Fuse Tap Dash Cam Problem

MechanicalMan64

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Fuse Tap Dash Cam Problem

Hi All,

I'm just using my previous post instead of creating a new one.

So recently I've ordered 2 standard mini ATC fuse taps and fuses along with the female cigarette lighter sockets (see diagram below) with the intention that I install one for my Camry and one for my 2014 Lexus ES350.

I've successfully installed the Camry with no problem. However, when I moved on to the Lexus I realized I needed the Low-Pro Mini ATC Fuse tap and fuses... so I ordered those and it came yesterday.

I'm piggybacking off the 15A cigarette fuse and tried many ways and there's no way I can get power in my newly added socket. But when I plugged it back into the cigarette socket it works?

Here's what I tried:
1) The original 15A cig fuse + 5A cig fuse (made sure the placement is correct- that is the 15A first then 5A second)... doesn't work
2) Used both 15A original cig fuse + 15A fuse from ebay... doesn't work
3) Borrowed the rear cig socket 15A fuse and used both factory fuses... doesn't work
4) Triple checked the female cig socket connections to the fuse wires... doesn't work
5) Used another fuse spot tap instead (ie. the rear cig lighter)... doesn't work

In all these instances above, I was able to get power in the original cig lighter socket but just couldn't get anything on my newly fuse tap?

Any idea?

For reference, this is the one I picked up: https://www.ebay.com/itm/291463069422

==============================================

ORIGINAL POST

Hi All,

Just wanted to run this idea through you guys for any comments or feedbacks. Essentially, I have two dash cams (one in the front and one in the back) that I would like to hardware via fusetap.

Just wanted someone to help me confirm if:
1) 3A fuse is sufficient for 2 dash cams? Do I need at least 5A?
2) Can I connect both the red wires into 1 single fuse tap? Or do I need two separate fuse taps?

Attached diagram for reference of what I essentially want to do here:
fusetap.jpg

Last edited:
You may connect both red into one fuse. Can use 3 or 5 amp. I prefer to use 5Amp.

A 3 amp fuse should give twice the current required, if it turns out to be not enough then there is no need to worry as it will do it's job and then you could replace it by a 5 amp after checking there isn't actually a fault.

If you use a 5 amp fuse then make sure the cable you use is also rated at 5 amp.

Your diagram is fine.

Thanks Nigel- I purchased a fuse tap that is up to 10A so should be good.

Though it will work, I'd still do them on 2 different taps...the way you have it set up....if the fuse blows then both cameras fail. If set up on 2 different taps, you will still have at least one camera still functioning. One is better than none.

Bumped- as I ran into a problem with the install and leveraging my original post above.

You might need to visit your local car audio installation shop for help if you exhausted all DIY methods to the best of your ability. Hopefully someone else here has more ideas though

Did you check your ground to chassis connections?

Back