Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

Example of AV connection to a TV set..

TV set using BNC video input and RCA audio inputs. Only the audio left channel in use. (Audio mono output from MOBIUS dash cam).

I have used the provided Mobius mini USB to AV/Power cable

m2.jpg

m5.jpg

m3.jpg

m1a.jpg

Extract from comment by Tom Frank at RCGroups today...

"...with so much time being spent developing already planned new FW features as well as new hardware development".

Could this mean that the Mobius developer is working on a dedicated DashCam? Wishful thinking?

"...with so much time being spent developing already planned new FW features as well as new hardware development".

Could this mean that the Mobius developer is working on a dedicated DashCam? Wishful thinking?

I'm of two minds about the prospect of a new hardware development; excitement and dread. I've have visions of another long slog through firmware updates to sort out newly emerging glitches in optimizing for the new hardware. On the other hand the idea of perhaps a newer DSP or other capabilities makes me salivate.

...another long slog through firmware updates to sort out newly emerging glitches in optimizing for the new hardware.

When I bought my first one on 1st October, the Mobius had been on sale for only 3 months, yet the supplied firmware (v0.47 I think) was satisfactory from my point of view, & it wouldn't have bothered me much if development ceased with that version.

I'm glad they did continue continue firmware development, as it demonstrates commitment to making the product as good as it can be, & also because v0.53 made it capacitor-ready, which I initially regarded as an option, but now consider essential.

Last edited:

I think there's a lot too much wishful thinking here ;). A dedicated DashCam? I believe I can put an honest and definite NO to that question! But don't worry, the developer takes the DashCam community seriously and hasn't forgotten them.
It's obvious the developer wants to keep up with technology, but he also doesn't want to make the big mistake of jumping in too soon. I suspect Tom was referring to some new modifications that have been planned with the existing Mobius and not to a completely new project using a different DSP. There have already been a good number of hardware modifications made to the Mobius which have specifically addressed stability and robustness. Most people aren't even aware of the on-going HW development.
FW development will always lag months behind HW development, so even if the developer had decided on a new HW project (which I'm not aware of), then it would take many, many months to get the FW up and running correctly. For the time being we should look forward to the upcoming Step 3 FW which was planned more than 12 months ago. The new version will offer a lot of new functionality to the existing Mobius, so it's mouth-watering all the same :)

I think there's a lot too much wishful thinking here ;). A dedicated DashCam? I believe I can put an honest and definite NO to that question! But don't worry, the developer takes the DashCam community seriously and hasn't forgotten them.
It's obvious the developer wants to keep up with technology, but he also doesn't want to make the big mistake of jumping in too soon. I suspect Tom was referring to some new modifications that have been planned with the existing Mobius and not to a completely new project using a different DSP. There have already been a good number of hardware modifications made to the Mobius which have specifically addressed stability and robustness. Most people aren't even aware of the on-going HW development.
FW development will always lag months behind HW development, so even if the developer had decided on a new HW project (which I'm not aware of), then it would take many, many months to get the FW up and running correctly. For the time being we should look forward to the upcoming Step 3 FW which was planned more than 12 months ago. The new version will offer a lot of new functionality to the existing Mobius, so it's mouth-watering all the same :)
Is there any sort of hint of a rough timeframe for new FW release date, even if very approximate? Are we talking weeks or months here?

Last edited:
Is there any sort of hint of a rough timeframe for new FW release date, even if very approximate? Are we talking weeks or months here?
I'm afraid no one can tell you. We've tested about a dozen Step 3 firmware versions since the beginning of April and there are still some issues that need sorting out. Most of the problems need to be solved before release or people will start whining that the firmware (camera) is c#&p and they don't want to be treated as guinea pigs. So, your guess is as good as mine. Maybe a few days (very doubtful), maybe a few weeks, or even a month or two.

I'm afraid no one can tell you. We've tested about a dozen Step 3 firmware versions since the beginning of April and there are still some issues that need sorting out. Most of the problems need to be solved before release or people will start whining that the firmware (camera) is c#&p and they don't want to be treated as guinea pigs. So, your guess is as good as mine. Maybe a few days (very doubtful), maybe a few weeks, or even a month or two.

But some of us LIKE being guinea pigs. :) In certain ways, it's one of the engaging aspects of what the Mobius is all about. We've had the color shift issues, the flashing at night thing, the card compatibility problems along with a whole assortment of other bugs. Things might get boring otherwise and it's always like a cliff-hanger waiting to see what the next iteration of the firmware will bring. No other camera offers us such thrills. And where would the developer be without us guinea pig types, anyway? ;)

But some of us LIKE being guinea pigs. :) In certain ways, it's one of the engaging aspects of what the Mobius is all about. We've had the color shift issues, the flashing at night thing, the card compatibility problems along with a whole assortment of other bugs. Things might get boring otherwise and it's always like a cliff-hanger waiting to see what the next iteration of the firmware will bring. No other camera offers us such thrills. And where would the developer be without us guinea pig types, anyway? ;)
I know, but there are always two sides to the coin ;)
All the issues you mentioned, at least most of them, were missed by the beta testers :(. People will always find new issues in the complex firmware and I'm sure it will never be 100% bug free. Like you, it doesn't bother me so long the main functionality works or there is a workaround or I know the bug will be corrected in an upcoming version. I'm used to finding bugs in my own software as well as in other people's (even big names!!).
Unfortunately, there will always be some people who make a bug a big deal and keep pushing it and pushing it. I think Tom even had to close his RC thread once or twice because of all the nagging.
Like you say, no other camera comes anywhere near to the Mobius' feature list, at least for the price you pay.

Yeah, I understand. That's why I said, "some of us". And those hardcore, chronic complainers and whiners just wouldn't know what to do with themselves if there were no bugs or glitches to moan about. It seems to be what they live for. People like that never seem to do anything interesting or worthwhile with the technology they own.

Last edited:
So, I just had an unusual experience with one of my Mobius cameras. It is the one I use in the rear of my vehicle. It's been running flawlessly for months with a super-capacitor and a 32GB SanDisk class 10 card. Two days ago, I reviewed the footage from the card, reformatted it with mSetup and put the card back in the camera.

I can always know the camera is functioning properly by seeing the red rear LED "pilot light" pulsating in the rear view mirror. Today, (a very hot and humid day) I left the house and the camera was working fine as I went about my day. On the way home however, I noticed the camera was dead and so while driving I unplugged and plugged it in a few times. It would flash red three times but that was it. There was actually more going on with the LED indicator on top of the camera but I just couldn't see that while driving.

When I got home, I took the camera inside and tested it with an AC powered USB adapter. (Just now) The yellow indicator would start to flash repeatedly 17 times, suddenly speed up dramatically, flash red a few times very rapidly, then yellow and then the camera would abruptly shut down.

The first thing I tried was another microSD card (a Kingston 32GB class 10) and everything went back to normal. The next thing was to try reformatting the original SanDisk card. Reformatting the card fixed the issue.

This is the first time I've ever experienced a card getting corrupted in the course of normal operation. Perhaps the card is failing?

Has anyone else experienced anything like this before? I'm glad it was just the card.

Like you say, no other camera comes anywhere near to the Mobius' feature list, at least for the price you pay.
Couldn't agree more with that statement!:cool:

Has anyone else experienced anything like this before? I'm glad it was just the card.

Yup, I have just experienced issues with a card too. Maybe it's not the same as yours, still... Thread here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, I have just experienced issues with a card too. Maybe it's not the same as yours, still... Thread here.

Thanks. I did see that thread a week ago but I forgot all about it by yesterday. I'm just glad that the camera stops functioning rather than driving around thinking I'm recording only to discover sometime later that the card is corrupt. It will be interesting to see if it happens again or whether it was a one time glitch. Maybe it was a cosmic ray glitch? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
...I'm just glad that the camera stops functioning rather than driving around thinking I'm recording only to discover sometime later that the card is corrupt...

Lucky you. Mine just kept on recording. The files were all there looking fine... till I tried watch them. :mad: Grrrr That's evil! Cosmic glitch? Maybe. Or the aliens!

Lucky you. Mine just kept on recording. The files were all there looking fine... till I tried watch them. :mad: Grrrr That's evil! Cosmic glitch? Maybe. Or the aliens!

Perhaps mine was a different issue. I'll just have to keep my eye on it for awhile and see what happens. Either the SanDisk card has failed or is in the process of failing or it was some sort of one time glitch. At least in my case, the camera seems to recognize the bad card on power-up. (as it should) The question is why it would happen all of a sudden during several hours of normal camera operation making one or two previous stops in my vehicle.

I have a little problem I hardwired my mobius last week but it doesn't work as it should. I plugged it with a cigarette adapter and a 3 meter long cable. I also use the 20 Centimeter lens extension cable.

But most of the time it doesn't record anymore. And when it does it's starts recording and after a few seconds it stops.

When it's recording the video files often look like this:

Maybe somebody already head the same problem and can give me an advice

you inserted the cable the wrong way.
the cable need to be aligned perfectly.
remove the cable and reinstall it.
check the connection to the circuit board and the connection to the lens also.

and make sure that your cigarette adapter is giving 5V.
and 1A minimum.

I checked all the connections and reconnected the plugs. I also connected it in the right way.

I have still this problem :-(

Some other advice or should I maybe just buy another extension cable?

I checked all the connections and reconnected the plugs. I also connected it in the right way.

maybe you bent the cable too much?
the lens ribbon (connected to the camera module) is sensitive.

Your symptoms look very familiar compared to what I see with the extension cable.

New cable could theoretically be a solution, but I doubt that since my camera seems to work just fine at home with a pc as the power source.

I can't try this myself at the moment, but I am going to try to eliminate the power source from the possible faulty component list by taking a laptop to the car and feeding power from its usb port. If the issues go away with this, then it must be the psu quality which introduces the issue.

Back