Does 70MAI parking surveillance work properly?

Turgineer

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Dash Cam
70MAI A400
Hello, I am using A400 dashcam and I will buy UP02 Hardware Kit.

Because I want the camera to be alert not only on the road but also when parked. Some questions arose in my mind after watching some of the reviews:

-Does parking mode drain the car's battery? *The website says it technically won't drain.

-How many seconds after does the dashcam start recording after it senses a collision? (in park mode)

Welcome to the forum Turgineer.

The hard wire kit should have a selector( slide 4 position switch ) for low voltage cut off, the values are normally 11.8 - 12.0 - 12.2 - 12.4 Volts ( not lower than 12.2 is recommended for lead acid batteries, this is considered 50 % depleted battery and should not eat too much into battery life expectancy )
It is a bit different how dashcams handle events.
Some will give you a few seconds buffer from before the triggering event, and then stop again some seconds after the event.
Some save segments, so say you are set up to 3 minutes, the camera would lock the current file and you will have ? seconds from before the actual event ( this could be 1 second to 2 minutes 59 seconds before the trigger event.
Yet others that do that will save 2 segments, so say 3 minute files again, if the trigger happen 1 minute into the current segment it will lock this current segment and the previous one, and you would have 4 minutes before and 2 minutes after.
On the other hand if you are 2 minutes into the current segment and the trigger happen, current segment will be saved + the following one, and so you will have 2 minutes from before event and 4 minutes after.

Mind you this 2 segment way ( which i very much like ) i dont think anyone use today, but it was how the dead brand Street guardian did it.

M y preferred parking guard mode is low bitrate, it always record so you miss nothing, it have sound too, and as it is low bitrate the file size are much smaller than the conventional recordings.

Parking guard of course are subject to environmental influences, as you know a car parked in the sun can get very warm, and electronics can only handle so much heat, so parked in the sun a dashcam no matter the parking mode might well shut down after a while to protect itself.
Only very few dashcams today will come back on once temperature is lower again, for the most it is a permanent stop to recordings / function, until you get in the car and turn it on which sort of reset everything and you of course have normal operation from the get go.

If your model is a battery type system, well it have a little Lipo battery inside, these often die rather fast as they are not made to handle severe heat or cold, hence why we generally recommend systems with capacitors for emergency power inside.

It is a bit different how dashcams handle events.
Some will give you a few seconds buffer from before the triggering event, and then stop again some seconds after the event.
Some save segments, so say you are set up to 3 minutes, the camera would lock the current file and you will have ? seconds from before the actual event ( this could be 1 second to 2 minutes 59 seconds before the trigger event.
Yet others that do that will save 2 segments, so say 3 minute files again, if the trigger happen 1 minute into the current segment it will lock this current segment and the previous one, and you would have 4 minutes before and 2 minutes after.
On the other hand if you are 2 minutes into the current segment and the trigger happen, current segment will be saved + the following one, and so you will have 2 minutes from before event and 4 minutes after.
From what I've heard, 70MAI dash cams only activate the G-sensor when in parking mode, and when it senses a collision, the camera starts recording. Some reviews report that some 70MAI cameras turn on late after sensing a collision.

Yes if it do not have a buffer, then the camera have to wake up, and then start to record, so that is not very nice
Of course if someone crashed into your car it will probably be enough, but for the little things most of us experience it will probably be too little too late.

I have tested parking guard on the 70mai Omni i am testing, and its smart motion detect is pretty good in not making a lot of false recordings while parked, i think in 3-4 months of testing i only saw 2 of those.
But the down side is, well at least in regard to motion trigger, a person have to stand still in front of the camera for a few seconds before it start a recording, and track the person.

I think it is also supposed to turn in the direction of a impact and start recording, but i dont really have a way to test that.

Also i have a A800S in my car, but i have not tested parking guard on that.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DashCamMan A400 / A400HS 1
J A400 / A400HS 5
Back