Damn...Damn....Damn

Bluenose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 622GW
This morning driving back from Exeter, I was cut up quite badly at the M5 Services Junction and so I thought that I would have a look at it.

Popped the cards into the pc and blow me, my journey into Exeter is all there along with details of me parking up but, there is absolutely nothing of my return journey. I didn't go straight home from Exeter, I went to Budleigh Salterton, parked the car, went and did what I had to do and then drove home.

The camera only seemed to kick into life again after I had started the car up to drive home from Budleigh, it had recorded whilst I was parked there for another 30minutes and it has also recorded my journey home from Budleigh, but absolutely nothing of the incident that I needed to have.

Any thoughts from the boffins please. Many thanks.

Model number, firmware version, memory card, current settings?

Hope the following will help, thank you

Panoram X2
A fairly old version that seems work OK. it is 1.01.09
Memory cards are Lexar 633x 32gb

Current settings are :-
Language - English
LED Setup - Off
Speed - MPH
Speaker - Middle
Record - 2 Minutes
1080P front and rear
Bright - Middle
Bit rate - High
LED Standby 1 minute
Summertime - On
GMT + 0
Mode - Normal = 50%
Parking = 30%
Event = 20%

My experience is that almost every camera I've tried will occasionally fail to start recording, usually due to an unusual occurrence during startup such as power interruption, or any interruption occurring earlier or later than usual and confusing the cam. Also user error, card error, power supply failure etc.

So the wife and I run two different front cams in our cars (and one rear which is less important than front but still useful and nice to have). A few months ago one of my car's cams hadn't powered up properly and didn't record someone reversing into me (although my other cam captured it and was very helpful for a quick and hassle-free insurance claim) and only last month the micro sd card failed in our family car's main cam.

Overheated?

There wasn't much sun this morning, but when it found a gap in the clouds it was very strong and the visibility was probably good for 100 miles, no mist or pollution to reduce the heating power of the sun...

Check your sd card. I think it's time to change your sd card. :)
Try another card.

I noticed few times, if I put the car keys in ACC that starts the dashcams and I start it after few moments and some dashcam shutdown and don't come back up.
So I usually just start the car or turn it back from ACC untill dashcams shut down and then start it up.

I noticed few times, if I put the car keys in ACC that starts the dashcams and I start it after few moments and some dashcam shutdown and don't come back up.
So I usually just start the car or turn it back from ACC untill dashcams shut down and then start it up.

Yes, it's a problem to varying extents depending on the cam. Modern diesel cars (which I have) can be especially problematic with their 'glow plug pause' and subsequent interruption to power which tends to cause many cams to power up and immediately power off.

The same unwanted power down can happen if a car stops and waits to pick someone up, where the engine is switched off but the 12v socket remains live due to the key still being in the ignition. When the key is turned to re-start the engine the power interruption can cause the cam to shut down.
Stop-start systems may have the same effect.

some dashcam or some model dashcam ?
i think you should tell everybody in your reviews about this.

some dashcam or some model dashcam ?
i think you should tell everybody in your reviews about this.
I don't/didn't do this as a part of test.
I just remembered few did that.
Maybe I should test this step on all dashcams. Hmm...

I don't/didn't do this as a part of test.
I just remembered few did that.
Maybe I should test this step on all dashcams. Hmm...
Sure, i think you should ;) In fact, everything you feel inconvenient, everything you feel unreliable. Don't feel you are in debt anything with GB. They have your value time and efforts ! I am sure no - one in this forums can make helpfull reviews better than you. :D

Visual check of car before entering. Check outside mirror adjustment on sitting. Start engine monitoring gauges a few moments. Check fuel gauge. Check dashcams. Put foot on brake before shifting into gear.

That is a set routine/ritual for me and it's saved headaches numerous times. I know the cams are on and apparently functioning properly before I move. Anything that seems unusual gets the needed attention or I don't go.

Phil

Sure, i think you should ;) In fact, everything you feel inconvenient, everything you feel unreliable. Don't feel you are in debt anything with GB. They have your value time and efforts ! I am sure no - one in this forums can make helpfull reviews better than you. :D
Actually, the model that did that is non GB .
And no I don't feel in debt, it's just the fact that I didn't test any dashcam for that specifically.

2000rpm said
"Stop-start systems may have the same effect."

I drive a hybrid and, I am now wondering if this might be part of my problem.

I've been out for a short trip this morning and when I looked at the files for the front camera everything seems to have worked fine in the 'NORMAL' mode. However, there are no files whatsoever in the 'PARKING' mode, it hasn't recorded anything at all and I was parked up for almost fifteen minutes.

Any thoughts on this please. Is it likely to be the cards or the camera?

Whilst on the subject of cards, I am currently using Lexar 633x 32gb. If I need to replace them, should I get the same or are there now other recommendations? Thank you.

Anyone got any comments on my last post above please?

Cards are always the weakest link and any dash camera. The X2 can be a bit extra finicky as you know. Do you want to update to the newest firmware? I thought I recall you posting you were on an older version

Hello Pier28, Do you think that not recording in Parking Mode is most likely a card problem then? What is the current recommendation for the cards, what make and size?

Yes you are right, I am on an older versions of the firmware. My version is 1.01.09. Is there anything to be gained from updating as I have see posts in the past where updating has caused problems or, is the system more stable now.

Thanks for helping.

Back