Mobius Super Capacitor.

About discharge times of a capacitor connected to MOBIUS dash cam.

Firstly

The low power real-time clock (RTC) minimum voltage level = 1.1 V (it’s not as I had initially assumed that to be around 3V-3.3V). This will give more room to keep the clock up and running on capacitor power supply modified cameras.

Secondly

Based on the test I have done, using various capacitor size, using various capacitors type, for the measured 18-19 micro amps camera power consumption, in the ideal conditions ( this means : capacitor leakage current = zero), using a 5F/5.5V capacitor (two 10F/2.7V series capacitors) we may expect for a total duration up to 18 days. Lowering the capacitance, up to the limit, we get smaller time duration, as for example a 3F/5.5V capacitor may produce a maximum duration of 10 days and using a 1F/5.5V we may expect up to 3-4 days.

However, there’s no such thing as the ideal capacitor, therefore the leakage capacitors current will decrease the total time duration. Based on examples of the capacitors technical datasheet, the expected leakage current value is situated in the 10 micro amps up to 50 micro amps range.(greater the capacity, greater the leakage current , and some good quality capacitors have lower leakage current)

5F Discharge chart.png

Optimistic time estimate provided in the attached chart

discharge chart 1.png

Using a 5F/5.5V -> 7 days up to 14 days

Using a 3F/5.5V -> 5 days up to 10 days

Not yet. I know I should upgrade soon, but with so many things happening at work I can't take the time to worry about the lower proioity projects.

Bob Diaz

Bob, my Mobius that got "fried" over Summer in the Aussie sun is still going strong. I wouldn't rush to change things over.

After two failure super-capacitor kits, finally, my third super-capacitor kit was OK.
So, as @Dashmellow guessed on #446 post, sometimes those capacitors are not so OK :)

Bob, my Mobius that got "fried" over Summer in the Aussie sun is still going strong. I wouldn't rush to change things over.

Here in Southern California, we're starting to see the warmer summer weather. Today we saw a high of 28C (82F), we're still a ways from the 38+C (100+F) days that tend to come in August and September. So far my little Mobius has dealt with the warmer weather without problems.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 5 months & 2 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording every time the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off. No problems to report.

Hi,

my 7 year old son installed the super capacitors in my two Mobius dashcams just a week ago. Right now everything works flewlessly including the timestamps.

Regards

Koetermann

P.S. I love this cam!

Hi everyone, I've been seraching through all the threads and read posts 1 - 8 on the main page, but I am still struggling and looking for some help re super capacitor.

I have just purchased this camera and charged it, tested it and it seemed to work fine, in as much as plugging in the camera to my PC I was able to watch the video it took. I've now fitted the super capacitor but I'm now not sure if its working.

The green charge light comes on for about a minute then goes off but the red led at the rear is on constantly.

Ideally I wanted the super capicitor so I did need an external power source in the car.

Can someone please advise how I actually know if the camera is now working please?

Kind Regards

Have you tried recording? The light sequence won't change with
capacitors. The blinking red light shows that it is recording.

Have you tried recording? The light sequence won't change with
capacitors. The blinking red light shows that it is recording.

I think I am being rather 'thick' now. Can you please remind me how to record again please?

Have you set up your settings using Windows GUI? If it's set to auto record, just connect it to power. If not, press the front (closest to the lens) button. The rear light should blink red and the top light blink yellow

After many ups and downs and countless hours of testing the developer has released the long awaited Step 3 firmware.
Official Firmware page: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25170908&postcount=3
Official Software Configuration page: http://mytempfiles.info/mobius/index.html

Have you set up your settings using Windows GUI? If it's set to auto record, just connect it to power. If not, press the front (closest to the lens) button. The rear light should blink red and the top light blink yellow

I thought I had I've used the mSETUP programme.

What happens (when plugged into USB power to PC and micro SD card fitted):
I turn on and blue light flashes, then rear red LED flashes 3 times, then solid yellow, then green (but only for about 20 seconds).

When I unplug from PC this happens:
I turn on and blue light flashes, then rear red LED flashes 3 times, then yellow flashes about 4 times, then blue flashes and then nothing, when I try and turn on again nothing.

I've re done both the GUI firmware and re-installed the latest software as per your links, but still nothing.

Its almost as if there is no charge in the capacitor (despite there being no green light suggesting its fully charged). I have tried several different USB cables and they certainly work when I connect to the PC as I can alter settings etc, so I am baffled.

Can you update to the latest firmware via the Windows GUI program with the super capacitor installed or do you need to remove the capacitor and reinstall the battery.

Can you update to the latest firmware via the Windows GUI program with the super capacitor installed or do you need to remove the capacitor and reinstall the battery.

Hi FatPanda, I updated with the super capacitor installed, but the mobius doesn't want to turn on unless there is an external power source (even after charging).

What do you mean here?

Hi Jokiin, sorry that should read that I wanted the super capcitor so I could do away with the need for an external power source when I am using it as a dash cam.

Hi Jokiin, sorry that should read that I wanted the super capcitor so I could do away with the need for an external power source when I am using it as a dash cam.

I thought that what you meant, seems you misunderstand what the capacitors are about

You need external power

I thought that what you meant, seems you misunderstand what the capacitors are about

You need external power
Dear All, in that case I apologise. I clearly thought that a capacitor was like a super battery, in as much that when charged it would last longer than the 80 minutes of the battery.

I also thought that when charged (because I thought it lasted longer than a normal battery) I could do away with the power source.

Excuse my naiviety why then use one?

Back