Larger sized microSD Cards for Thinkware U1000 ?

this article confused me https://www.blackboxmycar.com/blogs/news/best-sd-cards-for-4k-dash-cams

Got a Thinkware U1000 Dual Channel dash cam? Because the U1000 offers 4K in the front camera and 2K in the rear camera, you can opt for a UHS Class 3 SD card, like the Samsung Evo Plus. But be sure not to use a UHS-I U3 card in a Full HD dash cam - the main board may not be designed to process faster than Class 10 or UHS-1 card and the dash cam may heat up excessively.
That link is out of date by 2.5 years being January 2020. With semiconductors things move on. I have been using for the last 9 months the following specification memory card without any problems:

SanDisk Extreme 512GB microSDXC Memory Card + SD Adapter with A2 App Performance + Rescue Pro Deluxe, up to 160MB/s, Class 10, UHS-I, U3, V30.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07P7M6K35

No matter how the manufacturer labels it, Pro or otherwise. It is the specification that matters.
A2 App Performance, up to 160MB/s, Class 10, UHS-I, U3, V30

No matter how the manufacturer labels it, Pro or otherwise. It is the specification that matters.
A2 App Performance, up to 160MB/s, Class 10, UHS-I, U3, V30

Hiya. Just wondering how the sandisk card is holding up so far?

I am tempted to buy it instead of the 128 gb thinkware micro sd card for my f200 pro.

I called thinkware today and they told me that the only reason why the max. capacity of the micro sd card is set at 128 gb is because they didn't test any higher. They also said that if I do use any non - thinkware micro sd cards and something happens to the dashcam it would void the warranty.

the only thing thats holding me back from purchasing non - thinkware brand micro sd cards is their likelihood of failure over time. The thinkware micro sd cards are known to be unreadable after about a year, and so just checking to see if the sandisk is holding out any longer than that.

Cheers

Followup on the 512 EVO
A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that the camera was going into a reboot loop on the way home from work.
Pressed and held the Record button to reformat the card, that worked for about 5 minutes.
Ended up pulling it and replacing it with a Sandisk 256 high endurance.
The 512 EVO had only about 10,000 miles of drive time on it.
2nd followup on this card.
Wife's 512 EVO failed last week. Less than 5,000 miles on the vehicle, about 1 year.
That was a fair amount of time more than I got out of mine (less than 6 months), but I also have not installed her rear-view camera yet, so she's only hitting the card with rewrites on the main camera.
When mine failed, the camera was going through a continuous reboot. When hers failed, it kept repeating that there was an SD card error and needed to be formatted.
The 512 went in the bin and she now has a 128gb (Green/White) EVO.

So far, no issues on the Sandisk 256 that I put in my camera, I'm at about the same age, and about 30% more miles than I was at when the 512 EVO failed.

I had to return my camera as it was faulty and the new one only came with a 32gb card (instead of the 64 it came with when I bought it), so I went browsing armed with the info on this thread.
I ended up on the Thinkware website and noticed their 256GB card is listed as compatible with the U1000 even though the specs on the camera page still say a maximum of 128GB!
I had some birthday money to use up so bought one of their 256GB cards and its been working fine in my new camera for over a week now.
Yes, I know they are really expensive, but I thought I'd treat myself :)

Just updating this thread for interested users of the U1000. I am using the following latest 512GB SanDisk extreme pro

It works perfectly as expectedView attachment 56525
Hi, I just thought of replying as Peter helped me go ahead with 512gb card for Thinkware U1000. Samsung Pro Plus worked, please see attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221018-192701_THINKWARE CLOUD.jpg
    Screenshot_20221018-192701_THINKWARE CLOUD.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 14
Long time lurker - joined to give something back.

I have been using 512Gb cards: Sandisk Extreme & Sandisk Extreme Pro without issues.

I tried a SanDisk Extreme Pro 1Tb A2, Class 10, UHS-I, U3, V30 but no success.
Full format with the official SD industry forum formatter app on windows.
The U1000 just repeated "memory card needs formatting" (or similar message) 3 times and then errored out, rebooted and repeated the message. WiFi didn't activate so could not use the app to format the card in-camera. U1000 is on the xx.xx.05 firmware, not xx.xx.06 as have heard of issues with the radar module on the 06 version.
U1000 is fine with 512Gb cards using the official SD group formatting app.

Of note, the pre-defined memory allocation priorities e.g continuous, parking etc will have a lot of unused reserved space on larger cards. Would prefer the option of 'overwrite oldest unless category ticked as reserved' but that has been discussed already.

I had issues with my Thinkware card after formatting it. I formatted it on my PC using various methods but it still kept coming up with the "memory card needs formatting" message.
I got in touch with Thinkware support here in the UK and I was told to insert the card into the camera, make sure it was powered on, then hold the manual record button for over 10 seconds, then the card would be formatted by the camera. This worked and the card has worked faultlessly ever since.

eccles41 - tried your suggestion of holding the manual record button. It does initiate the format process but the format still failed with the same message as above.

Unless we get into messing with block sizes and other such stuff, I guess 512Gb is the largest size the U1000 can support. Nevertheless, it's still better than the 128Gb maximum that Thinkware state.

The SanDisk High Endurance can ‘only’ do 100mb a second. But people seen okay with the U1000 (4K 30fps front 2k 30fps rear)?

It seems like a great price/performance option - the 256gb is about £33-34 currently.

There’s a ‘Max Endurance’ option too which is £60, but I don’t want to spend that much.

Last edited:
I bought and installed the high endurance 256gb so hopefully it'll work fine...

Just updating this thread for interested users of the U1000. I am using the following latest 512GB SanDisk extreme pro

It works perfectly as expectedView attachment 56525
How long did this one work for you? Any problems?

I've been running a 512 San Disk with no issues with my U1000. With my Q800 I am told to run the Samsung Pro Endurance 128gb but I noticed that there was in issue with that car's battery. When it goes low the Q800 will continually say to format the card.
If you have memory issues, check your battery. Swing by an autoparts store and they can test it. I now don't let the cam discharge my battery lower than 12.1.

I've been running a 512 San Disk with no issues with my U1000. With my Q800 I am told to run the Samsung Pro Endurance 128gb but I noticed that there was in issue with that car's battery. When it goes low the Q800 will continually say to format the card.
If you have memory issues, check your battery. Swing by an autoparts store and they can test it. I now don't let the cam discharge my battery lower than 12.1.
Thanks mate. I'm also installing a battery pack, so that would not be a problem. Nevertheless, it's good to know that the battery can cause problems to the card.

I have two 256gb cards. Every few months I swap them over and have a browse of some of the footage. I haven't formatted either of them since installation as they are both working fine. Both cards are performing faultlessly one year in. This includes cold weather, hot summer weather. My camera was swapped into my new car last April, and everything is fine.

I have two 256gb cards. Every few months I swap them over and have a browse of some of the footage. I haven't formatted either of them since installation as they are both working fine. Both cards are performing faultlessly one year in. This includes cold weather, hot summer weather. My camera was swapped into my new car last April, and everything is fine.
What cards are you using?

Back