"CONCEPT" of Slide IN-OUT CPL filter ( manual / electric / photocell ? )

niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
Please don't laugh or judge me too harsh, this is just a concept which I have made quickly "on-the-go".

Due to CPL filter could be dashcam friend and its enemy at the same time, depending on light conditions ( day, night, dark, bright, etc ), always removing - attaching a CPL it is a big PITA.
Over year ago I thought about CPL filter solution that could be slide in / out automatically or manually without completely removing it.
Only now I remembered that idea again and made some quick prototype / samples to explain my concept on how it would work. This is far from perfect solution. I used only materials / tools I found nearby laying around, just to show this concept.
I was not able to fully finish it due to lack of time and I had in hand only Street Guardian SG9665GC, which is too small to try out this idea. Best would be to work on bigger size dashcams, but at least I tried ;)

Manual Slide In-Out
As you may see, idea is simple if to use it as manual Slide IN / OUT solution. In the morning you make sure to move CPL to cover lens and for night time driving you "Slide-away" CPL filter. At all time CPL filter stay attached to slide in/out mechanism part. No need attach-detach, or aligning correct CPL filter position.

Electric and Automatic ( Photocell ) Slide In-Out
This would be more advanced solution. In theory and in practice is doable ( just matter of patience and time ).
a) I was thinking to use some RC mini-servo, connect via gears to CPL filter slide in-out mechanism and via remote on/off button can operate when needed.
b) connect RC servo to photoelectric light sensor, which could automatically / instantly Slide in or out CPL filter.

Of course to apply this solution to dashcam, - it must be designed and implemented along with specific dashcam model on the very first place of design / development. It hard to make it as an "add-on" to fit all.

Below is my "Frankenstein" concept.
I don't have much time now to further "develop" this project.
Just wanted to share my ideas, so maybe someone else want to try it out or go from here with better solutions if they find it useful to try it.

Also we can discuss / debate all pros, cons, practicality etc. of this concept.

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

a6.jpg

a7.jpg

a8.jpg

a9.jpg

a10.jpg

Last edited:
Automated CPL would be a great deluxe accessory. Everything always starts out as an idea. Keep dreaming and anything is possible when you ask/try.

You obviously perform better than the "apprentice" winner for ingenuity !!!!

Ingenious and simple. The only shortcoming I see is a 'stop' mechanism to prevent inadvertent separation of the components. Should be a simple matter to address - maybe make the 'slider' a bit longer with 'ears' on it.

Automated CPL would be a great deluxe accessory. Everything always starts out as an idea. Keep dreaming and anything is possible when you ask/try.

the technology exists already to electrically switch a polariser off and on, just hasn't filtered down into something we can use for our application as yet, give it time

I start to think that automatic ir-cutter module because in there filter is between cmos and lense,
but if i swap that ir filter to cpl filter will it work like it should, i have no idea should cpl filter be in front of lense or can it be both ways.
Here is what filter unit looks like from inside, parts are very light/weak so i suspect it can move only filters that are not made of glass, and if i assume that it is possible to put cpl filter inside there it would be very hard task to turn it in right position.

the type of polariser I was referring to is sandwiched between two glass layers and is optically transparent until powered and then it becomes a polariser, it's not ready yet but I think it's the kind of tech we'll need to be able to make polarisers viable for mainstream use

the type of polariser I was referring to is sandwiched between two glass layers and is optically transparent until powered and then it becomes a polariser, it's not ready yet but I think it's the kind of tech we'll need to be able to make polarisers viable for mainstream use
Yes, less moving parts would be better and cheaper in long run.

Yes, this would be a very cool technology if it were available for this purpose! It's known as "Smart Glass" and comes in different forms that have different properties for different purposes. It is currently used in architectural settings for privacy purposes and also is coming into use as a polarizer for "climate adaptive" windows in office buildings. Depending on the materials used in the glass and the way current (or heat/light) is applied to it, the polarization can be modified to achieve different effects. I think it will be quite awhile before this technology filters down to where it is affordable and practical for optical filters in cameras but it will be pretty cool when it does. A "smart glass" electrochromic polarizer on a dash cam lens could conceivably adjust itself dynamically according to the angle of reflection coming from a car's dashboard.

openglass.jpg

closedglass.jpg

Last edited:
That's about when I first started hearing about it too. At various times over the years the concept has been featured in science fiction novels and films; now it's a real thing.

What about the photo sensitive lens in eyeglasses? Couldn't remember the name atm. (photochromatic??) One that goes dark out side and turn clear indoors.

Back