Does a dashcam like this exist?

Bernuga

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Hi everybody, I'm new here, I never had a dashcam before so I hope you can help me, I'm searching a dashcam with the following features:
-24/7 recording also when car is parked
-no SD card, remote recording on cloud so even if somebody steal the car it will keep filming telling me where it is on my phone/tablet
-GPS included
-very small so I can hidden it somewhere where a thief wont see it, no LCD display needed

-Front and rear, sides if possible

Basically I'm looking for something who can record everything 24/7 even when car is off and parked, if a thief steal the car I can see remotely where he is, if somebody else is driving (like my son) I can see on my phone/Tablet where he is, if a thief get into the car he won't notice the camera so he won't take it off.
I don't even know if a camera like this exists, but can somebody here please help me in finding the best option?Thanks
PS: sorry for my bad english

Remote recording means the dash camera needs to be equiped with 3G or 4G communication module, this is not new technology but the data cost is an issue, however, there are already several dash cameras with built-in 3G or 4G on the market.

I personally think an ordinary dual dash cam + a seperate GPS tracker(2G) is an alternative solution.

Thanks for your answer Fabio.he, but what can I do to have remote storage of recorded videos?And to have a 24/7 recording do I have to connect the dashcam directly to the car battery?

The one camera that comes the closest to what you have in mind is called the Owl Cam, although it is likely not available in Italy because it currently requires the AT&T 4G network. If an incident occurs in your car the camera sends an alert to an app on your phone and provides a live feed and other data.

https://owlcam.com/

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...eers-from-apple-drop-cam-and-microsoft.32949/
Thanks Dashmellow, actually I'm Italian but I live in Mexico where I think there's the AT&T network, I need this dashcam as protection for the car in case of damages/steal and for the family in case of assault, that's why I would like something that send recorded videos remotely, with an SD card once you remove it you lost all proofs, am I wrong?

Around 100mb per minute per camera of video, how much can you afford to send and store?
It's a question for me about monthly costs?I really have no idea to be honest, what would you suggest to have something that can't be removed as proof from an assault or a thief?

Large amounts of video and the cost of sending and storing it is one of the primary reasons what you're looking for doesn't exist, it's not practical
Ok, what would you suggest to have proofs in case of an assault?Imagine someone stop the car to kidnap you or someone else, if he removes the camera with SD card he also removes proofs, would it be possible to have a dashcam with a separate storage for the SD memory that could be hidden somewhere inside the car?
For the 24/7 recording, the connection to the car battery is an option?

It's a question for me about monthly costs?I really have no idea to be honest, what would you suggest to have something that can't be removed as proof from an assault or a thief?

The camera comes with a free one year LTE 4G plan and cloud service with a monthly subscription charge of $9.99 or $99.00 per year after that. I suggest checking out the links I posted which provide the camera specs, service details and a FAQ. See the "help center" section.

costs.png

The camera comes with a free one year LTE 4G plan and cloud service with a monthly subscription charge of $9.99 or $99.00 per year after that. I suggest checking out the links I posted which provide the camera specs, service details and a FAQ. See the "help center" section.

Yes, I watched the links you posted for me, seems interesting but then I found this:

What you guys think about the BlackVue DR900S-2CH?

Some buyers of that camera go " return it" too.

Your best option is to have a camera with remote cameras, so you can hide the main unit with the memory card somewhere in your car.
The last thing kidnappers or thieves have are time to dig around for a dashcam, and beside if they are smart no dashcam will work cuz they will be wearing masks.

Your best option is to have a camera with remote cameras, so you can hide the main unit with the memory card somewhere in your car.
The last thing kidnappers or thieves have are time to dig around for a dashcam, and beside if they are smart no dashcam will work cuz they will be wearing masks.

Good observations, thanks, any suggestions about models with remote cameras?

Almost anyone can spot a working camera with thermal.

Thats the problem, it is only now that cameras with more than the rear camera being remote are coming to the market.
So no one have really been released as far as i know, but i have for a while been testing on the K2S that are a dual remote camera.

Other are also about to release similar cameras soon.
Also if you hope to run 24/7 and in Mexico, at least if you park out in the sun you will be better off with a camera not on the windscreen.
But 24/7 you can only do if you have a nuclear battery, otherwise you have to drive some every day to recharge your car battery, or have the car on trickle charge when parked.
Dashcams do not use that much power, but if you don't drive you will sooner or later ( depending on car battery size and condition ) reach the cut off value which should be 12 volts or more.
Discharging your car battery more than 12 V will ruin the battery faster.

Almost anyone can spot a working camera with thermal.
From what I understood, the SD memory would be hidden, not the camera, with this configuration, even if someone stole the camera you still have a video of the event recorded in the SD

Yes, I watched the links you posted for me, seems interesting but then I found this:

What you guys think about the BlackVue DR900S-2CH?

I can't speak for or against the OWL Cam having not had any experience with it but the guy in the video sounds like an uniformed dough-head who basically doesn't have a clue. Many of his complaints about the camera show a lack of understanding about dash cams in general or the stated design goals and capabilities of the OWL cam in particular. He offers up a litany of complaints, says the camera needs a complete redesign (with more features) and much lower pricing and then says, "Other than that I like the camera". And who even calls dash cams, "dash cammers"? When I encounter a guy like this offering "reviews" and "opinions" on YouTube I rarely even watch the whole thing.

With the dual remote dashcams, the camera units are wired to the main unit where all the work are don't and the memory card is too.
If it wasent for thermal reasons i think you could lock the main unit into a car safe if you somehow can get the wires to go in there too, a camera like this will have at least 4 wires leading to the main unit.
one wire to each of the 2 cameras - one wire to power it all, and one wire to the GPS antenna if you use that ( not 100 % needed for operation )
You have already for some years been able to get the same kind of system for CCTV use with a main unit and little cameras on wires, but this are not really good for in car use, and it is also much more expensive than dedicated dashcams.

Thanks to everybody here that is helping me, in your opinión:
-it is better a small hidden camera or a visible camera (OWL also have Green led to show it's working) as deterrent?
-what should I do to avoid problems with high temperatures?
-a 24/7 recording connected with car battery would it be ok if I drive the car daily, so it would be only during night hours the descharge of the battery?

Thanks to everybody here that is helping me, in your opinión:
-it is better a small hidden camera or a visible camera (OWL also have Green led to show it's working) as deterrent?
-what should I do to avoid problems with high temperatures?
-a 24/7 recording connected with car battery would it be ok if I drive the car daily, so it would be only during night hours the descharge of the battery?

I'm of the opinion that you may be better off with a very discreet traditional dash cam as I'm not convinced that a flashing LED on the camera is really all that much of a deterrent and could even attract unwanted attention. The upcoming (but long over due since first announced) Street Guardian SG9663DR which uses two small remote discreet camera modules connected to a central (potentially hidden) main control box might be a good option. The similar concept INNOVV K2 (DUAL Channel) Motorcycle Camera might work.

You'll need a big enough memory card and adequate battery capacity, of course. Aside from using your car battery (which can have some drawbacks) many people use a portable power bank or a dedicated hard wired dash cam power pack such as one of the
Cellink models.

As for GPS tracking, that might be best accomplished with a separate dedicated tracking device designed specifically for this purpose. GPS units in dash cams are generally designed only for capturing your coordinates and displaying them on the video itself or for viewing your location, speed and other data on a live Google map and console on your computer monitor when viewing your footage at home rather than remotely tracking your vehicle.

Some good GPS tracking devices are discussed
HERE.

Back