Fwd/Rwd facing cameras that record to android head unit?

Tbev

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm insane android head unit (atito s8 premium). It has a couple atoto options but the front camera with built in dvr is this clunky unit that sticks on the inside of the windshield. I want each camera hard mounted outside the car on the rear plate and in front in the grill or tucked in the front of the car, not stuck to the dash with cables running all over the dash.

Does anyone know of a nice camera I van use for each of these that will work with the android head unit? I'm hoping I can find an app that will take the two camera inputs and record them to a SD card in the head unit whenever the car is on. Any help is greatly appreciated, I sure am glad I found this forum, it seems awesome!

Welcome to the forum Tbev.

There are no such upgrade to Android head units that i am aware of.
I think some brand car stereo have a option to connect a dash camera ( not reversing camera ) but there are very little talk of these in here, so probably not worth it VS a dedicated system.

Today most dashcams have wifi, and so can connect to android phones, i would assume also a Android head unit, but this is not a automatic pairing like say bluetooth from your phone to head unit might be, so you will have to make that wifi connection on each startup.

Outside mounted cameras i am not too crazy about.

1: they are exposed to the elements so lens get dirty fast, i assume also scratched fast. This dont matter much with a low resolution reversing camera, but for a dash camera it might be a issue ( though Tesla cameras often ate outside cameras )
2: conventional dash cameras are best installed center and as high as possible, and within reach of your wipers ( i have rear wiper too, which are nice cuz the flat rear end of my car get dirty very fast )
3: outside cameras of course also have to be waterproof, and some are, a few brands do offer a waterproof rear camera, but it is rare i have seen them in use.

You of course have to tidy up your wiring, in Denmark you can not have a wire dangling in the windscreen, or anything else, if police bothered to uphold this law they could write out a lot of fines.
You can find many tutorial videos on youtunbe how to install dashcams and route their wires,,,,,,, you of course do not want a wire say to a rear camera going in front of curtain airbags.

I don't know if you can install apps from Google app store on the android head unit. Does it have an internet connection? If it does there is an app that will wirelessly connect to some viofo and thinkware dash cams and record the video stream on your device. I have tried it on my old phone. It detects people in the stream it receives and if sends me notifications when someone gets too close to my car. It is called Birds ai view and I got it of google app store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.unicordia.dc_free.

In terms of dash cams that can be mounted on the outside I think Blackvue has a model as well as Garmin. However Kamcar has a good point. They will get dirty just like your backup camera and you might not notice that they are dirty exactly when you need it the most. Otherwise when you compare 2 identical cameras one mounted outside while the other one on the inside of the car the outside one will give you better night vision given that is not too dirty, which is often the case.

Thanks @kamakar that is a great point I'm sure it would get very dirty quickly being on the outside of the car. I just really hate the idea of that bulky think on my windshield and having to run cables to it. I'm going to look into wifi cameras and use Bixby to turn it on and connect automatically. I have head Bixby can do that I'm not sure yet. Nobody has an android dvr app that can recod two inputs huh?

Dashcams are often smaller then they appear in sales material, there are even a few models we call remote systems in this case dual remote, that have 2 small camera units on a wire from a central unit you can hide where you like in the car.
One such system could be the street guardian SG9663DR.

The actual layout of your car also might have a say what shape of camera are the best, the wedge shaped cameras when installed in the middle top of the windscreen they often come off as just another sensor camera.

You should browse the picture heavy " hoe did you install your camera " thread, to see what people have done with different dashcam models, and real estate challenges on their windscreen.
I am fortunate to have a cheap little car, so my mirror are mounted off the roof, and in front of it are a taller shade area at the top of the windscreen, meaning i can mount on the shade area and only have the lens part of the system peek out below the dotted area, this make the install very stealthy,,,,,,, though not in my case as i often have 3-4-5 cameras there.

My last upload there are way back on page 54

Regarding install, if you want to use the in dash / console 12 V port are pretty easy, in that case often the only thing you might have to take off are the trim plastic on the A pillars.
There are plenty of tutorials on how to install dashcams on youtube, the camera model might not be the same, or the car, but these things are often much the same.

I have done it many many times in my car, so i can install a dashcam blindfolded in 30 minutes.

Regarding rear camera and routing its power & data wire, i will recommend you first drape the wire along the intended route and so how that is in regard to interference on DAB / SAT radio you might use, this is a general problem with rear cameras.
Doing a "dry" run, and finding out you have some issue, you might have better luck routing the wire along the other side.
If you have a smaller car the wire for the rear camera might also be long enough ´so you can route it along the bottom of the car, i often do that in my very small very cheap Suzuki car

My car dident even come with a radio, but it was a WIN CE radio 2 X DIN i put in it in 2012, i want to upgrade to a android unit, but are on a pension and other things keep popping up.

I have a few times seen people use the likes of Waze cameras ASO, but CCTV cameras are generally " tuned" for a different kind of job, but they will of course record stuff, and for sure any camera are better than no camera, and any camera will record what you do with your car, so lane holding - color of intersections ASO, all things where a idiot might make a fraudulent claim against you, that you can then disprove with your camera.
Americans seem to often want to be able to share footage on the spot, that is not needed in little old Denmark, i just submit my footage to the insurance, it is their job to duke it out with the other part, if they need a witness in a court case they can just call me, but it is extremely rare traffic incidents go to court here,,,,,, i have never heard of anyone do that.

PS: I am currently testing the Viofo A119 mini, it is just 2.5 X 1.5 inches, but it is just a front camera, and if you are in a single plate state, and that plate are in the rear, i really think you should get a 2 channel system, CUZ then with oncoming cars your rear camera at least have a shot at capturing the plate on the back of the other car as he pass by.
Granted in the 10 years i have run dashcams, pretty much all i have taken from them of video footage have been from the front camera, but i would still recommend a 2 channel system to most if they are not tied down by fiances.

EU plate warning ( our plates are larger and much more easy to read VS American plates )

Back