DR750 LTE "PLUS" worth upgrading to? Plus comments on LTE/Cloud use

Triggerfish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I bought a DR750-2CH LTE at launch (about a year ago?) and just never got it out with COVID locking me down (RE: I don't drive into work anymore/work from home) plus the fact that I was very happy with my DR900S setup. Why did I buy? I really wanted to play around with the built in LTE and test out the "superior" low light capabilities of the 750 models.

Well a month ago I bought a new car and decided to install the LTE and see how I like it and the ability to be hooked to the cloud 24/7 with auto uploads. Here's my take:

Love the 750 and it does seem better at night, but there is definitely some pixel loss (as expected) during the day. Overall I am VERY pleased with the 750 and plan on keeping it in the car it's in. I also just bought a DR900 Plus, just haven't had time to compare but am watching what everyone else is saying :).

The things I like about it-

1. Build in LTE, of course! If I see something, I can just wave my finger past the proximity sensor and have the clip automatically uploaded and ready to share/view almost immediately. Without a doubt, my favorite feature!

2. any crash/accident should trigger an automatic upload to the cloud, so no matter what happens to me or the dashcam, the clip should be retrievable. Why would you want this? If you are injured or knocked out, your camera could be thrown from the car, stolen, or "magically disappear". The main caveat here is that the camera would need to still be hooked to power for a short period of time and/or smashed itself in order to upload the file. But at least there is a fighting chance, given the scenarios where the footage could disappear, that you or a loved one (or police) could get the footage.

3. With the correct settings, it doesn't use that much data. I have mine set to auto upload only while I'm parked under an impact or when I do a manual recording. I also sometimes live view and download a clip here or there. I am paying $10/month for a t-mobile "pay as you go" sim, and it's been perfect!

Things I don't like:

1. Size of the unit. I knew what I was getting myself into with buying this. It's not really a big deal though, and the tradeoff of having built in LTE is awesome. Keep in mind that when I bought this, the newer 750 with wired LTE module was not available. And when I really think about it, I'm not sure I'd care to go that route instead of the built in LTE.

2. It's heavy. My new vehicle allows me to use a blendmount, and I'm glad.. Not sure how the 3M tape would hold up to this much weight over time.

So, that being said, I'm curious as to whether it really is worth it to upgrade to the 750 LTE Plus?

@Vortex Radar did a great comparison of the original LTE model and the Plus model.

I recently reviewed the Plus model and the original LTE model but did not have the original anymore to do a side by side like vortex did but I did a side by side with the DR900X-2CH Plus.

And my review:

Honestly I would probably wait until the next gen one. The dynamic range is better in the new model, but it didn't seem like there is much better clarity in reading license plates. I am hoping next year they will bump it up to 1440p. Since the 590 model is 1080p front and rear, it would be nice if the mid level 750 models would be 1440p + 1080p.

Is there any chance that blackvue will update the dr750 lte 2 channel, to connect more than one devise to share its lte connection?

I don't know if the 750x-LTE was changed/updated, but the LTE Plus version has been changed to allow 5 devices to be connected to the LTE.

I do believe Blackvue updated the pairing/connection to WiFi for the older 750x-LTE...

Back