G90-7S (A7LA70 chipset + GPS) vs. Mini 0803 (A7LA50 chipset + GPS)

@jokiin @Hilts ,,

So I went to update the firmware. it started to update then it said low battery! I had forgotten it was not plugged in! I went to plug it in as it started the update and it turned off.

ive been unable to turn it back on since.

blue led illuminates, but that's it.

gotta take a shower and get ready to bounce so ill check this thread later, hopefully you cats have some suggestions other than "its broke" ;)

its currently unplugged in hopes the cap in it will die and reset this sucker... :p

@jokiin @Hilts ,,

So I went to update the firmware. it started to update then it said low battery! I had forgotten it was not plugged in! I went to plug it in as it started the update and it turned off.

gotta take a shower and get ready to bounce so ill check this thread later, hopefully you cats have some suggestions other than "its broke" ;)

its currently unplugged in hopes the cap in it will die and reset this sucker... :p

If you already tried to start with the firmware microsd inside and power plugged in, try hard reset.
Hopefully, it's not bricked.

Does it have battery or cap?

Last edited:
Excuse me but I just do not understand.
I know what it is PAL and NTSC just not in the context of the cameras.
If I select in the menu option of PAL the camera will record in 25 FPS? or 50 FPS?
And if i choose NTSC the camera will recored in 30 and 60 FPS?

Excuse me but I just do not understand.
I know what it is PAL and NTSC just not in the context of the cameras.
If I select in the menu option of PAL the camera will record in 25 FPS? or 50 FPS?
And if i choose NTSC the camera will recored in 30 and 60 FPS?
Yes, that's what it looks like.
For PAL, max is 50fps and for NTSC, max is 60fps.
PAL goes from 25 to 50 and NTSC goes from 30 to 60.

Not sure how the frequency of 50hz and 60hz is related with PAL and NTSC fps.

@jokiin @Hilts ,,

It has a low capacity battery not a capacitor.
That doesn't sound good!:( Not a problem I've experienced with my G90.... yet.
The only reset I'm aware of is the small button with an "R" next to it on the bottom right of the G90 (looking from rear). I think it's shown as button 12 in the user manual. Make sure you've got power connected to it first.

If that doesn't work then you'll have to contact one of the FW 'Wizards' on here like @Tobi@s or @reverend (I think reverend is on holiday at the moment though). Tobi@s helped me unbrick my Mini o803 a while back. If you knew how much of a numpty I am with such things (and using a simple calculator too, it seems) you'd realise he'd worked a miracle!!;)

EDIT - It looks like @blackbile had a fairly similar problem and got it fixed -https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...vbr-bitrates-12-18-24mbps-options.6943/page-2 (go to Post No.35 and read on from there).

Last edited by a moderator:
It has a low capacity battery not a capacitor.
That doesn't sound good!:( Not a problem I've experienced with my G90.... yet.
The only reset I'm aware of is the small button with an "R" next to it on the bottom right of the G90 (looking from rear). I think it's shown as button 12 in the user manual. Make sure you've got power connected to it first.

If that doesn't work then you'll have to contact one of the FW 'Wizards' on here like @Tobi@s or @reverend (I think reverend is on holiday at the moment though). Tobi@s helped me unbrick my Mini o803 a while back. If you knew how much of a numpty I am with such things (and using a simple calculator too, it seems) you'd realise he'd worked a miracle!!;)

He mentioned cap so just making sure if it's battery or capacitor.

@Sunny - What do you mean by a hard reset? Have you experienced a similar problem?
I haven't had any issue like that.
Yes, hard reset is just pressing the reset button for certain amount of time, usually around 15 - 30seconds so the camera resets.

If the protocol and pinouts match it could still work, if you can get the data sheet for the one it's meant to use I could look it up, might not be easy to get that info though
I hope they've used something common and not some proprietary format. It is more interesting to have the freedom to modify it the way you want it. The best dashcam is the one you can adapt for your needs.

... two in Section 4 (2304 x 1296) & two more in Section 5 (2560 x 1080)
I couldn't see the coordinates because I was using the movies from the first section.
Downloading the night version from the 5th section solved the problem. I saw the coordinates (displayed on the map) but I couldn't see the speed and the elevation. Do you see them ? Also, I tried to show these coordinates as subtitle track in QuickTime but I failed (or maybe they are not simple embedded subtitles ?).

Last edited:
....Downloading the night version from the 5th section solved the problem. I saw the coordinates (displayed on the map) but I couldn't see the speed and the elevation. Do you see them ? Also, I tried to show these coordinates as subtitle track in QuickTime but I failed (or maybe they are not simple embedded subtitles ?).
I can see speed, location, G-Sensors X, Y & Z, but no elevation. Presumably this module does not log elevation. I have no idea how they are embedded, sorry.

I hope they've used something common and not some proprietary format. It is more interesting to have the freedom to modify it the way you want it. The best dashcam is the one you can adapt for your needs.

The protocols are all standard but the output format varies by vendor, model and chipset, the firmware is written specifically to suit, different GPS, different settings

The protocols are all standard but the output format varies by vendor, model and chipset, the firmware is written specifically to suit, different GPS, different settings
@Tobby & @Dionic90 - I've had a reply back from SZDome regarding the GPS vs. non-GPS G90 with the A7LA70 chipset.

I'm sorry to inform you that the hardware (PCB) of these two versions is slightly different, i.e., you can't add on a GPS module to a non-GPS G90. :( Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I'll amend the first section of this Thread to highlight this!

Last edited:
@Tobby & @Dionic90 - I've had a reply back from SZDome regarding the GPS vs. non-GPS G90 with the A7LA70 chipset.

I'm sorry to inform you that the hardware (PCB) of these two versions is different, i.e., you can't add on a GPS module to a non-GPS G90. :( Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I'll amend the first section of this Thread to highlight this!

Wow, talk about cutting corners, that's a new low. (race to the bottom)

yeah homegirl sent me an email earlier tonight about that. i have other irons to worry about (bricked cam) so didnt really follow up, but i did ask her about my situation with the g90 being bricked.

so there is a different version of the g90 a70 that has an entirely different board in it to use external GPS. am i right about this?

That's bad news! I thought of buying this cam, because I'm not satisfied with the picture quality of my new mini 0803 - cars have to be very close to identify the number plate. And I think the super hd mode is only an interpolation, because I can see absolutely no difference to the fhd mode.

But as long as nobody knows which version is offered by the shops, I will wait until they sell a bundle with gps module...

That's bad news! I thought of buying this cam, because I'm not satisfied with the picture quality of my new mini 0803 - cars have to be very close to identify the number plate.
That's a result of using a wide angle lens without enough resolution, the 0803 has the wider lens but looking at the images there is very little difference between them with them both doing best in different situations. If you want plates to be significantly more readable then you need to make a bigger step than just swap between these two.

And I think the super hd mode is only an interpolation, because I can see absolutely no difference to the fhd mode.
It's the 1080p that is the interpolation from the 1296, the images are the same but with some pixels missing from the 1080p version, actually 40% more pixels in the 1296. It's not a huge difference but in good lighting the higher resolution does gives a smoother and slightly more detailed image since it doesn't have pixels missing, in low lighting neither camera will manage better than 720 whatever resolution you choose since they start combining pixels to increase sensitivity.

@Nigel
In fhd I can't see big differences between both cameras, but if you compare the pictures in super hd mode between g90-7s and mini 0803 on page 1, you will notice a huge difference!
Thats why I think the super hd mode on the G90 is real 2304x1296 and the super hd mode on the mini is only interpolated to this resolution.

Or maybe the lens of the mini is too bad for the high resolution?
But whatever the reason for the bad image quality is - the super hd mode on the mini is rubbish, to be honest.

Last edited:
@Nigel
In fhd I can't see big differences between both cameras, but if you compare the pictures in super hd mode between g90-7s and mini 0803 on page 1, you will notice a huge difference!
Thats why I think the super hd mode on the G90 is real 2304x1296 and the super hd mode on the mini is only interpolated to this resolution.

Or maybe the lens of the mini is too bad for the high resolution?
But whatever the reason for the bad image quality is - the super hd mode on the mini is rubbish, to be honest.
I agree that the image on page 1 with the Mini 0803 in 1296 mode is bad, I'm not sure why, clearly there is an issue with reflections but it looks like there is more of an issue than that, the 1080 image is not as sharp as I would expect either and the night time image shows that there is dirt either on the lens or the glass.

My judgement on 1296 being worthwhile is based on my test of my camera which does show more detail at 1296, but my Mini 0803 images tend to be a lot sharper than the page one 1296 image, for example:

Volvo.jpg

Beach1.jpg

Trees%20%282%29.jpg

Plymouth.jpg

And at night 1296 on the Mini 0803 can be sharp even in moonlight:

Battle.jpg

Moonlight.jpg

Fireworks.jpg

...I'm sorry to inform you that the hardware (PCB) of these two versions is different, i.e., you can't add on a GPS module to a non-GPS G90. :( Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.[/USER]
Don't worry, it's not so bad (at least for me). I use my GPS (99% of the time) to extract my NMEA track and to evaluate the speed, time, fuel consumption ...
Also, the GPS track saved by the G90 is not so easy to extract. For example you saw the speed, I couldn't; and I think there is also the elevation, but is not seen by the player.

Wow, talk about cutting corners, that's a new low. (race to the bottom)
maybe they had to redesign the PCB to multiplex the AV output and the GPS input ?

That's bad news! I thought of buying this cam, because I'm not satisfied with the picture quality of my new mini 0803 - cars have to be very close to identify the number plate.
really ? how close ? check my post::mad:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/g90-a7la70-unfocused-videos.7226/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back