led lite/light bar

tabetha

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed today that my LED bar was flashing even when the camera is recording in continuous recording mode ie whilst driving, I was stopped with key still in ignition, checked on phone, then turned light OFF on phone all was ok, ie it went off in normal driving mode and stayed off in parked mode, it is recording perfect, and other wise works faultlessly.
I have tried turning cam off then ignition on turns it back on again.
Has any body got any idea about this or maybe had this before ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, oddly enough so as not to draw attention at night I was going to turn lightbar off any way, but occasionally I park where I would like to put it on.
Thanks,

LED lights are almost always regulated through "pulse width modulation" or "PWM". What that means it the LED is being turned on and off at a very high rate of speed. Your cam is taking single pics at a high rate of speed too, and when those two speeds match, an illuminated LED can appear to be off during the time they coincide, then show up as 'on' until they coincide again. Look at car cam vids and you will see the effect with new car brake and tail-lights, newer traffic lights, and even some streetlights.

There's not much you can do about this anomaly unless you switch to incandescent lighting, but playing with the cam's frame-rate and 50/60Hz setting may improve it a little, or may make it worse.

Phil

I think they are referring to the LED lights on the front of the dashcam. If so when they are ON they are on for all driving / parking recording. When OFF they won't come on at all. They don't just operate for parking mode.

Hope that clears it up!

Just re-read your question and it sounds like they are not staying OFF when you turn them off with the phone app. Can you make sure you're 'Exiting' out of the App and not just leaving it running in the background. I'm wondering if it's just not saving the setting.

Hi Maddog1974,
The light bar does turn off when switched off, I just assumed as the different patterns denoted the parking mode that it would only be lit when in parking mode, I find it odd that the light bar stays lit even when driving but I can only think I have just never noticed it before, thank you very much for your reply it is very much appreciated. I looked at some footage last night and was amazed at how good the night mode is, really glad I bought this cam, just about to buy a single front cam thinkware of course I will be on your site later in the month, thanks again for your help,
regards
ps Sawmaster, please accept my appologies if I didn't make myself as clear as I should have, but thanks for taking the time to reply any way,
regards

Last edited:
@Maddog1974
Thanks for clearing thus up and for the good answers. The helpful spirit of DCT lives on!

Phil

Back