CDV300 Series Firmware

In this case, it is not surprising if you use a different charger 3,1 A:)
How long do you wait for the GPS signal in SG firware?
Within 10mn maxi with cold start, and less than a minute otherwise

Was normally around 2 minute cold start on ours, not sure if current version hardware still uses the same gps as what was used last year though, it may not be the same spec

I think that jokiin's advice to avoid the CDV300 was well-intended, well-made, based on personal experience, & still holds true today. I wouldn't risk $130 plus 20% VAT plus UK Customs handling costs on importing a camera from China with immature firmware & suspect hardware / peripherals.

No legally enforceable Warranty. The expense, time-loss & inconvenience of shipping it back to China if it's faulty? No thanks.

This model is for DIY tinkerers whom are happy to prise open the camera case & fix it themselves. People seeking a hassle-free product they can fit & forget should be wary.

With warranty and support - sure if you think thats worth on average a $100 more. I've probably saved that much for people as I've done the tinkering and investigation now - I didn't pry open anything, in the end plugging it into a better supply.

I disagree that it was well-made or well-intended. Its evident, to me at least, that the discreditation was to protect their bottom dollar. If you look closely at the comments on these forums and on reddit, the e-rampage on the CDV began around the same time they were promoting their variant of the A118/B40. No real evidence was given, all under the guise of 'hardware issues'. Once people started complaining about power/stability, and once most of the CDV stock from Foxoffer was sold, they shared that it is a charging circuit design issue. Maybe their CDV pulled inventory will resurface as 'new and improved' now...

I actually am positive now the hardware is the same, given their firmware works on the platform and is stable now post better power supply. All these things come from China in the end, and China manufacturing is not the same as it was 10 years ago. People said the same thing about Japan once. Also the cameras sold by Foxoffer were based the design of and manufactured by (if not in the same plant as) TCL who have also started operation in Silicon Valley.

Last edited:
Was normally around 2 minute cold start on ours, not sure if current version hardware still uses the same gps as what was used last year though, it may not be the same spec

I highly doubt that. GPS chips are all drop-in with fairly standardized design and comms protocols.

My CDV flashed with your firmware has locked within 2 mins on cold start, but yes it will take longer if you're under a carport, blocked by a tree etc. Don't forget about RF and the physical world. On obstruction I've seen your firmware and the others take longer. It just so happens Cambox's firmware locks faster - why? they poll the GPS every 10 seconds on failure. I believe yours and TCL does this every 2 mins after initial lock fail. This is all from my empirical results.

variant of the A118/B40..... I actually am positive now the hardware is the same

The SG9665GC is not that same as the A118/B40.

See Amazon Q & A
http://www.amazon.com/forum/-/Tx38RV4PR26BXWZ/ref=ask_dp_dpmw_al_hza?asin=B00U0OJMYG

Q: Is this any better than your standard generic B40/A118 device?

A: Here is a side by side Night Time video so you can see for yourself. The SG9665GC might "look" like the B40/A118 from the outside but it's totally different inside. Instead of the weak Aptina sensor the SG9665GC uses a high end Sony IMX322 CMOS sensor which results in superior night performance. The all glass medium wide lens is also much sharper edge to edge resulting in a crystal clear perfectly focused image. The all metal lens housing keeps the lens from warping in high heat as well. The budget clone model B40/A118 lens is too wide and uses a cheap plastic lens/housing which results in an often times out of focus (heat warped) soft image. The SG9665GC has a higher spec Novatek NT96655 CPU which is more capable and has a higher heat tolerance than the B40/A118 NT96650 lower spec CPU. Let's not forget about the audio either. The microphone and sensitivity is far superior on the SG9665GC compared to the muffled B40/A118, you'll be pleasantly surprised how well audio is picked up. B40/A118 has a light non-stealth grey color adhesive, while the SG9665GC adhesive is stealth black, and blends in perfectly. The SG9665GC is a premium product that just happens to share the same shell. Brighter clearer screen, New PCB, New Upgraded Sensor, New Upgraded Lens, All Metal Lens Housing, updated extreme temp compatible super capacitor + enhanced power supply with a longer cord, 32GB microSD card pre-installed, microSD keychain USB card reader, microFiber bag, spare thicker mount for vertical windows, 3M static sticker for temp rental car installs, and more) Street Guardian is all about quality with over the top customer service and support

Yes it is, GPS is fairly standardized by NMEA for serial communications (there are a few proprietary methods, but they are few and far between). All major chips do this over UART. I could open the CDV and remove the GPS receiver and put in another manufacturers product and it will work. The HAL in the CDV just processes the serial messages and presents it to your application to do what you want - speed, update time, tracking.

The Amberalla a7 chipset has the ability to communicate to various different chipsets over UART and SPI/I2C. This is the case as you see these platforms with interchangeable CMOS sensors - Aptina, Sony etc (I believe you have done this in the past with some of your products).

The only difference is that the chip does not support GLONASS, as it does in the Russian Cambox variant which would be a dual GPS/GLONASS receiver. This is the only case I'd agree that the chip is different because I've found it to be so. Not the case between CDV and SG's variant.

@Pier28 - not talking about hardware between A118/B40 and your variant of it -- another opportunistic marketing stunt for the SG9665GC perhaps? with all the others that have found its way on this thread and many others...

Last edited:
@Pier28 - not talking about hardware between A118/B40 and your variant of it -- another opportunistic marketing stunt for the SG9665GC perhaps? with all the others that have found its way on this thread and many others...

I'm just making it clear for anyone else that wanders in to this thread. The SG9665GC is not a simple variant of the B40/A118, it's completely different. There is no stunt, Rick spent several months getting everything to where it's at today.

Last edited:
Never said it was a simple variant... just said it was because it is. You decided to construe a PR stunt out of it.

Never said it was a simple variant... just said it was because it is.

var·i·ant
ˈverēənt/
noun
  1. a form or version of something that differs in some respect from other forms of the same thing or from a standard.

I guess it depends what your definition of "differs in some respect" is. I listed quite a few things that are different above that carry it well past "some" IMO. The side by side above/below video comparison speaks for itself.

Last edited:
. I could open the CDV and remove the GPS receiver and put in another manufacturers product and it will work. .

good luck with that, yes they are all powered the same and send serial messages, that's about where the similarities end, there are certainly some common models that are used more than others but there's a huge variety of models, even from the same vendors that are not interchangeable, biggest issue on this platform has been the power supply design though, that's where it was a problem on the earlier generations, the design has been changed a couple of times that I know of, where the current version is at I'm not sure as we decided not to continue with this model, it cost us far too much already

I'll just take your word for it then... Oh wait I didn't to that before so why should I start now. Oh I remember why, must be because I have a inquisitive mind, knowledge in RF and know what standards mean.

Anyway, keeping with the firmware theme, here is the latest SG firmware with silent sounds and their original to any that want to try it out with their CDV300X:

1. SG original
2. SG silent sounds

Peace out DCT, this is my last post on these forums. Look beyond the brand!

Jeez someone had a bad day.

I've got different GPS dongles here that fit my A7 cameras and they don't all work, in the past I've tried different ones that have the same connector and no joy.

Don't forget just because a platform supports something doesn't mean that the library required is compiled into the firmware you have.

If it was that easy the Chinese cameras would have already dropped in better sensors - it takes a lot of time to get these things right and from seeing things from a different perspective you really don't realize how much work Jokiin puts into things like firmware.

You were happy to take the firmware he paid for from his own pocket but that bridge is definitely burned now

I was talking to another vendor on here (not mentioned at all in this post) and TCL still haven't released the camera to them while they sort some issues. Make of that what you will.

Last edited:
Wow, so much hate in this thread.
May be tmanz got a point here, manufacturers and retailers of different products should refrain from making comments on this products. Because there will always be this view of them posting their opinion with the intention of benefit to their own business/products. Well jokiin and Pier28 should probably back away from this thread and not offering anymore opinion and advice from now on (you won't receive any appreciation for trying to help others here). It is entirely up to TCL to provide firmware upgrade and solutions here (if they are actually here at all).

Out of curiosity I'm now glad I decided to read through the 1st half of page 1 of this thread as it turned out to be really helpful when I decide to buy my first dashcam.

Nobody has to take any-ones word for anything and what I'v learned about dash cams from DCT is that the cream of opinion or product often seems to rise to the top without ambiguity......... Sellers or not.

@jokiin........ Here's a man hug for you and you'd better continue to offer whatever experience you clearly have or else.

Oh yeah........ No homo.

I hope tmanz decides to stick around. I think he's been the single biggest contributor to this thread, and it would be a real shame if he (or she) decided to stop. I haven't had a single problem with my CDV300 (also purchased from the supposed first 'bad batch'), so I'm taking the reports of catastrophic design failures with a grain of salt. Considering there were quite a few of these 'lemons' sold, it's odd that we haven't seen a deluge of failure complaints.

Hi guys,
Does somebody know how to recover brick cam after firmware update failure?
I sold my CDV300X few days ago and buyer (he does not speak english) tried to change the firmware, but he started the upgrade process without plugging the device to external power supply. So, the update process failed due to lack of power and now cam does no longer turn on (black screen). Is there any way to set back original firmware?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Regards

Last edited:
Back