Mobile Hotspot

What I don't understand is since my phone and the app is paired with the cam, why can't I just leverage that connection to transfer to the cloud via the app on the phone using my phone's data plan? I thought Nexar or someone streams to the phone then to the cloud via the phone?

Kannina 2.0, where in the firmware can I turn off the flashing white light that the device puts out?

System > LED.

I’m at the point where I can set up a Youtube place to store videos, so that we can have some videos for our kids to look see, when we do our over-the-road trips. I do have a question about video resolution. It appears that there are two choices (??), what is called quickplay and what is called high resolution. Kannina, you posted those video clips. They were good. Which resolution were they in? Is quickplay a compression thing or does it seriously lower resolution?

Quickplay, as far as I know, is a low-res, small filesize option that you can pick so you can get it on your phone for viewing faster. Don't think you can save it directly.

When you download from the cam or cloud, or copy from the SD card, you get the full res version.

YT will compress it when you upload it. Dont know exactly what it does, but I know it crunches it down somewhat. Don't know if it's user controllable or anything, I've never messed with it much. I just hit upload on a full-res video and let YT do whatever it does.

Well, I was too hasty in thinking that covering the flashing red security light on my dashboard solved the false motion detection notifications when my car is in my garage. That worked for nighttime. What I’ve learned on the past two mornings is, that when the sun is coming up and gradually making my garage lighter (I have one window) I get about one motion detection notification every minute. I finally had to turn off motion detection notifications. Sigh…

Well, I was too hasty in thinking that covering the flashing red security light on my dashboard solved the false motion detection notifications when my car is in my garage. That worked for nighttime. What I’ve learned on the past two mornings is, that when the sun is coming up and gradually making my garage lighter (I have one window) I get about one motion detection notification every minute. I finally had to turn off motion detection notifications. Sigh…

I have had moving shadows, especially shadows with sharp angles moving through their FOV, trigger motion detection with the dashcam and my security cams.

I've always had a CPL filter on my dashcam as well, don't know if that has any effect.

No windows in my garage either.

I’ve got the Blackvue CPL on order, due tomorrow I think. It might help. I’ll report back.

Did you make any changes to the brightness setting on the camera when you went to the filter?

I’ve got the Blackvue CPL on order, due tomorrow I think. It might help. I’ll report back.

Did you make any changes to the brightness setting on the camera when you went to the filter?

Bumped the brightness up one notch, yes.

Well, I’m crawling forward on my youtube project. Kannina, your example videos are in 4K. I got my test video uploaded into my youtube channel, and then youtube began “processing HD”. And it is going on, and on, and on, well over a half hour. And this is a one minute clip! Did you experience this sort of thing when your videos uploaded?

Another problem is video quality at the end of the processing. It’s terrible, even though I did the transfer in 4K resolution. It looks more like 360p. Have you ever encountered this sort of problem?

Last edited:

The Blackvue CPL caused purple flares when sun hits it certain ways, I am likely ditching the CPL.

Well, I’m crawling forward on my youtube project. Kannina, your example videos are in 4K. I got my test video uploaded into my youtube channel, and then youtube began “processing HD”. And it is going on, and on, and on, well over a half hour. And this is a one minute clip! Did you experience this sort of thing when your videos uploaded?

Another problem is video quality at the end of the processing. It’s terrible, even though I did the transfer in 4K resolution. It looks more like 360p. Have you ever encountered this sort of problem?

Wow. No, not at all. Maybe a minute or so, give or take, to upload for me.

I did nothing as far as messing with upload settings. Just let it do its thing and got what you saw.

Afraid I won't be much help to you with YT.

Bummer.

This is so strange. The youtube upload and HD processing times are a bother. The video quality, OTOH, is a serious problem. I know that the problem isn’t with the camera: I download the video from the camera to the Blackvue app on the iPad. From there I move the clip to a file in the IOS File app. From there I upload it to youtube. In both the Blacuvue app file and the IOS File app I can view it and see that the video quality is correct. I also tried copying the file from the Blacuvue app to my Photos app and uploading it to youtube from there. And the video quality is fine when viewed from Photos. I even tried uploading a clip directly from the camera SD card into my ipad via an SD card adapter that connects to my ipad via the USB-C port. In all cases the video quality post youtube processing is terrible.

The only other thing I can think of is to try performing the operation on a Mac. Did you use a computer or a tablet for your youtube videos?

I’m ready to give up and move on. All of my family members use Apple products and it’s easy to put video clips into a shared folder within Photos and have the iCloud handle the rest. This is simple and I’ve tested it out and it works great with no loss of video quality. But I just hate to give up on problems like what I’m having with youtube.

On the YouTube thing I've found their processing time varies, and the higher the resolution the longer it takes. This seems to be related to their system load but your ISP connection matters too; mine got 'throttled' recently and it took an hour to do what usually takes a few minutes :mad: Once your vid is published, it begins as low-res and it may take some time to have high-res available. It will not usually default to high-res viewing until it's gotten several views, and even then it may not do it's best until you click on the vid's "settings" button and select the highest resolution option. Channel popularity plays a role here; those who have the most views get top resolution almost instantly while the rest of us don't. And their added compression means that whatever you see it will not be as good as viewing the raw file is.

If you expect better from "Alphabet-Google-YouTube" you'll be disappointed.

Phil

The only other thing I can think of is to try performing the operation on a Mac. Did you use a computer or a tablet for your youtube videos?

I'm all PC and Windows 10. Maybe that's the difference. Don't know much about Apple stuff at all. I do have an iPad, but that's only for flying.

On the YouTube thing I've found their processing time varies, and the higher the resolution the longer it takes. This seems to be related to their system load but your ISP connection matters too; mine got 'throttled' recently and it took an hour to do what usually takes a few minutes :mad: Once your vid is published, it begins as low-res and it may take some time to have high-res available. It will not usually default to high-res viewing until it's gotten several views, and even then it may not do it's best until you click on the vid's "settings" button and select the highest resolution option. Channel popularity plays a role here; those who have the most views get top resolution almost instantly while the rest of us don't. And their added compression means that whatever you see it will not be as good as viewing the raw file is.

If you expect better from "Alphabet-Google-YouTube" you'll be disappointed.

Phil

Wow, I didn’t know any of this. I generally like youtube because of the wealth of specific content - eg. how to diagnose a faulty lawn irrigation valve from a guy with a strong Russian accent who’s living in Toronto. I mean, it doesn’t get much better than that for the homeowner, no? I’ve often thought of having a subscription to youtube, to avoid the endless commercials. Do you suppose that a subscription would give me decent resolution on my videos?

Not sure what the "premium" services do, but I do spend a lot of time learning things on YT. It's basically replaced my TV :cool: I've heard that by fast-forwarding through an entire vid you can then go back to 'start' and no commercials will appear but i haven't tried it. I just grab the mouse and wait till the "Skip ads" button appears on the screen then click it as fast as possible.

Phil

Not sure what the "premium" services do, but I do spend a lot of time learning things on YT. It's basically replaced my TV :cool: I've heard that by fast-forwarding through an entire vid you can then go back to 'start' and no commercials will appear but i haven't tried it. I just grab the mouse and wait till the "Skip ads" button appears on the screen then click it as fast as possible.

Phil

I use ADBlock Plus in my FireFox browser. No commercials, no issues.

I’m done with youtube for my dashcam videos, as I can’t find a solution to my video quality problem. With the Apple stuff, I can join the clips that I want to use, using iMovies, put them into a Shared Albums album within the Photos app, and send a link to whomever I want. It is super fast, there is absolutely no degradation in video quality, my family all has Apple stuff. It’s idiot-proof, which is what I suppose I need.

Now a new thing: I have the audio set to the factory default: ON. But often the videos don’t have any audio, and I see in banner at the bottom of the video - MIC OFF/HDR. I want the audio to be on, and I can’t find any setting. Can anybody help me out?

Edit: Proximity Sensor. Case closed.

Last edited:
Edit: Proximity Sensor. Case closed.

That's the real reason why I keep the prox sensor on manual recording, so I don't accidentally turn the sound recording off...

So, why do you put it on manual recording rather than just turn it off?

So, why do you put it on manual recording rather than just turn it off?
Never know when that "Hold my beer..." moment arrives and I juuuust might want that manual recording...

Back