Mobile hotspot function with LTE module

DJ70

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR900X Plus-2CH, DR900S-2CH.
Having recently set up this new dashcam I'm unable to get the mobile hotspot function to work. I've been told it won't with the CM100 connected, yet a BlackVue video clearly contradicts that.

Am I missing something?

BlackVue X 000027.png

The CM100LTE connectivity module itself is not a Wi-Fi hotspot and thus has no direct Wi-Fi connectivity.

The DR900X Plus (most X Plus series) dash cameras have firmware that now allows multiple devices (up to 5) to connect to the dash camera's Wi-Fi network. The DR900X Plus will be the Wi-Fi hotspot in this setup and all of its Wi-Fi clients (up to 5) will have access to the internet through the DR900X Plus which is connecting to the internet via the CM100LTE connectivity device.

Last edited:
I got the answer I required shortly after posting but pressure of work meant I only now have chance to login here.

It seems that the SIM which comes with the CM100 won't allow the hotspot function, though other SIMs from different operators (at higher cost) will.

Issue solved:)

Note: this applies to UK. Other countries may have different policies.

I got the answer I required shortly after posting but pressure of work meant I only now have chance to login here.

It seems that the SIM which comes with the CM100 won't allow the hotspot function, though other SIMs from different operators (at higher cost) will.

Issue solved:)

Note: this applies to UK. Other countries may have different policies.
I'm a bit confused by your findings.

On the BlackVue website, it states that the CM100LTE for North America (KRHQA-CM100GLTE-NA) is the only one the BlackVue branded SIM card is compatible with at this time. With your location being in the UK, you should be using the CM100LTE for Europe (KRHQA-CM100GLTE-GL). I also see no limitation statement for the number Wi-Fi clients when using the BlackVue branded SIM card (again only for North America). I'll have to submit a question to my Pittasoft contacts to see if their website needs updating along with my current understanding of how this all works.

I checked with Pittasoft support. BlackVue UK is Pittasoft's sole BlackVue distributor in the UK and they manage all sellers/installers in the UK. I confirmed that what is being sold by Pittasoft as the "BlackVue SIM Card" is solely a product for North America and can only be used with BlackVue LTE dash cameras or CM100LTE units for use in North America. If the CM100LTE for UK use was delivered with a SIM card, it was likely a SIM card from a cellular carrier in the UK and it was not the "BlackVue SIM Card".

Pittasoft support confirmed that there is no support in the CM100LTE's connection to the DR900X Plus to inform the DR900X Plus to reduce the max number of Wi-Fi clients below the max number of 5 Wi-Fi clients. Up to five Wi-Fi clients should be able to connect to the DR900X Plus. Having another BlackVue dash camera as a Wi-Fi client of another BlackVue dash camera is not supported. If there's a SIM card / cellular carrier restriction on the number of active clients using the LTE data connection, that must be a specific restriction imposed by that UK cellular carrier for that SIM card and/or the monthly plan associated with that SIM card.

I'm aware of the UK distributor, in fact that's who gave me my info. Obviously I am using the correct LTE for my location.

I don't know why you refer to the number of clients, that was never an issue or even mentioned in my OP, nor the "BlackVue SIM card". The SIM supplied as part of the package in UK is from Vodafone and it appears that it's that which is restricting the hotspot function.
I'm currently in touch with Vodafone on the matter. Hopefully they will explain, and maybe offer an alternative.
--

You mentioned that the SIM card that came with the CM100LTE had limitations. The BlackVue UK distributor may have added a SIM card (Vodafone) to your bundle when you purchased it, but I wanted to make clear to others reading this thread that the SIM card you're using could not be the "BlackVue SIM" card because you're located in the UK.

Hotspot "doesn't work" issues can fall into two categories: 1) Cannot connect over Wi-Fi/limit Wi-Fi client count or 2) Can't access the internet once connected to Wi-Fi.

I was trying to make clear to others reading this thread, that reason 1 should not be part of your issue. It appears your hotspot connectivity issue is related to reason 2 and it's based on a limitation Vodafone may have placed on the SIM and/or account type associated with that SIM card.

I'm glad the restriction has been identified and I hope Vodafone offers a solution to your situation.

I did resolve it, by switching to another mobile operator ;)

So, do I understand this correctly, the UK version supplied with a vodafone card supplies wifi to the unit it is connected to, ie no hot spot, hot spot would be available if you use another providers sim.

Well, could you just not power say an ee wifi dongle off the USB port and hot spot two units, say a 590X rear 750s in the front

Sorry to reignite an old thread, but I thought it was important to give correct information to UK buyers.

The information given above is incorrect.
The UK version of the CM100LTE that comes with a Vodafone SIM provides LTE/Cloud support the the Blackvue X series of dashcams.

The DR900X and X Plus got firmware updates that allowed the dashcam itself to be used as a WiFi hotspot, therefore allowing connected devices to use the LTE connection to connect to the internet.

There is NO issue with this or restriction with the UK version of the LTE module or supplied Vodafone Smart SIM/V-SIM.

You simply connect and set up the LTE module as normal - then connect any WiFi device to the camera 's WiFi using the camera's WiFi name and password (as you would with your phone when setting up the device).
That's it - the connected devices then piggybacks on the LTE connection.

I have done this with multiple UK LTE modules (with the supplied Vodafone SIM on £4/month contract - 40GB) and X-series dashcams, with passengers able to use the dashcam's internet connection through WiFi when travelling in the vehicle.

The above OP suggests that they could not get this to work in their own, but I can confirm that there is NO restriction or limitation at all with the LTE module or the SIM, as they have no bearing on what device is connected via the camera's WiFi, as everything runs through the camera to the LTE, so the LTE and SIM have no knowledge of the number of connected devices.
The dashcam acts as an LTE router.

Sorry to reignite an old thread, but I thought it was important to give correct information to UK buyers.

The information given above is incorrect.
The UK version of the CM100LTE that comes with a Vodafone SIM provides LTE/Cloud support the the Blackvue X series of dashcams.

The DR900X and X Plus got firmware updates that allowed the dashcam itself to be used as a WiFi hotspot, therefore allowing connected devices to use the LTE connection to connect to the internet.

There is NO issue with this or restriction with the UK version of the LTE module or supplied Vodafone Smart SIM/V-SIM.

You simply connect and set up the LTE module as normal - then connect any WiFi device to the camera 's WiFi using the camera's WiFi name and password (as you would with your phone when setting up the device).
That's it - the connected devices then piggybacks on the LTE connection.

I have done this with multiple UK LTE modules (with the supplied Vodafone SIM on £4/month contract - 40GB) and X-series dashcams, with passengers able to use the dashcam's internet connection through WiFi when travelling in the vehicle.

The above OP suggests that they could not get this to work in their own, but I can confirm that there is NO restriction or limitation at all with the LTE module or the SIM, as they have no bearing on what device is connected via the camera's WiFi, as everything runs through the camera to the LTE, so the LTE and SIM have no knowledge of the number of connected devices.
The dashcam acts as an LTE router.

I feel it's important to point out to everyone that the information I gave was correct based on my personal experience.

Others may have different experiences but that doesn't mean they are the only ones correct.

<Here endeth the lesson>

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B DR900X Plus Series 5
Back