Help installing dashcam with parking mode on 2024 Subaru Crosstrek Premium

gpunique

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone. I am installing a Thinkware U1000 camera with a Powercell 8 backup battery so I need a ACC fuse to tap. I attached a photo of my fuse diagram. The manual is no further help. They say ideally to tap a 20-30 amp fuse, but I only have 1 of those and its always on so that wont work. I have several open slots in the box that are ACC (tested with multimeter) but I have no clue what their ratings are. Any idea how I would find out? I have a multimeter but really dont know how to use it, would that be able to test it?

The guys at Blackboxmycar said a 15 amp can work but isn't the best. They suggested finding out the rating on the empty slots or using the 15 amp fuse called 12 Volt Socket, in the 3rd row

Thanks so much in advance.

PXL_20240507_175839533.jpg

81NXvekxgOL._SL1500_.jpg

UPDATE subaru said not to tap the 12v SOCKET as it also is used for seat heaters. They are getting back to me with more options, but i'm glad i called them.

Hi everyone. I am installing a Thinkware U1000 camera with a Powercell 8 backup battery so I need a ACC fuse to tap. I attached a photo of my fuse diagram. The manual is no further help. They say ideally to tap a 20-30 amp fuse, but I only have 1 of those and its always on so that wont work. I have several open slots in the box that are ACC (tested with multimeter) but I have no clue what their ratings are. Any idea how I would find out? I have a multimeter but really dont know how to use it, would that be able to test it?

The guys at Blackboxmycar said a 15 amp can work but isn't the best. They suggested finding out the rating on the empty slots or using the 15 amp fuse called 12 Volt Socket, in the 3rd row

Thanks so much in advance.
Welcome to the club.
The “safest” way to install a dash cam battery pack is to use a relay.
See the chapter at 12:25;

-Chuck

Welcome to the club.
The “safest” way to install a dash cam battery pack is to use a relay.
See the chapter at 12:25;

-Chuck
wow this sounds much more involved and not sure i have time to do that. Agreed that maybe using a fuse tap isn't the best idea, even though i did that in my last subaru with no issues. Mayeb i should just ditch the battery idea? Without the battery the fuse taps demands are much lower. Do you think tapping fuses without the battery is ok?

wow this sounds much more involved and not sure i have time to do that. Agreed that maybe using a fuse tap isn't the best idea, even though i did that in my last subaru with no issues. Mayeb i should just ditch the battery idea? Without the battery the fuse taps demands are much lower. Do you think tapping fuses without the battery is ok?
If you don't wan't to install the relay to charge the battery pack, you can always go the plug & play route with the PC8's included CLA charger.
You will just be limited to 5 Amps of charging current, instead of the 10-14 Amps of hardwiring.
That would actually be the "safest" but it will increase your charge time, and that might not be compatible with your driving duration.

Back