Best settings as an Dashcam?

Zerk

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Dash Cam
Gitup Git 1, Git 2, Sjcam Sj4000 wifi,
When using Git 1 as a dashcam, whats the best settings day/night, lowlight / dark as general setting to get the best out of the camera? Of course with the best image quality as possibe (reading licenseplate, seeing faces)
WDR On? Off?
etc...

Bad reply here in Git1 you guys just run Git1 in deafult mode?

i only ever used my git1 as dashcam for a few tests during my review. it works great, but because it has a battery, i don't want to leave it in my car all the time - it's too hot. plus, i have an actual dashcam (with supercaps), which is also much more discrete/stealthy than the Git1, so i don't need my action camera to do double duty. I suspect most folks here also have dashcams (hence the name of the forum.) ;)

i only ever used my git1 as dashcam for a few tests during my review. it works great, but because it has a battery, i don't want to leave it in my car all the time - it's too hot. plus, i have an actual dashcam (with supercaps), which is also much more discrete/stealthy than the Git1, so i don't need my action camera to do double duty. I suspect most folks here also have dashcams (hence the name of the forum.) ;)

Thnx for the reply, well it does the job good and i needed the battery time without hardwiring the unit. Watched your review, good work!

I'm using the Git1 as a dashcam but when I'm parked I always take the camera with me (mostly for security concerns). For car DVR mode I recommend enabling the WDR option, the rest of the settings work very well on auto/default.

If I wanted to edit a video from the recordings then I might set a fixed white balance so that all the clips match, but for normal use I just use the defaults. For high contrast days, lots of sunshine, the WDR can definitely help to see things in the shadows.

Thnx Techtronic and Nigel. Well We will use git1 as dashcam in my companys all vehicles, some drivers ar less technical with electronics such as car dvr.. For us formfactor wasnt big deal, good Day and Night picture with details such as readable plates and face reconition with good battery time. I will set all on 1080p / 30 fps with WDR on. Units will be mounted on the dashboard with rotateble flat mount.

curious to see how they will handle the heat when the vehicles are parked. many battery-based cameras (especially ones with such large batteries as this) don't do well in the long term.

curious to see how they will handle the heat when the vehicles are parked. many battery-based cameras (especially ones with such large batteries as this) don't do well in the long term.
Not really a problem, if the batteries do give up after only 2 years then it only takes 10 seconds to swap to a new one, and since they are in Sweden I doubt they will overheat even on the hottest summer day anyway!

Dash mounting in a car isn't ideal in the summer, but maybe they are not for cars...

my concern would be the battery swelling and potentially bursting... but then i live in a freakin' hot climate, where 100f/38c is considered "warm" during the summer. i learned the hard way not to leave audio cassette tapes in direct sunlight - they melted to conform to whatever the tape was laying on top of in the back of a hatchback...

Together with the frame and suction cup, the battery with super / ultra capacitors will be the most wanted accessories for users of GitUP as a dashcam.

Together with the frame and suction cup, the battery with super / ultra capacitors will be the most wanted accessories for users of GitUP as a dashcam.
And maybe a car charger...

And maybe a change of form factor, so it doesn't look like a $400 GoPro thief magnet...

How do you think such "battery"?
View attachment 23501
I have one that looks similar, except the caps are fitted across the battery, at 90 degrees to yours. Only problem is that the camera doesn't detect low voltage fast enough to shut down safely - now I'm looking forward to a new firmware that shuts down quicker :D

And maybe a change of form factor, so it doesn't look like a $400 GoPro thief magnet...

Maybe we could fit it with a dashcam mask so that from the front it looks like a cheap dashcam? It is small compared to most dashcams so should be easy to do...

Only problem is that the camera doesn't detect low voltage fast enough to shut down safely - now I'm looking forward to a new firmware that shuts down quicker :D .

needs changes to the startup and shutdown scripts, the engineer can sort this easily but that would really need to be a selectable option as it may not suit regular battery users

needs changes to the startup and shutdown scripts, the engineer can sort this easily but that would really need to be a selectable option as it may not suit regular battery users
I think the only problem that stopped it working was that it seemed to check the battery voltage maybe only every 10 seconds, for the super capacitor it needs to check every second. Of course if it knew it had a super capacitor instead of a battery then it could just watch for loss of external power instead of checking battery voltage.

The super capacitor isn't necessarily better than a battery though, you can't set it to continue recording for 30 minutes after turning the ignition off.

Preparing git1's
Open frame mount
360 Rotateble flat mount
Ready to be mounted on the dashboards :)
Making my wife crazy...

Attachments

• 14648161287781932174040.jpg
    14648161287781932174040.jpg
    513 KB · Views: 28
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Olgu Git1 21
Back