Kamkar1 footage.

I think you lost a bit of the stealthy look of your dashcam :p
Did you started your loop recordings?

My car averages about 400km per week; mostly out of town.
My wife's averages about 150km; mostly in town.
Our family car averages about 150km per week; a mixture of road types.

On the subject of capturing number/licence plates, yes, the X seems to be above average.
On 2560 x 1080p the field of view is wider than almost any other cam, yet the apparent size of objects (the effective magnification) is relatively large.

There's an interesting nigh-time screenshot at the end of this post, probably originally posted on the JooVuu X forums. It may be necessary to click on it to enlarge it so the number plate can be adequately seen.
Top is the X-cam, lower left is a Mio 538 (ARO330 sensor), lower right is a Cobra 840 which, due to its very narrow angle and 'zoomed in' image, was previously the best I had found for grabbing plates, albeit at the expense of lack of peripheral vision.
But in the pic below the X outperforms it.

-

I drive minimum 161km per day. My new car has a little under 66,000km in 18 months.

Grabbed some pics today comparing the SG9665GC Vs the x camera, low town speed and low ammount of light.
X cam used 1080/60 and 60 deg FOV as you can see.

Both cameras did allright in town, but a fjew minutes later when i was on the highway they both failed in capturing readable plates on oncomming cars.

Speed: mine 30 - 40 km/h, oncomming traffic 50 - 60 km/h

sglowtown1.jpg

xlowtown1.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sglowtown2.jpg

xlowtown2.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sglowtown3.jpg

xlowtown3.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sglowtown4.jpg

xlowtown4.jpg

sglowtown5.jpg

xlowtown5.jpg

Yes i think in these conditions it might have worked if i did 50 km/h too, but thats allso it, cuz when i did 80 km/h a fjew minutes later both cameras dident capture a single plate.
So we must take it as it is, and wait for the tech to mature and the next level dashcams to get to marked.

Just proof that low light is not pitch black or anyway near that, on a really grey day in mid summer all dashcams will have a fight on ther hands if you only look at plate capture.

Thats just the way it is right now.

besides i dont really bother with the plates in day to day use, main thing is the camera dokument i dont do anything stupid, and that it can do even in the light off my headlights.
What other ppl then do is up to them, as long as they dont do a hit and run on me, but i would not recomend that cuz that would send me into "gumshoe" mode and thats followed by Judge Dredd mode.

It would be unfair to say the X cam is slow to ajust itself to the lighting conditions, just have a look at this short video of me passing some oncomming "shades".
I am doing 78 km/h and as usioal the oncomming "shades" is at that speed too in spite of it beeing faster than allowed for a "shade"

Okay i got my mobius attached under a x camera and whent for a drive, for some reason the mobius do not like that and so it was a little on / off what it recorded.
But i managed to find 2 files on each camera to compare.
The x cam is at 1080/60, i forgot to change that to 30 FPS, other than that i have not tweaked anything on either camera in regard to IQ.
Bith cameras are offcourse running MAX bitrate.

In all fairness i should say the lens on the mobius have been on and off a fjew times while i have owned it, but as it sit now i dont think its far from the sweet spot.

As you will see in the daytime clip, when i get in between those trees it is murder on the IQ for both cameras, its like LEGO take over making the footage :D
But i think its fair to ask of dashcams that they can handle this too ( we are asking a lot of those little cameras )
After that i pass under the railway bridge at Hinnerup ( town ) and get into a more normal situation for most of us town dwellers.

https://mega.nz/#!a4AEFSRB!3IqytJpLrTc_ta4WjBKSOMerriJsfhSTuybmBr7G1UU
https://mega.nz/#!Cow1hYRT!F2IsWAHw6_pDXCKNaGPt2-Dtrfyq2GSsGCPCIUKUeKY

https://mega.nz/#!WpI2CBQI!Dl23JiRcKTsy_6j_uxvxU7ATGpCuhtZZT4mSExRLgtk
https://mega.nz/#!uxwiACBB!2fgrnOvXEcwksrjdvra148PI43SlgJrYfMuYyjcwDOE

Hi, @kamkar1, which version of Moby do you have?

It is the old "B" kit, both cameras are set to widest FOV.

I will try to redo this and have the x cam set to 1080/30 FPS, maybe only having to spread the bitrate over 30 FPS will give a less blocky image in those hard to deal with situations.

It is the old "B" kit, both cameras are set to widest FOV.

I will try to redo this and have the x cam set to 1080/30 FPS, maybe only having to spread the bitrate over 30 FPS will give a less blocky image in those hard to deal with situations.

Could it be that 1080p60 is too much for your memory card? If the X is writing 18mbps when set to 30fps maybe it's trying to write 36mbps when set to 60fps. I could imagine that would be pushing a regular class 10 (10MB/s) micro sd to the limit. Do you have a card you can try which will write at 20MB/s (and probably read at 40MB/s)?

I'm not getting noticeable blockiness using 2560 x 1080p / 30fps and widest fov. I've been using a Transcend Premium which has 20+MB/s write and 40+MB/s read speed and recently changed to a Samsung Evo with similar read and write speed.

Its a PNY U3 card in it 85MB/s or faster, i cant see that beeing the problem, its the same with the other camera i have for refrence it just have a U1 kingston card inside.

Anyway a sdxc card even just U1 should be plenty to suport the 20 megabit bitrate, thats still less than 5 megabytes every second needing to be written to the SD card.

This 3 mintues files i have is just about 21 mbit avg bitrate ( beta firmware ) and they are 460MB in size, thats not many megabytes needing to be written every second to the SD card.

Hi Kamkar1,

I can hear some crackling on the jvx but what's this high pitch on the mobius? Do you always have that?

The crackling on the x camera is a problem we are wrestling with, the high pitched sound on the mobius you mention i have not noticed ( normally i have the microfone on the cameras set to off )
I was using one of the x camera power supplies to power the mobius for the recordings.
Will have to see if i can remember to power the mobius VIA my USB power bank on the next ride, or at least switch the power supplies around.

Just had a listen and sure enuff the mobius do record a high pitched sound, just like my SG9665GC allso do, but in that case i was sure it was my 5 port charger that gave out that noise.
Now i am thinking it might be a problem thruout my car.
I am reinventing my power grid in the car ( for dashcams ) the "old" 5 port charger will not be used to power dashcams soon, it will be a charger for my tablet and phone, and then i have 3 spare ports for other stuff.

I know about the crackling on the jvx, I'm following the thread on joovuu.com. I have a jvx and it also makes that sound, haven't done many tests yet, but it appears to be there when accelerating. will try to rev my engine at a stand-still, see if that has an impact on the cam & sound

Still looking for the perfect mount. The sticky mount from joovuu is too big, tried a modified helmet mount but it's hard to find a good stealthy location. I drive a Volvo with that big thing behind my mirror and there is not 1 flat area on it. I did find a little gap between parts of it and I managed to use the standard flat jvx mount but now I have a small piece of the sensors thing in my image.

I have 2 more clips in the mobius Vs x cam comparison, this is bright daylight, but i will be passing thry some of the most problematic stuff you can trow at any camera.
I allso remembered to set the x cam to 1080/30 so its more apples Vs apples this time around.

The mobius recording is a fjew seconds ahead of the x camera recording, i recomend pausing it at the concrete guardrail to the right and then start it when the x cam get to there.

https://mega.nz/#!CwAgDA4D!1cLLlwEZKaJ-ncdgcwQPPusV2krL3-tIzi_QjkSmb94

https://mega.nz/#!Wk4k2JSZ!6xedioPcl852SyJZSLDxSpKKS8O_P262UZyw-rWczl0

Both cameras are trown in at the deep end, meaning dashbord refelctions galore, and a not cleaned for the ocation windscreen, translating to pretty regular circumstances for a recording.

The mobius is mounted on ( below ) the x camera so angle should be pretty much the same.

My own observations:
Both trow a lego fit in between the trees, too much for them to handle in the footage.
Mobius is most color true
Both catch any plate on oncomming cars i bet ( not verified ) offcourse not when they are in "lego" mode in between the trees.

I do think the mobius do diplay its 2 years or so of constant firmware development, if the x cam do the same i am sure it will become much better too.

Last edited:
I totally don't understand the pixelation you are getting when driving between those trees. I've never experienced that with any of my Mobius cameras in similar (or any other circumstances). Do you have the Mobius set to "High Data Rate"?

Offcourse high is all that matter :) the SG9665 allso trow a fit not not to the same degree as the mobius and x cameras.
The mobius 3 minute file is 414MB and the avg bitrate is 18207kbps - the x cam is 460MB and 21057 kbps on average ( bitrate via windows 10 proberties on file )
I assume its the ammount of reflections in my windscreen, in a way it allmost double the ammount of things the camera have to keep track off.

Just been over the footage with a fine toot coam, and this is the screen grabs i have gotten, they are all made with the same zoom level in registrator viewer ( 8 clicks of the mouse wheel )
Beside the zoom on the sign, thats zoom to fit screen, but due to lens they are not quite the same offcourse.

X cam on top as this is the x cam footage thread.

x11.jpg

m1.jpg

x21.jpg

m2.jpg

x31.jpg

m3.jpg

x41.jpg

m4.jpg

x51.jpg

m5.jpg

x5z1.jpg

m5z.jpg

x61.jpg

m6.jpg

Last edited:
I realize that this is basically a JooVuu-X thread but I am very puzzled by your pixelated Mobius results when comparing the two. I just don't ever get that, even under similar challenging lighting conditions with trees and bright shadows.

REC_0002.MOV---46-second.jpg

46second.png

46zoom2.jpg

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Street Guardian USA JooVuu 30
JooVuu JooVuu 6
kamkar JooVuu 253
Back
Top Bottom