Hard wiring ??

Chad

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
GS9000/F9 (junk)/F900L/V2000GS/V5000GS/Panorama 2s/Mobius
I'm interested in hard wiring my cameras to my rear view mirror 12v supply in an attempt to eliminate some wires. I know the cams that use USB mini plugs for their power source needs to be 5v 1.5A ... But what about barrel type plugs? The plug doesn't say anything and when I opened it up there is no board or resistors ... It's just pos and neg wires going to their prospective places and the glass fuse inline. Theoretically I should just be able to find a 12v lead and solder a barrel plug to it (and a ground) right?

Chad said:
I'm interested in hard wiring my cameras to my rear view mirror 12v supply in an attempt to eliminate some wires. I know the cams that use USB mini plugs for their power source needs to be 5v 1.5A ... But what about barrel type plugs? The plug doesn't say anything and when I opened it up there is no board or resistors ... It's just pos and neg wires going to their prospective places and the glass fuse inline. Theoretically I should just be able to find a 12v lead and solder a barrel plug to it (and a ground) right?

if it's a 12v cam (popular with Korean cams) you could cut the plug and solder your wires, if it's a 5v cam you could add something like this http://dx.com/p/dc-12v-to-dc-5v-convert ... ack-147841 but you would also need to make sure you had a USB cable that was wired appropriately for the cam to auto record etc, a standard USB cable would generally behave like it is connected to a computer and you wouldn't have auto record functionality with most cams

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow I like that...any idea where I could get a usb cable that will work with this...(not sure if these numbers mean anything to you)

07C9C20D-2BF8-41D8-A5A1-1826EB46ABA9-8576-0000087FDFAC077F_zpsbb326a6c.jpg

Chad said:
Wow I like that...any idea where I could get a usb cable that will work with this...(not sure if these numbers mean anything to you)

07C9C20D-2BF8-41D8-A5A1-1826EB46ABA9-8576-0000087FDFAC077F_zpsbb326a6c.jpg

you could always gut the adapter and shorten the cable, they do generate a bit of heat though so you'd still want something around the power supply if going to put it inside your roof lining

a simpler solution is normally just to buy a female lighter socket (like what's shown in this pic http://dx.com/p/cigarette-lighter-socke ... -red-91496 ignore the alligator clips, just mean the socket) to hard wire in behind the dash and run the cable through the interior trims, pretty simple on most vehicles, maybe not suitable as a DIY project to run cables if you have side curtain airbags though

Last edited by a moderator:
I just hardwired my itb 100hd today. I thought I would be able to just tap in to my dome/map light harness but voltage gets cut off after locking the car. I ended up chopping off the cigarette lighter plug and connecting it to an "Add a Circuit" from O'Reilly auto parts. I ran the cable through the headliner and down the airbag-containing A pillar and into the fuse box where I found a fuse that always has voltage. If you do this just make sure you throw a low amperage fuse in (1 or 2 amps) and shrink tube all crimped/soldered connections. I'll probably add a DIY uninterrupted power supply later.

wayneinteressierts said:
I just hardwired my itb 100hd today. I thought I would be able to just tap in to my dome/map light harness but voltage gets cut off after locking the car. I ended up chopping off the cigarette lighter plug and connecting it to an "Add a Circuit" from O'Reilly auto parts. I ran the cable through the headliner and down the airbag-containing A pillar and into the fuse box where I found a fuse that always has voltage. If you do this just make sure you throw a low amperage fuse in (1 or 2 amps) and heat tube all crimped/soldered connections. I'll probably add a DIY uninterrupted power supply later.

All DIY are of use to somebody besides yourself so don't hesitate to throw up how you achieved your result.

P.S. Make & Model of car helps too.

The following items may do it for me:

eBay item 150632081042 $3.50, shipped.

12V to 5V Converter in waterproof package with mountable female USB socket
eBay item 160922660257 $6, shipped.

The length of the cord is not mentioned. The converter has: Over voltage, over current, over temperature, short circuit protection, it auto resets when normalcy is restored. Max 3 Amp (15 Watts)

One concern that I have is whether to wire it to an "always on" circuit, or one powered up only when the car is running (or accessory). I'm not sure if there is a constant drain by the converter even if there is nothing plugged into it that would drain the car battery. If I do order one it will be easy enough to check with a milliammeter.

Attachments

• KGrHqIOKpEE3uB2rhcYBOHo9GWOhg0_12.JPG
    KGrHqIOKpEE3uB2rhcYBOHo9GWOhg0_12.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 231
  • converter.jpg
    converter.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 231
Back