Creating locked files for every parking recording seems wrong

grombulator

Reaction score
Country
United States
From what I can tell using my A229 with a hardwire kit, it locks every recording captured based on motion while parked. This seems very excessive. I'll get dozens of recordings at night, and during the day I often park on busy streets so the parking mode is constantly capturing recordings. This means before too long, the SD card fills up completely with locked parking files and regular driving recordings will have no room to be saved at all, until I clear out the card.

I just want the parking recordings to be regular files that can be overwritten. Am I missing something? The way it is does not seem optimal.

I found another discussion about this on another model.

I think most dashcams today have a set ( and often unknown ) amount of the memory space set aside for event recordings, and once filled the camera will also overwrite event files.
At least it was that way with a SG camera i tested a while back, and with a plenty large memory card 256 GB it was absolutely no problem.

I tested one night on the table, turned G-sensor on and then just flicked the camera now and then as i went about my work on the computer, i can not recall how much of the memory space was taken up with that camera, but it was quite reasonable to me, plenty of event files stored.

Of course i only generate actual events either i press event button, or someone hit my car while it is parked, i have never used G-sensor on while driving as why would i, the camera record none the less and i can always press the button.
Mind you some cameras still do not allw for a OFF setting for G-sensor. but fortunatly the are tuned better these days so on low i only generate 1 -2 events a month on that account.

Also i use low bitrate for parking guard mode, but i have G-sensor on for while parked just to act as a flag for any actual events

I think most dashcams today have a set ( and often unknown ) amount of the memory space set aside for event recordings, and once filled the camera will also overwrite event files.
At least it was that way with a SG camera i tested a while back, and with a plenty large memory card 256 GB it was absolutely no problem.

I tested one night on the table, turned G-sensor on and then just flicked the camera now and then as i went about my work on the computer, i can not recall how much of the memory space was taken up with that camera, but it was quite reasonable to me, plenty of event files stored.

Of course i only generate actual events either i press event button, or someone hit my car while it is parked, i have never used G-sensor on while driving as why would i, the camera record none the less and i can always press the button.
Mind you some cameras still do not allw for a OFF setting for G-sensor. but fortunatly the are tuned better these days so on low i only generate 1 -2 events a month on that account.
You might be right. I just checked, and all those locked parking files only used 70GB of 256GB total.

I also seem to remember something about that memory space being dynamic in some way, i think i got this from Rick / jookin which had the street guardian brand, but unfortunately this dashcam oracle was tanke from us rather untimely.
This of course could also just be the case of the street guardian brand cameras.
You can always play around with it, make a note of when the oldest file are from, generate some more and it should be gone if the memory space are full.

I use 256GB cards myself, and with the little event files i generate, and if i use the same card a long time, and dont do a format as we preach you should do once in a while, well i will have footage in the RO folder going back at least 6 months, even if i fill the card up about every 3-4 weeks.

Anyways if you have a serious alteration, you should pull the card ASAP, just to be safe.
I would try to keep the camera running in the wrecked car, CUZ the other part might do something that deserve a " reward" later on, like threats or something.
In a event i would try to lure the other part near to my car for talking, and of course have the windows down or the doors open so the microphone have a chance to capture something of value.

Last edited:
I also seem to remember something about that memory space being dynamic in some way, i think i got this from Rick / jookin which had the street guardian brand, but unfortunately this dashcam oracle was tanke from us rather untimely.
This of course could also just be the case of the street guardian brand cameras.
You can always play around with it, make a note of when the oldest file are from, generate some more and it should be gone if the memory space are full.

I use 256GB cards myself, and with the little event files i generate, and if i use the same card a long time, and dont do a format as we preach you should do once in a while, well i will have footage in the RO folder going back at least 6 months, even if i fill the card up about every 3-4 weeks.

Anyways if you have a serious alteration, you should pull the card ASAP, just to be safe.
I would try to keep the camera running in the wrecked car, CUZ the other part might do something that deserve a " reward" later on, like threats or something.
In a event i would try to lure the other part near to my car for talking, and of course have the windows down or the doors open so the microphone have a chance to capture something of value.
Thanks for those tips.

No problem. we are here to help and make sure we have as many cameras in cars as possible, so the right people can pay for their wrongdoings.

From what I can tell using my A229 with a hardwire kit, it locks every recording captured based on motion while parked. This seems very excessive. I'll get dozens of recordings at night, and during the day I often park on busy streets so the parking mode is constantly capturing recordings. This means before too long, the SD card fills up completely with locked parking files and regular driving recordings will have no room to be saved at all, until I clear out the card.

I just want the parking recordings to be regular files that can be overwritten. Am I missing something? The way it is does not seem optimal.
If you want to disable this function, you can update this firmware: https://we.tl/t-lBszFOnPO1
Then it will not lock files in parking mode.

Viofo are listening, and doing stuff as best they can, that is nice, a must have in a good dashcam brand.

Back