Mobius dash cam problem

Using the mSetup utility it should be fine formatting the card in the camera. That's the routine method. Generally speaking, if there is some problem with the card and you want to do a low level full overwrite formatting like I referred to previously, you would need to use a dedicated formatting tool. Tools such as SD Memory Card Formatter can also be used to do a quick format in FAT32 or exFAT suitable for the camera.

Using the mSetup utility it should be fine formatting the card in the camera. That's the routine method. Generally speaking, if there is some problem with the card and you want to do a low level full overwrite formatting like I referred to previously, you would need to use a dedicated formatting tool. Tools such as SD Memory Card Formatter can also be used to do a quick format in FAT32 or exFAT suitable for the camera.
Thanks again. Hopefully, I won't need to format the cards again unless there's another problem.
It is possible that I might want to make sure the date and time are set correctly at some time in the future, though, but I assume that I can do that using the mSetup utility, presumably in camera.
I'll see how things go tomorrow, having tried them out again.

Yes, you would set the date and time in the camera using mSetup. With the camera connected click yes on "Sync Date/Time" in mSetup and it will set the cam using the information from the computer after you press "Set Parameters".

Yes, you would set the date and time in the camera using mSetup. With the camera connected click yes on "Sync Date/Time" in mSetup and it will set the cam using the information from the computer after you press "Set Parameters".
Great. Thanks for your advice. It's good to know where to come when in need!

I should just like to add that, having followed all the helpful advice on here, I'm pleased to see that both cameras recorded properly and (placing each SD card in the computer, rather than in camera) the recordings worked properly, no skipping.
The only little gripe is that whilst one of them retained the set date (yesterday) the other one showed the date as 1.1.2012. Still, I can live with that. However, I have placed the SD card with the correct date into the front camera and the other in the rear camera (as that is less important).
Thanks again for the help.

The only little gripe is that whilst one of them retained the set date (yesterday) the other one showed the date as 1.1.2012.

If the camera is not retaining the date it likely means that the super-capacitor has failed. If that is in fact the case, the camera will also fail to save the last recorded file upon shut down which could be an issue if you were to be in a traffic accident and lose power to the camera. You should check to confirm this.

If the camera is not retaining the date it likely means that the super-capacitor has failed. If that is in fact the case, the camera will also fail to save the last recorded file upon shut down which could be an issue if you were to be in a traffic accident and lose power to the camera. You should check to confirm this.
Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I'll wait until the next time we're out and make a mental note of exactly what is behind us when we switch off the engine. That should, or should not, be visible on the recording. Best to do that at home, I think, as I can then take the card to the computer and check it.
If it is the capacitor, at least they are not very expensive - if I can still obtain them.
Better still, perhaps I can send for one anyway and be prepared.

Just a brief follow-up. Although both cameras are now working perfectly - and thanks for all your help - one of them still fails to remember the date/time. I have now sent for another capacitor, assuming that is where the problem lies.

Just a brief follow-up. Although both cameras are now working perfectly - and thanks for all your help - one of them still fails to remember the date/time. I have now sent for another capacitor, assuming that is where the problem lies.

As I mentioned in my last post, the camera will fail to save the last clip if the super-capacitor has failed. Did you check for that as suggested?

As I mentioned in my last post, the camera will fail to save the last clip if the super-capacitor has failed. Did you check for that as suggested?
Yes thanks. Yes, I did notice that the last clip of today's recording was missing, as far as I could tell, though I wasn't sure as to exactly when we completed the journey. The most important consideration for now is that the date and time is correct, in case of any insurance claims.

The missing clip confirms a failed capacitor to replacing it will fix both issues. For insurance claims you'll want both functions operable, especially if your mishap happens during the last moments if you were to lose power to the camera.

The missing clip confirms a failed capacitor to replacing it will fix both issues. For insurance claims you'll want both functions operable, especially if your mishap happens during the last moments if you were to lose power to the camera.
Yes, you're right, of course. It is possible that a severe accident might stop the cameras recording.
Actually, a couple of days ago when the wife had been out in this freezing weather, she skidded in some slush and hit a dry stone wall. Fortunately, only a dented front panel. For several minutes afterwards, the recordings were flickering and ceasing for several seconds, presumably because the electrical connection to the camera had been interrupted.
C'est la vie!

Back