Intermittent rear camera

@Tetracyclic did you try updating using power from a wall adapter or battery pack? Mine was more stable on non-car power.
Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't tried it, but unfortunately it still didn't work. I tried powering it with a USB battery bank through the GPS module and the USB connection on the camera itself, but both exhibited the exact same issue. Rear camera disconnects every 20 seconds and the firmware transfer behaves exactly the same, flashing up "Send FW to Tx..." for less than a second and then freezing on "Tx Start Update FW...".

Oh that's a shame. Mine definitely went through stages, it'd get progressively worse so a fresh reset would usually give me enough time to get the update done. It does take around 30 seconds or longer to update so I suppose it'd need to stay connected that long at least.

Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't tried it, but unfortunately it still didn't work. I tried powering it with a USB battery bank through the GPS module and the USB connection on the camera itself, but both exhibited the exact same issue. Rear camera disconnects every 20 seconds and the firmware transfer behaves exactly the same, flashing up "Send FW to Tx..." for less than a second and then freezing on "Tx Start Update FW...".

May I ask if your rear camera can work normally in the evening?

I was thinking of getting the A129 plus duo. Is the intermittent issues with the rear camera still an issue with the latest firmware or has this been resolved? I don’t want to waste money if it’s still broken.

My A129 Plus didn't had this problem with intermittent rear camera but I updated it to the latest firmware from 2023.

May I ask if your rear camera can work normally in the evening?

After working intermittently on the first day, the problem was always present thereafter, regardless of time of day.

The UK supplier took the camera back and tested it with a different rear camera and cable and the problem persisted, so it seems like it was related to the front camera. They're sending out a new front and rear camera, after testing that they work without issue.

I was thinking of getting the A129 plus duo. Is the intermittent issues with the rear camera still an issue with the latest firmware or has this been resolved? I don’t want to waste money if it’s still broken.
It appears the new 2023 rear beta 1.8 release fixes the rear camera issue, but you'd need to contact Viofo for that or use one of the links in this thread as they haven't updated the firmware download page yet. Keep in mind not everybody has the issue so there's a good chance it will work fine right out of the box. That said, I never installed the new beta firmware but I did downgrade to v1.7 on the rear and that fixed it for me. It was a simple fix and it's been several weeks and I've not had any further issues. Camera works great now!

It appears the new 2023 rear beta 1.8 release fixes the rear camera issue, but you'd need to contact Viofo for that or use one of the links in this thread as they haven't updated the firmware download page yet. Keep in mind not everybody has the issue so there's a good chance it will work fine right out of the box. That said, I never installed the new beta firmware but I did downgrade to v1.7 on the rear and that fixed it for me. It was a simple fix and it's been several weeks and I've not had any further issues. Camera works great now!
Thanks for the info. I may consider getting it now once it’s on sale again. I have an A119 v3 (hardwired) in the front and a A119 pro (connected to a cigarette port) on the back currently. I really want to get this that way I have both front and back hardwired without having to do any extra work.

Just an update mine's been pretty good since the v1.7 on rear but it did crash on Tuesday here in Sydney when parked outside of my home. It was super hot (39C) on Monday then quite hot on Tuesday too. So I guess that has something to do with it? It was frozen entirely unlike past freezes and needed to power cycle (unplugging rear cam did nothing, and buttons did not beep). I read the A129 has heat protection to let it shutdown but that doesn't sound like a clear shutdown, so maybe it was the SD card overheating?

I have purchased the A129 plus duo when it was on sale a few weeks ago when it was on sale on Amazon. It has been working good until I disconnected the power from the GPS module. Then when I connected it back it started to not detect the rear camera on and off as I was driving and in parking mode. The dash cam is hardwired (Original Viofo HK3). But it has stopped doing it since that day. Both front and rear camera came with version 1.8 out of the box.

Last edited:
I have purchased the A129 plus duo when it was on sale a few weeks ago when it was on sale on Amazon. It has been working good until I disconnected the power from the GPS module. Then when I connected it back it started to not detect the rear camera on and off as I was driving and in parking mode. The dash cam is hardwired. But it has stopped doing it since that day. Both front and rear camera came with version 1.8 out of the box.
Does it not detect it at all or is it connecting, then disconnecting? Check out link below.

It was doing exactly that shown in the video but with the beeping (notifying you that is not recording)
They may have beeping turned off. Try the beta firmware for the rear camera that is linked in the thread.

My A129 Plus didn't had this problem with intermittent rear camera but I updated it to the latest firmware from 2023.
Is this the beta you’re referring to? If not can you post the link. I want to make sure I’m downloading the correct one. Thanks.

Is this the beta you’re referring to? If not can you post the link. I want to make sure I’m downloading the correct one. Thanks.
Not sure. I would download the one from the reddit link. It's direct from Viofo.

Yep cable or plug issues to rear camera are sadly a new point of failure after the multi channel cameras have become available.
I am sort of freaked out it have not yet happened to me as i have after all tested quite a few of these systems since they came about.

Yep cable or plug issues to rear camera are sadly a new point of failure after the multi channel cameras have become available.
I am sort of freaked out it have not yet happened to me as i have after all tested quite a few of these systems since they came about.
Mine was either broke out the box or I crimped during install. But I didn’t have in any tight pinch points. I dealt with it for 2 months and bought a new canoe and it’s worked fine since. And that was last year.

Here is the beta firmware( V1.8_20230201) for the rear camera.
Please update it to see if it can resolve the issue: https://we.tl/t-1d0fsb3j29

Back