Daighters first car, 2010 Fiat 500

Bigmacdaddy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm confused and need some constructive opinions on what route I should take on my daughters first car?

Looking at the Nextbase 322 model but I'm not sure if the plug in rear view camera would be sufficient over the rear window camera.

My thoughts are being a small compact car the distance between front and back is reduced but it does mean that the rear view is less obstructed.
Being a hatchback I'm also concerned about trailing cables however I'll be having it professionally fitted to ensure everything is as it should be and it maintain power when parked.

Am I overthinking or would this model with the rear view camera offer adequate protection in the event of an insurance claim / dispute?

Thanks
Darren

Looking at the Nextbase 322 model
We don't recommend dashcams with internal lithium batteries, they suffer from summer heat and often don't last more than one summer before expanding and bursting the camera open. Nextbase do not make them user replaceable.

My thoughts are being a small compact car the distance between front and back is reduced but it does mean that the rear view is less obstructed.
You won't get a great image, apart from having a lot of pillars in the way, and headrests, it will not be able to see downwards, so licence plates will not be visible unless they are too far away to read. If you are having it professionally fitted then there is no need to worry about the cable, it will go behind the trim.

Am I overthinking or would this model with the rear view camera offer adequate protection in the event of an insurance claim / dispute?
Generally, if you are hit in the rear, the front camera and audio will show that it was not your fault, and you don't really need to show that it was not your fault anyway, since it is assumed that the person who drove into your rear is at fault if there is no evidence showing otherwise. Having rear video does stop any arguments instantly so is good to have, and can be useful if someone drives off after hitting you, but it is not normally essential evidence, the front video is very good evidence in a rear collision.

Thanks Nigel.
Is there a dash can you would recommend?

Darren

Thanks Nigel.
Is there a dash can you would recommend?

Darren
You could look at this forum's recommendations, but I'm not sure it helps you much, seems to be lacking in explanation! :

It does recommend the Viofo Mini 2 as best all round dashcam, which is an excellent single channel dashcam, and I think a good recommendation for you.
If you want two channels then I suggest the Viofo A229 Plus which is very similar to the Mini 2 but bigger, and a bit too new to get into that list.

If those are above budget then Viofo's older dashcams are still pretty good and reliable, although using last generation image sensors so are definitely not as good in darker conditions. A119 V3 for single channel or Viofo A129 (Plus) Duo for dual channel, both of which are mentioned in the above link.

Those are all 2K resolution, so you get nearly 2x the detail compared to the Nextbase 322.

Those are best bought on Amazon UK.

Back