Best parking mode to use?

NZguy64

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I've got the A129 wired up with the 3 wire kit, and I see theres quite a few options for parking mode. Timelapse, low bitrate recording and motion activated, etc. Just wondering in terms of other peoples' experiences, what the best mode is to use? Or which is the best in terms of space used/power used. Thanks

I too would like to know and I have gone through that thread. There are lots of talk on issues entering and exiting parking mode regarding delays but not much on power usage when in Timelapse, low bitrate or motion activated. I also cannot find info on the delays with period of no recording when an event is detected in these parking mode switching to normal recording. I think is kinda important not missing an event when it happens.

I too would like to know and I have gone through that thread. There are lots of talk on issues entering and exiting parking mode regarding delays but not much on power usage when in Timelapse, low bitrate or motion activated.

I'm no expert when it comes to the camera design, however I assume power consumption is the same or negligible for time lapse and low bitrate. I don't have experience with motion activation as I don't plan on using it.

I also cannot find info on the delays with period of no recording when an event is detected in these parking mode switching to normal recording. I think is kinda important not missing an event when it happens.

So far, I've been seeing a 6-12 sec delay between footage when transitioning to/from normal mode to/from PM, which in my mind is acceptable. I won't be using motion activated option as the A129 does not have buffering. Too much time will have lapsed between the event happening to when recording starts, this has been discussed in other threads.

I too would like to know and I have gone through that thread. There are lots of talk on issues entering and exiting parking mode regarding delays but not much on power usage when in Timelapse, low bitrate or motion activated. I also cannot find info on the delays with period of no recording when an event is detected in these parking mode switching to normal recording. I think is kinda important not missing an event when it happens.

Power draw I think would be quite close to what it consumes during normal recording, intention is to fit longer parking durations than a card can support when recording normally.

5fps time-lapse squeezes 12 minutes into a 3 minute file which is 250MB, whereas a 3 minute low-bitrate recording is 95MB, so either way it's at least three times as much when compared to a regular 3 minute file.

If you want nothing missed, suggest sticking to time-lapse or low-bitrate.

If you want nothing missed, suggest sticking to time-lapse or low-bitrate.

What happens when an event(g-senor triggered) happens in parking mode while using low-biyrate recording? Will there be a period of no video being recorded when it switch back to normal-bitrate or it just stays in low-bitrate after the g-sensor is set off? Thank you Harsh and bodycount28 for taking the time replying to my questions.

What happens when an event(g-senor triggered) happens in parking mode while using low-biyrate recording? Will there be a period of no video being recorded when it switch back to normal-bitrate or it just stays in low-bitrate after the g-sensor is set off? Thank you Harsh and bodycount28 for taking the time replying to my questions.

Camera records continuously in time lapse and low bitrate mode. As mentioned, the only gap in recording is transitioning between normal and PM mode.

Camera will keep recording, low-bitrate or time-lapse mode recording is continuous. Motion-detection or G-sensor applies only to auto event detection.

if the G sensor is triggered in parking mode will it lock the current low bit recording?

Drawback with low bitrate/time lapse is its always recording... even when parked in my garage where there is really no reason to have parking mode on. And its a pain having to manually disable it every time I get home. Buffered parking mode would be a plus

Drawback with low bitrate/time lapse is its always recording... even when parked in my garage where there is really no reason to have parking mode on. And its a pain having to manually disable it every time I get home. Buffered parking mode would be a plus
Thus the reason a few of us added a rocker switch to have the option to turn off PM more easily, see this thread:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a129-3-wire-kit.35898/page-9

Aside from some minor behavioral quirks, this setup has been running great.

Just hold down menu switch for 3 secs when in your garage and the unit switches off. Once you start your car the unit fires up again.

That's all I do every day when I park as mine runs off a cell link neo and would record for 24hrs before he battery died. The power button was one of the main reasons I chose the a129 over the bkackvue dr750

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

With 3 wire kit (set to cut the power at 12 V), parking mode enabled with 5 sec timelapse, I left the car for less than 2 days (about 16 pm to 11am next second day) just to see if the battery will hold it. Positive result: still recorded on parking mode when checked. Started the engine, auto switched to regular recording, so everything was OK.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Got a video also.

Sent from my [emoji637] [emoji809] [emoji642] using Tapatalk Pro

Got a video also.

Sent from my [emoji637] [emoji809] [emoji642] using Tapatalk Pro
Can you plug in the 3 wire hardwire kit to the gps mount? if not can i use power magic pro and will it switch automatically to parking mode? I really want the speed unit and gps to work. Thanks!

Back