

right now the M1 is a far better product for this use than an M2, I'm sure that will change in time as further development happens with the M2, likewise some of the ones you've mentioned might be great for specific tasks but aren't great as dashcams, horses for courses

Hi...Joovuu X and Git2 are on there. Yi 4K would make sense for someone looking for a 4k action camera...will add it to that category. Not sure if Mobius 2 is mature enough to add to the list. Will take a look at some of those other action cameras you mention as well.

Thanks

Back